LaunchBox Community Forums

Playstation Rom collection issues

sharp3d

Downloaded a full Playstation ROM collection. They're all zipped and I opened a few to see how they were structured to make sure their extensions were formatted how Beetle PSX required in documentation and this is what I got.

.bin.ecm files and .img.ecm are these going to work? It's going to take a long time to unzip all these roms and then add them to a playstation collection and I don't want to if they're not going to run or if I need to convert them or something like that.

I tried running wipeout in retroarch and it didnt work so any ideas?

image.thumb.png.f8ea289c7ab7423580733010ffa55d37.png

5 minutes ago, sharp3d said:

Downloaded a full Playstation ROM collection. They're all zipped and I opened a few to see how they were structured to make sure their extensions were formatted how Beetle PSX required in documentation and this is what I got.

.bin.ecm files and .img.ecm are these going to work? It's going to take a long time to unzip all these roms and then add them to a playstation collection and I don't want to if they're not going to run or if I need to convert them or something like that.

I tried running wipeout in retroarch and it didnt work so any ideas?

image.thumb.png.f8ea289c7ab7423580733010ffa55d37.png

Yeah that is not the filetype you ideally want. You need to unzip them all, then un-ecm them with software.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah that is not the filetype you ideally want. You need to unzip them all, then un-ecm them with software.

Can you recommend what software and perhaps a quick how-to? I'm a bit lost here. Looks like you can convert these images to CHD's as well? Whats the best way to do that?

Thanks! 

Just now, cpujunkie said:

I've used a program called pakkiso to uncompress those type of compressed roms. Then most Emulators can load the cue or other files

Hmm... well I have plenty of space on my external HDD that I'm running launcbox/big box on but it's my understanding that CHDs are compressed and still play nice in retroarch? I think I'd like to go that route.

Perhaps even simpler. In some of ETA Primes videos where he sets up different cores he won't link directly to where he gets ROMS but he will drop hints, like go to this site and search for this etc... Can anyone recommend a better place to grab a full PSX ROM set perhaps already in CHD format? I'm sure it's probably a no-no to link directly, but maybe drop hints like ETA Prime does? 

7 minutes ago, sharp3d said:

Can you recommend what software and perhaps a quick how-to? I'm a bit lost here. Looks like you can convert these images to CHD's as well? Whats the best way to do that?

Thanks! 

Google unecm, i cant link it here due to the site its linked from but it will be the second result with gba in the site name. I personally have my PS1 games as CHD they work just fine in the mednafen_hw core in retroarch.

1 minute ago, cpujunkie said:

Yup chds and the beetle core in retroarch work great together. I downloaded a whole chd torrent collection for psx from a dome place... 

Hmm yes I joined this dome place. When something is labeled a "redump" what exactly does that mean?

image.thumb.png.e919eec42dff347f7dcf00e534f7ffcb.png

http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Redump.org

Basically if you see a Redump set you know it's a good dump of the disks.

Oh yeah, make sure you keep a good share time and ratio after you download from PleasureDome, they will ban you if you don't.

We can name sites without linking to them, the Internet Archive is another good source for games nowadays.

On PleasureDome you can go to the MAME software list chd download and start it in Qbittorrent (really recommend it if only for the MAME stuff other clients struggle) uncheck all and then just check the psx folder (unless you see some other systems that interest you) and there you have a chd PS set

2 hours ago, DOS76 said:

On PleasureDome you can go to the MAME software list chd download and start it in Qbittorrent (really recommend it if only for the MAME stuff other clients struggle) uncheck all and then just check the psx folder (unless you see some other systems that interest you) and there you have a chd PS set

That is how I got my psx games. There just are not any European roms in the collection. Which there are some Japanese games released in Europe in English so I've hunted those down separately. 

• 1 year later...

I just visited dome and I could not find this Mame software list chd for psx

Please share more details where I can locate this, I am getting tired manually converting zips to chd, some of the zips show corrupt on extraction so I have to search another set etc etc. 

I have managed to almost complete USA titles, and I dread continuing my hunt for EU and (Japan in English) 

After that I need to look into my Sega Saturn , Dreamcast titles as well.. so really hoping I could just graph the readymade chds for these consoles directly.

you would download the MAME Softwarelist CHDs merged set but in your torrent client you would only check the psx folder if you only wanted the PSX games. If you client is not setup to show you a preview of the torrent you are about to download you would have to adjust that in the clients settings.