LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulators, Unzipping and File Extensions

vaderag

At my best guess right now, I have a problem where I'm unzipping a file to load with RetroArch, launchbox is passing the wrong file to Retroarch, and therefore failing...

Is there a way to define the file from the zip that Launchbox sends? (ie. I have a gdi and a bin and I want to send gdi, not bin?)

Thanks

57 minutes ago, vaderag said:

At my best guess right now, I have a problem where I'm unzipping a file to load with RetroArch, launchbox is passing the wrong file to Retroarch, and therefore failing...

Is there a way to define the file from the zip that Launchbox sends? (ie. I have a gdi and a bin and I want to send gdi, not bin?)

Thanks

It is not possible to specify the file to load coming from a archive. Your best bet would be to extract them or convert them to another format that whatever core you are using supports.

They're in a format that the core supports - if i extract and point to the right place it works just fine.

It's just the launchbox (as far as I can tell - would love to see a log of actually what is happening!) is sending the wrong file to RA

1 minute ago, vaderag said:

They're in a format that the core supports - if i extract and point to the right place it works just fine.

It's just the launchbox (as far as I can tell - would love to see a log of actually what is happening!) is sending the wrong file to RA

Yeah as both you and i said Launchbox doesnt know which file to load when there is more than one file in a archive. Thats why i suggested unzipping them, then you would just import the .gdi files into Launchbox, so then the correct file will be passed to the emulator.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah as both you and i said Launchbox doesnt know which file to load when there is more than one file in a archive. Thats why i suggested unzipping them, then you would just import the .gdi files into Launchbox, so then the correct file will be passed to the emulator.

Easier said than done when you're talking ~30Gb -> ~200Gb!

GDIs (and cue+bin) can be converted to chd, a much better format. It's what all the cool kids are using right now.  CHDs are only one file, as compressed as a 7z (sometimes even better) and modern emulators can load them directly without having to wait for decompression at the beginning.

Check this thread for more info.

4 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

GDIs (and cue+bin) can be converted to chd, a much better format. It's what all the cool kids are using right now.  CHDs are only one file, as compressed as a 7z (sometimes even better) and modern emulators can load them directly without having to wait for decompression at the beginning.

Check this thread for more info.

Interesting, thanks for that, will definitely give it a test!

I'm working on Dreamcast and CD-32 at the moment so would be great if they work!