LaunchBox Community Forums

Why do so many of my MAME Roms not work?

ZeusMP

Hi, just bought Big Box not long ago and am really pleased with how its all turned out.  I have spent a really long time setting up the images and videos and still not half way thorugh!!. 

Anyway got nearly every emulator working apart from MAME (and Fairchild F but aparently that work through MAME?), a lot of the games work but there are so many many that don't and I can't figure out why.  I followed the video tutorial and like I say it does work to an extent but want to make sure its not something im doing wrong.  So im using MAME64 (tried both 0.202 and 0.205) standalone as described via the video and not the retroarch core.  I also have a MAME romset 0.202.

So what happens is that many games just say something along the lines of "the selected machine is missing one or more required rom or chd files".  So for games like the 1940 series,, none of them work they all say the same thing.  I found posts regarding QSOUND, but looked in the romset I have and its already in there along with QSOUND HLE.  Ive tried different versions of MAME, tried starting it out of LAunchbox and directly from mame and have the same error.  MAME has it in its workig category apparently.  Could it be that they just don't work or am I actually missing something?.  

If anyone has a advice or guidance that would be great.     

If you have the 0.202 MAME romset then use 0.202 of the MAME emulator. Also depending on the romset type you have you may be missing the bios files, the non-merged romset contains all the bios files inside each game zip, the other two merged and split may not have those bios files in the romset at all.

I can confirm that all the 1940 series do indeed work providing your romset is good, are using the correct version of the emulator and you have the bios files.

Ah I see, thanks so its possibly that I may be missing the BIOs files.  So sorry to ask another noob questoin but how can I tell if I have amerged or split romset?, is it literally the roms inside are indiviual or in one big zip file?.  Mine are all split in seperate files by the looks of it.  Also how can I tell if I have the correct BIOS files if any?, as I have looked online but it seems to relate to older version which im not sure will help me or not.

21 hours ago, ZeusMP said:

how can I tell if I have amerged or split romset?

Joe's rendition take-away from https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html using ROMS for the game 1941.

A merged set will have 1 zip file containing the parent game data and all clone games data.  For example "1941.zip"  will contain 19 files & 3 folders. (MAME 0.201)

split sets and  non-merged sets will have the parent and clone game data in separate zip files.  i.e. 1941.zip, 1941j.zip, 1941r1.zip, 1941u.zip.  In this case "1941.zip" contains 19 files  and no folders.   Look inside "1942u.zip".  If it contains 19 files it part of a non-merged set .  If it only contains 4 (or 5?) files, it with a split set.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys thanks for all you replies and srry for my late one.  Im a lot more informed about it now and its a split set I have.  It turned it it was a bad romset as I spent the last couple days aquiring another and it works now.  Thanks again. 

• Game On 1

3 minutes ago, nwalt36 said:

So I have a question on that similar issue for mame.  I have the .202 rom set and have the .205 mame64 installed.  Is there a simple way to go back to the old mame64 .202 version without overriding anything and having to rescan games?  

Just go to tools/manage emulators, double click your MAME entry and use the browse button to point to the MAME 0.202 exe instead of where it is currently pointing.

Thanks for the help.  It does seem like of bunch of the flying games weren't working.  It seemed like about 1 out 20 random games didn't load up, but mainly the 1940, 1941, etc. that's talked about above. If you alphabetize games and play ascending order it seemed like alot. 

Im experiencing similar issues. I currently am running MAME 0.206 with a Merged MAME 0.206 Rom set. I have found that particular roms initialize and boot me back to the Launchbox UI. When I attempt to run them through MAME, I receive the "Selected Machine is Missing one or more required Rom/CHD images" error. Im assuming I need to go through the process of acquiring the bios for these games in order for them to work properly, but would it make more sense for me to scrap the merged romset I have for an older non-merged set so all the required files are already there? Or are finding the bios not that difficult and require something as simple as putting the bios files into the same folder as the one that currently contains my roms?

I was actually going to include the fact that the majority of the games that are giving me this errors are CPS1, 2, 3, TAITO, DATA East, SNK/NEOGEO, and CAVE. Im sure there are more but of those that I tried I was met with similar results. I understand that the CHDS are quite large packages. Is this looking like my only route to getting these to work properly?

Yeah I went out of my way to try and get the same versions of both the Emulator and Rom Set thinking it would help me avoid issues like this, but here I am. When I try to run a game such as Aero Fighters 3/Sonic Wings just through MAME I receive the following screen despite it saying that the game itself is functioning.  

51552787_2219088291750878_26550269083952

As far as Launchbox goes, I placed the MAME folder in the Launchbox folder. In the MAME folder, I then placed the games in the Roms folder, so the file path looks like this - E:\LaunchBox\MAME\roms. Whether running them in launchbox or just in MAME, some games will work, so the location of the roms should be right, but most games like the ones I had mentioned dont work for whatever reason. I appreciate your patience in trying to help me figure this out by the way. 

Ok this is weird, if you put your roms in your \Mame\Roms folder you don't need to tell Mame where they are since that is the default location.

If some games work then things are definitely setup correctly.

Can you find your neogeo.zip file in your \Mame\Roms folder, open it in 7zip or whatever file compression software you use and take a screenshot of that window ?
It should look like this:
screenshot_71.thumb.jpg.31dff89f33e95fe5fb567305a6b10037.jpgAlso how big is your rom collection ? Right click the folder and check the properties, it should be approximately 60GB.

So I checked the size of the file. It comes out to about 13.7GB. So that might be my problem there. I have also kept the files zipped, so that may also be the issue. If thats the case it would just be as simple as selecting all the files and then unzipping them into the roms folder, no?

SCREENSHOT ROMS.PNG

21 minutes ago, rivalcycle said:

I have also kept the files zipped, so that may also be the issue.

They need to be zipped, Mame does not like them unzipped, it will break it if they are. Mame is looking for those zip files and they have to retain their proper name as well.

21 minutes ago, rivalcycle said:

So I checked the size of the file. It comes out to about 13.7GB.

This is way too small if that is all the files in your merged set.

Looking at your screenshot you are definitely missing a lot of files, here is a screenshot of the 206 Merged set currently sitting on my seedbox. As you can see there is 12,335 files totaling 63.1 GB in size.screenshot_72.thumb.jpg.544f79ee29b02effdd222acbcda49fb6.jpg

Alright, well it would appear that my problem would be that whatever file I ended up downloading wasnt a complete set of Rom Files then. So I suppose i should go and scrap these for a complete 0.206 set. I got mine from Archive.org, but where did you end up downloading your set? I'm guessing a "dome of pleasure"?