LaunchBox Community Forums

Visual Pinball

onebadws6

Any of you Visual Pinball X people having issues with screen focus with the latest Launchbox build? When I launch VPX with Launchbox or BigBox, the table comes up but I have to grab my mouse and click in the screen to make VPX gain focus. And sometimes my DMD is behind the table. And sometimes my taskbar is still visible.
If I launch VPX stand-alone, it works fine.... table screen is active to put credits in table and the DMD is on top of table screen.

And I was just thinking I had a killer build going ... feels like my entire build is falling apart lately, shit breaking for no reason. Random crashes. God damn this hobby!

Edited by ItchyRobot

Seems to be working fine on 10.15 BB and LB on at least the 6 or so tables I tested. Using VPX 10.6 and Freezy DMDExt 1.8 (recent update). I did have a task bar issue but it was related to a problem I had with DMDExt install (the DMDExt DLL got overwritten with old version somehow) rather than anything LB related. Once I updated I haven't seen the issue. But I have always found getting VPX, DMD, and B2S  in sync is a bit of dark art.

10 minutes ago, sundogak said:

Seems to be working fine on 10.15 BB and LB on at least the 6 or so tables I tested. Using VPX 10.6 and Freezy DMDExt 1.8 (recent update). I did have a task bar issue but it was related to a problem I had with DMDExt install (the DMDExt DLL got overwritten with old version somehow) rather than anything LB related. Once I updated I haven't seen the issue. But I have always found getting VPX, DMD, and B2S  in sync is a bit of dark art.

Which of those files do I download?  And where do I put it? It's been a while since I messed that that stuff.

Edited by ItchyRobot

I used the ZIP file versus the MSI installer. But my DMDExt files are all in the root of the VPinMAME directory.  So the DMDext.EXE, DLLs, etc in ...\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\ 

Just make sure to backup your DMDDevice.ini file which should be in same directory prior to install/zip.

18 minutes ago, sundogak said:

I used the ZIP file versus the MSI installer. But my DMDExt files are all in the root of the VPinMAME directory.  So the DMDext.EXE, DLLs, etc in ...\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME\ 

Just make sure to backup your DMDDevice.ini file which should be in same directory prior to install/zip.

Thanks, but that didn't work. I still can not see my DMD unless I alt+tab. Then as soon as I click the table screen, the DMD goes back behind the table.
Though it all works perfectly fine if I open the table in VPX instead of BigBox

Fucking driving me nuts. Dark art indeed. This sucks because it all used to work great.

37 minutes ago, sundogak said:

I reverted my Geforce GTX 1660 back to the previous version of Game Ready drivers and it is working fine now. Now I am remembering why I hate PC gaming so much  =P   Fucking drivers

36 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Potty mouth.

Farts! I spoke too soon. I have my DMD working fine now after reverting back to a prior release of Game Rerady drivers for my Nvidia 1660. But BigBox can not pass focus to the VPX table. Instead I have to click the mouse somewhere in the screen to activate it so I can put credits in/start.

Any ideas?

I've had that happen when I change/update something in VPX or on a new table.  Not sure specifically what fixed it, but clicking on the table to 'activate' it, alt-tab to see the DMD, click the table [again]... several more alt-tabs' and clicks, some 'choice words' said [that are not appropriate for a public forum]... exit the table, restart it, wash, rinse, repeat maybe a couple times.... and holy smack!!!  It's working just fine.

I think it's a matter of [re]teaching VPX that "Yo! this is the window that's supposed to be active! Fix it."  And it does.  Same thing [sometimes] with Dolphin.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else had script errors when opening some tables. I've tried about 10 random tables and it's happened on most. Opens up an error box stating object required: Controller, and also a script editor screen. 

Must be something simple...please help

2 hours ago, Bashyman said:

Is anyone else had script errors when opening some tables. I've tried about 10 random tables and it's happened on most. Opens up an error box stating object required: Controller, and also a script editor screen. 

Must be something simple...please help

Do you have a Backglass server set up?

The vpforums have guides on that. My guess is the tables are saved with reference to a backglass controller.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Regarding the screen focus... I am running Visual Pinball X 10.7.2, and experienced the issue with screen focus. I do have a DMD, so maybe that is the root cause. I suspect dmdext starts together with VPX, and then VPX looses the focus.
Anyhow, it seems I have fixed it for me by going to manage/emulators/Visual Pinball X, and add the following in "Running Script". 
This should make AHK wait for "Visual Pinball Player" window for up to 30s, and then activate that window. 

WinWait, Visual Pinball Player,,30
WinActivate, Visual Pinball Player

At least, it seems to be working for me.