LaunchBox Community Forums

Visual Pinball

onebadws6

15 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

I've never seen that error message. Is it a LaunchBox or Visual Pinball X error?

Anyways, I use an arcade controller (keyboard module driven) to control my Visual Pinball X table; but I have played around and set up an Xbox 360 controller before and it works decently. It is impossible to get the triggers working though through VPX - you have to use the bumpers as flippers, and set other buttons for your nudge. To set up your controller, you should just be able to go into the (VPX) ... Preferences > Configures Keys, Nudge, and DOF. Then in that window, you will see a drop down menu under each action where you can select the controller button number. Do this for every action you want. Though, you will need to know your button numbers of your controller. This should be the numbers for yours.

555917642_Xbox-buttons.thumb.JPG.05a1c34bc40266d185920f19664ba321.JPG

It was a VPX error. The same thing happened if i were to run it through LB or the emulator itself. But I will try these steps provided here on the thread today and see if I have any luck. But I wanted to be sure...does the VPX emulator recognize bluetooth controllers or do they need to be plugged in? Thank you! 

13 hours ago, sundogak said:

@GamerMTL What do you have mapped in Preferences, Configure Key's option box in Visual Pinball?  Here is an Xbox One setup I have on one of the desktop machines:

Capture.thumb.JPG.90b9bb172ef4634c8500ab53ac099f40.JPGAbove settings are mapped as shown below on controller (note the triggers are not mappable without a program like Joy2key or Xpadder):

d.thumb.JPG.747a2a4d4ec2b8e35cffccf3b635cc60.JPGNote: @ItchyRobotThe VP controller buttons start at 1 (A Button) and not Zero like Retroarch so the above diagram is off by one for each button.

I will try this today...just not sure if the software recognizes Bluetooth controllers. Thank you!!

@GamerMTL As point of reference, my XBOX ONE controller is the non-Bluetooth wireless with a USB dongle. My older 360 controller (also with a USB dongle) worked as well.  In theory, the bluetooth version should work, but pinball software each have their oddities to deal with.  If doesn't work, then the Joy2Key, Xpadder, or X360ce route are the next options to try as ItchyRobot has done with Joy2Key.  I have also seen options to use Steam as the controller overlay for VPX, but I haven't tried it.  The controller programs do offer lots of flexibility but they do add another external program layer to manage within LB. 

15 minutes ago, sundogak said:

@GamerMTL As point of reference, my XBOX ONE controller is the non-Bluetooth wireless with a USB dongle. My older 360 controller (also with a USB dongle) worked as well.  In theory, the bluetooth version should work, but pinball software each have their oddities to deal with.  If doesn't work, then the Joy2Key, Xpadder, or X360ce route are the next options to try as ItchyRobot has done with Joy2Key.  I have also seen options to use Steam as the controller overlay for VPX, but I haven't tried it.  The controller programs do offer lots of flexibility but they do add another external program layer to manage within LB. 

For what it's worth, this is how I have my Xbox controller to work with Joy2Key (see image below). It basically mimics the keyboard keys of my arcade controller shown above the Xbox controller. I know this can all be pretty confusing, when talking about mimicking key strokes, and understanding how some arcade controls are actually remapped keyboards. That's why I was a little hesitant to bring it up originally. Since I hardly ever use my Xbox controller to play pinball, I still have not researched how to make LaunchBox/BigBox automatically open/close Joy2Key only when I launch/close VPX tables. So I have to open close Joy2Key manually for now in those few occasions. Any help with this would be appreciated.

... I only set up the Xbox controller with the intention that I am eventually going to share this build with my nephew, who does not own an arcade style controller; so he would use the Xbox controller. If I could get Joy2Key to open/close as I use VPX, that would be great.

1806477171_VisualPinballX.thumb.jpg.dccf6db92440e665cc6e7f36c3bfcba8.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sundogak said:

@GamerMTL What do you have mapped in Preferences, Configure Key's option box in Visual Pinball?  Here is an Xbox One setup I have on one of the desktop machines:

Capture.thumb.JPG.90b9bb172ef4634c8500ab53ac099f40.JPGAbove settings are mapped as shown below on controller (note the triggers are not mappable without a program like Joy2key or Xpadder):

d.thumb.JPG.747a2a4d4ec2b8e35cffccf3b635cc60.JPGNote: @ItchyRobotThe VP controller buttons start at 1 (A Button) and not Zero like Retroarch so the above diagram is off by one for each button.

In that upper screen I put in the exact information as yours...but it doesn't talk with my controllers...either on Bluetooth or if I hard wire it through USB. It's bizarre! I get an error message with  the following.... Line 111 Object required "Contoller"

I also did notice some of the pictures shown above with the RetroArch logo...I am not using 

Just now, JoeViking245 said:

That sounds like a VPX table error.  Does that same table work otherwise?  i.e. without the controller setup and just the keyboard?

