LaunchBox Community Forums

Intellivision with MAME. No go.

Agrajag

Okay, I thought I had this down as I just finished manually adding my ColecoVision collection to LB/BB using MAME (software list) which required doing a lot of manual entries. However, it all works great and looks great. So onto Intellivision.

I figured I'd do the same approach and import what titles could be imported and then manually add the bulk that remained. I pointed LB to my intv folder (software list roms) and it imported 32 titles. However, on clicking them I found that they were all just somehow running MAME arcade ROMS of those games and NOT the INTV romes even though they pointed to the INTV roms. 

So, no idea what happened there, but I deleted those and then started with a test case with Adventures in Tron. I went to MAME64 and ran "mame64 intv advtron" and it popped right up. 

I then went into LB, made sure I had the platform there for it and the emulator set to MAME with the associated platform section noting the parameter invt. I then clicked Add, added the title. Searched. LB finds its entry and fills in the info it has. I point it to the ROM file advtron.zip. I go to Emulation and pick MAME. I add images. All looks great. It imports. It's there. I then click it and nothing happens. No errors. Nothing.

Ideas?

For Intellivision games to work via Mame, in LB you need to pass it the command line of intv -cart.  You mention having intv in the command line, do you also have the -cart?  I'm actually using RetroArch with the freeintv core to play my intellivision games, but I haven't tested many of them since I don't play it often... but I do know it works for the ones I did test :)

Edited by CDBlue

I was under the impression that -cart was only needed for legacy ROMs and NOT software list versions... Wrong? RA, as I've been told, uses the legacy roms.

Also, notice what I laid out: In MAME via the command line, I don't need -cart:

mame64 intv advtron 

That runs on MAME just fine. I added -cart to the emulator/Associated Platforms section and that didn't fix things at all.

Edited by Agrajag

29 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

RA, as I've been told, uses the legacy roms.

Stand alone Mame will use normal rom files as well, I use it with the No-Intro set frequently because I can't be bothered to download the Softwarelists set.

Can you post some screenshots of your Mame emulator entry in LB ?

screenshot_85.thumb.jpg.6380fbade52c927618e7eac46e0d68fb.jpgscreenshot_86.thumb.jpg.00504742c8aa04f22afabb198398947b.jpg

I don't have the non-software list versions, but as noted, the software list versions work from the command line.

Note again that the Coleco setup works great just as you see it. No need for -cart because their software list roms and the intv setup works from the command line with vanilla MAME64 perfectly.

MAME Associated.jpg

MAME Emulator.jpg

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

I see your problem, in your associated platforms you have Intellivision but your platform is called Mattel Intellivision, change the associated platforms one to Mattel Intellivision and it should work.

That, of course, was it. I didn't realize the necessity of the relationship between these. Makes total sense now that I think of it. I'll keep that in mind as I move forward. Now onto the real fun of figuring out what MAME did with laying out the INTV controllers! It's a real mess.

• Like 1

you can also use the intellivision voice for the games that use it but I don't remember exactly what it is. Basically you use cart1 to load the voice device and then cart 2 to load the game. If you are interested maybe @spycat (who I learned that this is possible from) can chime in with the exact command

23 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

you can also use the intellivision voice for the games that use it but I don't remember exactly what it is. Basically you use cart1 to load the voice device and then cart 2 to load the game. If you are interested maybe @spycat (who I learned that this is possible from) can chime in with the exact command

I was wondering how that works especially given the software list complication.