LaunchBox Community Forums

Bulk Genre Editor

Available on GitHub.

If you find this plugin useful, BUY ME A BEER!

Installation details

To install the one available plugin, download the DLL file from the latest release, and add it to the Plugins subfolder from your main LaunchBox installation folder.

Plugin description

Currently, LaunchBox allows you to edit genres for games, however if use the default Bulk Edit Wizard to edit genres for multiple selected games then they will all be overwritten with the same exact set of genres. for

This plugin allows you to add or remove genres to multiple games, while keeping each game's existing genres.

The new menu item is available for one or multiple selected games:

Bulk Add/Edit Genres menu item

The menu item opens the following dialog form, where you can select the genre(s) that you want to either add or remove from each game:

Bulk Add/Edit Genres dialog form

You can also type in new or existing genres into the search box, which allows multiple entries separated by semicolon (;) and provides real-time suggestions:

Bulk Add/Edit Genres search box

Example:

Let's say I have 3 games: Game 1, Game 2, and Game 3. To start, they have the following genres:

• Game 1 has genres: Action;
  • Game 2 has genres: Role-Playing;
  • Game 3 has genres: Action; Adventure;

After using this Bulk Genre Editor to add the genre "Beat 'em up", the result is this:

• Game 1 genres: Action; Beat 'em up;
  • Game 2 genres: Action; Beat 'em up; Role-Playing;
  • Game 3 genres: Action; Adventure; Beat 'em up;
Edited by SsjCosty
Improved description
  • Thanks 6

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, cleverest said:

Does this still work with LaunchBox? (Version 7.6)

6 minutes ago, SsjCosty said:

I developed it based on LaunchBox version 9.5, so I know it works for that and above. But I don't know if it would work for v7.6. You could try it, if that's the version you have installed, and let me know what you find.

Launchbox was completely re-written since 7.6 so i can pretty much say with certainty that it wont work, of course you are free to try it for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope that I don't sound pushy, or that it sounds like I don't appreciate the effort you put in for this plugin, I do. . .but I was wondering how easy it would be to adapt this plugin for other fields?  I need the bulk edit append feature in at least two other fields.

After using the steam scraper plugin, I have nearly 300 tags in custom fields.  Many of them could be consolidated and put into genre. For example, there are four different tags that are terms for turn-based combat.  Some tags also need to go in other fields, like multiplayer.

However, I'm having trouble remembering which tags I've transferred to genre through this plugin because I can't delete the tag.

I've never made a dll file.  If it is too difficult to alter, I will just have to use the plugin to transfer the appropriate tags to the genre field.  Then I'll just have to find time to clean up the custom fields individually for over 1000 games.  Although, you've given me hope that it is possible.

Despite needed the same ability elsewhere in Launch Box, I'm still very happy with this plugin.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
36 minutes ago, SsjCosty said:

Oh, that’s a good question. I am a few versions behind at this point as I haven’t used LaunchBox recently. I’ll have a look, I’m pretty sure it has some compatibility issue.

That would be great thanks. I really would love to use this plugin

• 2 months later...

I love this plugin. IF POSSIBLE, Please update it to work. I USE IT ALL THE TIME! I can't imagine not having it. 

One suggestion. It would be great if you could append with the text box. I have a huge list of tags and it sometimes takes awhile to find the tags I need

• 3 weeks later...

I have updated this plugin, and edited the description in the main post, with new screenshots.

What's new:

• Compatibility with LaunchBox 10.15
  • New feature: You can type new or existing genres into a new search box, which allows multiple entries separated by semicolon (;) and provides real-time suggestions

Direct download: Bulk Genre Editor v1.2.0.0

If you find this plugin useful, BUY ME A BEER!

• Like 2