Let me try that...

3 minutes ago, GamerMTL said:

I also did notice some of the pictures shown above with the RetroArch logo...I am not using 

Let me try that...

Yup I tried that and still nothing...weird. I'm wondering is there a step by step somewhere on how to start putting that info in for the controller and whatever else this software needs. Also I was wondering can i use RetroArch...I never have issues with that program. So nothing changed, same error pops up and another window with bunch of info in a script.

You cannot use Retroarch with the pinball setups.  The graphic I had in my message is something I snapped out of my Pause screen setups.  The logo is a "NO RA" logo meaning it isn't emulator using RA.  Just my cryptic notes to self.  The other one that Itchyrobot attached was just an RA mapping for the controller numbers that RA uses.  VPX maps the same only it starts at 1 versus zero. He was just using that as a reference point, so can ignore the RA logos/references. 

Screen snap your controller setup so we can see what is going on.  Is your controller working with other emulators?  Working with LB?  Showing up in windows (I assume)?

Also to eliminate possible table issue, open up table that is automatically installed by VPX called Nudge Test and Calibration.vpx (in tables folder). That will allow you to see if your controller is working without the issue of buggy table. 

Edited by sundogak
Added table calibration note
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sundogak said:

You cannot use Retroarch with the pinball setups.  The graphic I had in my message is something I snapped out of my Pause screen setups.  The logo is a "NO RA" logo meaning it isn't emulator using RA.  Just my cryptic notes to self.  The other one that Itchyrobot attached was just an RA mapping for the controller numbers that RA uses.  VPX maps the same only it starts at 1 versus zero. He was just using that as a reference point, so can ignore the RA logos/references. 

Screen snap your controller setup so we can see what is going on.  Is your controller working with other emulators?  Working with LB?  Showing up in windows (I assume)?

Also to eliminate possible table issue, open up table that is automatically installed by VPX called Nudge Test and Calibration.vpx (in tables folder). That will allow you to see if your controller is working without the issue of buggy table. 

Thank you for that wealth of information. I will have time to get you all that info tomorrow. Many thanks for everyone's help!!

15 hours ago, GamerMTL said:

Thank you for that wealth of information. I will have time to get you all that info tomorrow. Many thanks for everyone's help!!

Hi, I took a look at what you suggested by opening up the VPX Nudge Test Calibration file. So it seems that some buttons are tied into the keyboard and others are tied to my Xbox controller. So now I'm even more confused!! LOL!! Is there a way to bind all those needed functions to my controller? This is what I can't figure out. Here is a pic, if it will help. And yes, my controllers work with other emulators and Launchbox. Thanks for the help again. 

VPX pic 1.JPG

Edited by GamerMTL

Your Left Flipper on the Keyboard is "A".  But there is nothing (none) assigned to your controller.

Your Right Flipper on the Keyboard is "  '  " (a single quote).   It is also assigned to "Button 2" on your controller.  This is good.

BUT!!!!!!!......   So is your Start Game, Add Credit, Plunger, Exit Game and Lockbar/Fire.  Not good.image.thumb.png.0caa2a108b35e434a34ee678f10c2d03.png  

11 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Your Left Flipper on the Keyboard is "A".  But there is nothing (none) assigned to your controller.

Your Right Flipper on the Keyboard is "  '  " (a single quote).   It is also assigned to "Button 2" on your controller.  This is good.

BUT!!!!!!!......   So is your Start Game, Add Credit, Plunger, Exit Game and Lockbar/Fire.  Not good.image.thumb.png.0caa2a108b35e434a34ee678f10c2d03.png  

Hi, yes I corrected it. It goes into the game but doesn't respond to my controller. Tried the nudge test and there it works. But upon launching a few games...there is no response, can't even start the game.

Edited by GamerMTL

18 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

That sounds like a VPX table error.  Does that same table work otherwise?  i.e. without the controller setup and just the keyboard?

No it doesn't work at all...it's one error after another. I tried to install the 10.6 installer this time rather than the standalone and still no luck. When I try the nudge test...controller works only there!!

14 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Did you try checking Override Default Button Layout?image.png.66b67b0b9d2d1dc5d5c5504100b99f78.png

Tried it...no luck...it gives me a different message....Line 1419 Object required: "Controller"

I also tried to download another game...Firepower...no luck with this game as well.

8 hours ago, GamerMTL said:

Tried it...no luck...it gives me a different message....Line 1419 Object required: "Controller"

I also tried to download another game...Firepower...no luck with this game as well.

Did you install the 'all in one' installer? Where did you get your VPX installation resources? I got mine from the official build, link below (and had no issues - other than learning how it all works together)...
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/vpx-installer-10-6-0/

Edited by ItchyRobot
  • Thanks 1