LaunchBox Community Forums

GOG GALAXY 2.0

PattersonCZ

Hello,

dont know if is allowed to discuss another programs but with GOG GALAXY 2.0 i think Launchbox get another big competiton. Dont want draw take any conclusions as its client is still in development but what they promise sounds more then Launchbox can offer. Yes it dont looks like they offer emulation but maybe it will be added easy with addons.  And it looks very modern and user friendly. Dont get me wrong i like Launchbox but it still lacks in some ways.

GOG GALAXY 2.0

• Like 1

Interesting. However, it doesn't seem to offer much in terms of emulation, and even if they do, I think they're pretty late to the game and nothing too ground-breaking besides a SNS-like service bundled in with the program to interact with other gamers, etc. Besides, a little competition is never a bad thing ?

I'm going to participate in the closed beta when that starts up and see how it is. I'm curious to know how easy it'll be to add emulators and such, but although I'm sure it will have some nice features, I don't expect that it will replace Launchbox for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the beta and I think the main point it has over LB is that it is easy to integrate with a much larger number of game providing platforms than LB, due largely to having published an API for precisely that purpose, allowing users to create "Integrations" for platforms they like. Particularly useful for me is the Humble Bundle integration, which achieved in about fifteen seconds what took me a few hours on LB, and which can update the information similarly quickly, as opposed to me having to remember to update LB each time I acquire something there. It is definitely competition in the "game collection management" space, and the platform list they have posted on GitHub does include a number of popular emulated systems, so I don't think it is wise to assume it will remain without emulator support forever.

https://github.com/gogcom/galaxy-integrations-python-api/blob/master/PLATFORM_IDs.md

That said, LB already has mature emulator support, and if one of two things is done (or some mix of the two), it should be relatively easy to pick up on the portion of what GOG does that LB users are likely to want, which is the library integration with the various services. Either a similar API could be developed, and LB users could build integrations of our own, or the GOG integrations could be researched to get key information that could then be used to add those features to LB directly. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to flat out copy GOG's API if the structure is at all compatible with LB, as then all the GOG integrations would inherently become additions for LB as well.

Alternatively, an Integration could be written to use LB as the launcher for all the systems it covers, thus pulling users from the GOG userbase?

Addition: Also, there is one other feature that both Galaxy and the Steam launcher have that I would love to see in LaunchBox- the ability to filter by whether or not the games are currently installed. Given the nature of Launchbox, I understand that for emulated games there isn't always a way to tell if the ROMs are present at the moment, but even if it was Yes/No/Schroedinger, it would be nice to have. I always thought the reason it wasn't there was because the information wasn't visible to other programs, but there must be some way for other programs to tell if a Steam game is installed, because Galaxy filters it correctly. I would love it if LB could absorb that ability somehow.

Edited by Firefairy
Adding detail
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

To revive a dead thread, GOG 2.0 Client has caught my eye just recently. The real kicker Is its not just gonna let you combine your game libraries for PC in one place via API's. But it will combine all the different messengers like Trillian did to all the messenger clients back in the day like ICQ MSN YAHOO AOL ETC, One ring to rule them all. 

I didn't pay full price for big box for its game library / organization or its achievements etc. I bought it because it has the best front end for an all encompassing arcade pedestal. IE no keyboard navigation technically, thus you guys have nothing to worry about imho.

However I want to see all my emulation titles show up in GOG I would love for my GOG to just piggy back off my launchbox / big box and even have the option to just click "Launch Arcade" from GOG and drop into the big box front end.

Anyhow its a lame duck they haven't finished the messenger bit still its a coming soon and they won't comment. I would assume they have to realize how important it is to pull that piece off or they have nothing really.

If they pull off the messenger bit part though... If I was your team.... I would talk about partnering with them and let your group handle the emulation piece as you already have it all done, a little value line up and your off to the races. Perhaps even get a "Launch Arcade" Feature included too. 

Anyhow Cheers

• 2 months later...

I've completely moved to Galaxy, the integration with other stores is really good.  I uninstalled LB a while back, since I don't do emulation as much any more.  I may install it just for emulators, because I really do like the interface.  I just added the emulators to Galaxy, and pick the games from within the emulator.  Not pretty, but works.

I think I'll get on re-installing LB now, I feel kinda sad after typing all that.

Edited by zizbuka