LaunchBox Community Forums

Can LaunchBox metadata be password locked?

Dennnisss

Hi, I help out at a gallery/DIY space for video games & game art. (Babycastles in NYC if you're curious).

We've been talking about creating an archive of all the games that have been on display at our gallery in the past, and of having that archive be available on a machine that's permanently installed at our gallery.

In a lot of ways LaunchBox seems perfect for arranging and presenting those games in an attractive and accessible way. The only issue is that we need a way to make sure that users of the machine are not able to mess around with metadata, add/delete games on their own or change various settings. Is there a way to password-lock LaunchBox so that only 'administrators' can make permanent changes to the collection?

I will do a feature request, but I wanted to make sure that this wasn't already part of the program before I do so. As an aside, I know of several university level game design programs which are building game libraries, and I could see LaunchBox being very useful for those types of settings as well if this feature were available.

LaunchBox does have a pin lock system, which might work well enough if you use arcade controls and don't allow access to a keyboard. Otherwise though, locking down all of Windows can be very difficult. Typically with an arcade board though you can just prevent certain keys from being pressed, like Alt+Tab, Start, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know. How can I Submit a request for this feature? I clicked on help and support and upgraded my account there but I still don't know how to submit a request. I hope my request is simple and I'm sure many other users need a feature like this. Thanks for all your support, and I hope to hear from anyone who has an interest in this feature or that can kindly work on it. Thanks again.

20 minutes ago, MetalRaven said:

I know. How can I Submit a request for this feature? I clicked on help and support and upgraded my account there but I still don't know how to submit a request. I hope my request is simple and I'm sure many other users need a feature like this. Thanks for all your support, and I hope to hear from anyone who has an interest in this feature or that can kindly work on it. Thanks again.

The feature request option is under Help & Support.

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 6.20.13 PM.png

8 hours ago, MetalRaven said:

I already did that step. I upgraded my account as instructed by the site, but I didn't c anywhere where I could submit my request. What I see on the site that I'm being redirected is to begin to code, I don't know how to code. lol.  Thanks for replying.

The Request a Feature option should lead you to the Launchbox bitbucket site. You would need to register first. After you register either search for Launchbox or click on the Request a Feature again and it should take you straight to the image below. In the upper right hand corner click "Create Issue". Not sure what you are seeing about coding. The image below is what I see. 

Once you can create a request I would link it in your other post. The more that vote for it the more Jason will see it is wanted by the community. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 6.13.55 AM.png