LaunchBox Community Forums

Philips CD-i in Retroarch (mame core)

SiriusVI

Hey everyone,

I'm urrently trying to launch Cd-i games in retroarch using the mame core. I've seen many examples of people onkine getting it to work and explaining how, but somehow I can't get it to work.

Ths is my Setup:

1. I have .chd files in my games/Philips CDi - folder
2. Inside the same folder I have copied the cdimono1.zip
3. I've configured the mame core  using this tutorial: https://forums.libretro.com/t/run-philips-cd-i-games-in-retroarch-mame-libretro-via-rocketlauncher/8672

When I try to launch a game in Launchbox, retroarch just crashes. 

When I add the commandline "cdimono1" in the emulation options for retroarch, the bios boots, I get a light blue screen and after some seconds I am inside the philips cdi bios. When I click "play", the light blue screen comes back and I'm stuck. 

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

19 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

Hey everyone,

I'm urrently trying to launch Cd-i games in retroarch using the mame core. I've seen many examples of people onkine getting it to work and explaining how, but somehow I can't get it to work.

Ths is my Setup:

1. I have .chd files in my games/Philips CDi - folder
2. Inside the same folder I have copied the cdimono1.zip
3. I've configured the mame core  using this tutorial: https://forums.libretro.com/t/run-philips-cd-i-games-in-retroarch-mame-libretro-via-rocketlauncher/8672

When I try to launch a game in Launchbox, retroarch just crashes. 

When I add the commandline "cdimono1" in the emulation options for retroarch, the bios boots, I get a light blue screen and after some seconds I am inside the philips cdi bios. When I click "play", the light blue screen comes back and I'm stuck. 

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Try "cdimono1 -cdrm" in the default command-line parameters for mame. And I'd use the standalone version of mame, rather than the retroarch core of mame. It's a whole lot easier

Edited by bundangdon

Nothing changes if I try the command: "cdimono1 -cdrm". I had already tried that earlier.

I haven't tried mame standalone, however, I would really very much like to use RetroArch, since many people seem to be able to launch CD-i games using RetroArch.

EDIT: If I use the "cdimono2", I get a black screen and I hear music playing.

EDIT 2: I found this tutorial, which I will try out later: https://forums.libretro.com/t/guide-play-non-arcade-systems-with-mame-or-mess/17728

Edited by SiriusVI

I would first make sure all works with MAME standalone. Easiest way to troubleshoot is outside of LB since they you can see any errors thrown by MAME.  Open DOS command window in the MAME directory and run command similar to this (substitute your game path).  The "cdimono1" command is correct, so if you tried it and not working then something likely with MAME set.  CDIMONO2 is non-working emulation. 

mame64.exe cdimono1 -cdrom "G:\Emulators\Philips CD-i\roms\Alien Gate (CD-i).chd"

Also see this thread:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Theres a much easier way to accomplish this.

Simply put your roms and the bios in a folder named cdimono1 wherever you want.   Load the mame core in RA with some type of content that will allow you to access the options menu (or edit the core-options.cfg) and disable every last one of the options in there.  Change media type from rom to cdrm.

Import to LB like you would any other RA'able media.  No special args or anything, simply point to the mame core and fire. 

the dummy file route of course works, but requires a bigger mess and has constraints.  fortunately somebody has provided said dummy files so at least thats out of the way for people who prefer that method.  But using it, your forced to use the softlist naming for your roms and if your like me and have them all named to redump standard or sourced them in such a fashion they arent named to match.  Your going to be stuck doing a lot of renaming.

the former way is as close to cookie-cutter as your gonna get with this awful platform.

of course your life is further complicated (workarounds do exist of course) if you use mame for other platforms.  Fortunately for me, i use fb for my arcade-ing :P

Edited by klepp0906
  • Like 2