LaunchBox Community Forums

Dealing with different Mame Rom clones/versions in Big Box

vaderag

So I know that I can get a list of the game versions that I have within BigBox and grab those as needed, but what I'd like to know is two things...

1) How do I separate out a clone/version into a 'copy' of that other version so they live alongside?

2) How do I set a default version that is chosen

Example use case for 1 - Pacman with speedup hacks

Example for case 2 - Turtles in Time has a 2p variant and I only have a 2p cab

Thanks!

Whatever you have listed in the additional apps tab (within Edit Game) will then be tied to the main game (if right click will be in pop window).  You can make one in the list the default with the Make Default button. However, one thing to note is that on the Arcade/Mame side if you use the import Mame Full Set feature again it will reset your defaults. Not an issue with the other platforms.  Capture2.thumb.PNG.30f7fe9cbcc79d0a7291c46f9910871e.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.8be6154e6686bc7ae83a8f53403b4f9c.PNG

Edited by sundogak

If you want to have a different game be the facing game you just go to the game click it hit ctrl+e or right click and choose edit. the go to the path tab and change the game part to the specific rom you want so if its displaying sf3iii and you want to use sf3iiiu just add the u to the path and next time you launch the game it should launch that version (this isn't really helpful if you want to have to games showing but will help in your 2 player vs 4 player example from earlier)

55 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

If you want to have a different game be the facing game you just go to the game click it hit ctrl+e or right click and choose edit. the go to the path tab and change the game part to the specific rom you want so if its displaying sf3iii and you want to use sf3iiiu just add the u to the path and next time you launch the game it should launch that version (this isn't really helpful if you want to have to games showing but will help in your 2 player vs 4 player example from earlier)

Thanks - can that be localised to a playlist?

i.e. if i wanted a playlist of 'clones worth playing' or something?

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2018 at 5:19 AM, vaderag said:

Thanks - can that be localised to a playlist?

i.e. if i wanted a playlist of 'clones worth playing' or something?

I would like to do this too.  For same reason as I don't have right click ability in cab, nor do I want to right click and select a different version.  I just want it listed separately. 

Even a duplicate option would be great and then just edit the name and which rom to launch.

23 minutes ago, Fwiler said:

I would like to do this too.  For same reason as I don't have right click ability in cab, nor do I want to right click and select a different version.  I just want it listed separately. 

Even a duplicate option would be great and then just edit the name and which rom to launch.

Glad I'm not alone - there are plenty of games that this makes sense for!

If i understand correctly, you are wanting to have each game listed as a separate game in Big Box?  If so, if the roms you want to separate out are listed as "additional apps" you would HAVE to use launchbox like mentioned before, right click on the game and choose "expand  selected games" option in the menu.  You can only edit games using launchbox. This allow you to have say, the 2p TMNT and the 4p TMNT roms as separate games.  I think this way makes it tougher to know which is which when you get into Big Box as some games typically have the same name.  You could then create a custom playlist from these games if you wanted.

What i do is leave the games as additional apps.  In Big Box, if you have not changed the default setting, selecting a game will take you into the game details.  There is an option there for "additional apps" this will bring up a window which allows you to choose between the 2 and 4 player versions of a rom, or different variations.  I have mine setup to launch a game directly to avoid the 2 steps to launch a game.  However, i have a key set up to go into the "game details" screen which will allow me to choose a different rom/clone that is listed as an additional app.

The other option i believe would to reimport the full set (assuming that is what you are using) you could choose the option to "import all clones as separate games" (not recommended by the importer.  

• Thanks 2