LaunchBox Community Forums

Big issue that started in 9.X. Games often don't launch property after startup.

Arcade1993

This is still happening. If I press Enter/OK again too quickly after selecting the game, LaunchBox will attempt to open another instance of MAME.EXE for some reason. Does this happen to anyone else? It's really ruining my MAME cabinet for me :(

Edited by Arcade1993

I was able to mess around with my cabinet for a few hours today. 

I am able to confidently say the issue lies with Big Box. The issue is not there if I launch MAME with a command prompt. And the issue is not there if I launch with Launch Box. However, if I launch any game with Big Box, I have the issue. 

I tried a bunch of different themes within Big Box to make sure it wasn't my theme causing the issue, but they all exhibited the same thing. If I press the enter/OK button right after selecting the game, before the MAME dialog screen shows up, Big Box tries to load another instance of MAME which will cause the computer to screw up. Why Big Box does this and Launch Box doesn't, I have no idea. It must be the way Big Box is programmed. I know it's a short window, but I have small kids. Plus my instinct is I don't want to wait, so I press OK/enter twice quickly to skip the intro screen, so this happens to me all the time. 

I would really appreciate a fix for this because it's making the entire Launchbox program pretty unusable for me. 

Thanks in advance.

So this is the craziest thing ever. Despite having had this issue for months and trying everything under the sun (including a complete reinstall of Windows!!) to fix it, I finally figured it out. 

I had the "show now loading" screen unchecked. So when selecting a game, it didn't say "now loading game". This for whatever reason would allow Big  Box to load infinite instances of MAME; as many times as you pressed OK/Enter before the game actually loaded. 

With the "now loading game" box up, Big Box does not allow this, and thus the glitch is gone. I guess I am one of the few people that turned that off, which is why no one was able to help me. 

What a hellish few months trying to figure this out. I bought new hard drives, installed obscure versions of Windows 10, and wasted countless hours over this issue and it was all over one little checkbox in Big Box about a loading screen. 

Oh well...I figured I would post the fix in case anyone in the future ever Googles this issue!