LaunchBox Community Forums

GOG Dos games

Drakkorcia

I have been buying some GOG releases lately and from what I gather when you click the GOG exe it unpacks the original assets and a Dosbox folder to run it. I then can use the Dos game importer in Launchbox and it uses the game exe  it finds with Dosbox and all is well. However, some games close and won't run when launched through Launchbox but will run if I click on the desktop shortcut GOG created. For example, when imported into Launchbox, Tex Murphy Under A Killing Moon's launch executable "MOON.exe" will launch the game to a blank screen and close after several seconds. But if I click the shortcut on the desktop, which seems to be MOON.exe being launched from the Dosbox in the GOG folder, it runs fine. Any workarounds? Obviously, this isn't the end of the world because I can play outside of Launchbox, but it would be nice to have everything organized and contained.

Just import the shortcut for the game into LB, it'll work fine. Just use "none of the above" when you import it. Or if you've already imported it as DOS, just edit the game in your library and uncheck the use DOSBox box. You basically just want to import them just like regular PC games. Import the shortcut, don't use DOSBox (in LB, because the shortcut itself is already going to be setup to direct it to DOSBox), and it'll take care of the rest.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, leafstk said:

What platform do you recommend for GOG games?

Personally I would put them under Windows.

(I have LB No Intro and have yet to add the scummvm pack)

We can't support the LB No Intro pack you have downloaded elsewhere.

I also have some games thru Origin, also just drop the launcher/shortcut like GOG?

Yes but keep in mind of course you will need to have Origin loaded and running for the shortcut to work.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, leafstk said:

What platform do you recommend for GOG games? Windows? Scummvm? I'm a little unsure (I have LB No Intro and have yet to add the scummvm pack)

It's entirely dependent on the game. There's no reason you need to heap them all into one thing. If it's a DOS game, add it under DOS. If it's a Windows game, add it under Windows. Just because you can get them both from GOG, it doesn't mean you need to put Betrayal at Krondor and Witcher 3 in the same platform.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2019 at 2:37 PM, Zombeaver said:

It's entirely dependent on the game. There's no reason you need to heap them all into one thing. If it's a DOS game, add it under DOS. If it's a Windows game, add it under Windows. Just because you can get them both from GOG, it doesn't mean you need to put Betrayal at Krondor and Witcher 3 in the same platform.

This is exactly what I do. GOG has a mixture of DOS games and Windows 9x games and I separate them by its original platform. I do a Google search if need be to see what platform it was originally released on. In my case all PC games go under the main category "Computer" and sub it down to its original platform; "Windows" for modern releases, "Windows 9x" for older Windows games, and "MS-DOS" for DOS. This gives me the authentic organization I desire so The Witcher 3 isn't sitting next to Tex Murphy.