LaunchBox Community Forums

Startup Video on BigBox glitch?

7ank0v1c

Heya,

So I have just got my BigBox all set up, but one thing is bugging me a little and I am wondering if it can be fixed?

So my startup video loads and plays fine usually with no issues, but imediatley afterwards, it kinda stutters as it plays the deafault BigBox loading sound and the startbar shows for a breif moment befroe it disappears again. It all works fine afterwards, but it isnt quite the smooth experience I am hoping for.

Is this fixable? Any tips at all anyone?

Thanks in advance =D

It could be the startup sound option that is glitching it the video transition.  I am not at home to double check the setting but look for an option in the settings for the default startup sound and turn it off. 

There is a thread about it somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

It could be the startup sound option that is glitching it the video transition.  I am not at home to double check the setting but look for an option in the settings for the default startup sound and turn it off. 

There is a thread about it somewhere. 

So I tried disabling it, but it still stutters. I also tried it on a different system and the same thing happens. I am using a portable set up of Big Box

16 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Anyone?

Have you tried different themes? I wonder if it could be a transition in the theme. I can replicate the issue on only one of my machines, but it only happens if I have that default loading sound on.

Can you post a video?

10 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Have you tried different themes? I wonder if it could be a transition in the theme. I can replicate the issue on only one of my machines, but it only happens if I have that default loading sound on.

Can you post a video?

Here is what it often does, for this though it took a little longer than usual in between the startup video and then loading the application. Again though once loaded, I literally have no problems with it at all. Just this, which I find a little annoying haha =D

Edit: Also I have tried doing what you reccomended and still the same happens. i also tried a number of other things like turning off the startup video, with and without startup sound, changing the video with and without sound, changing theme with all these variations and it seems to do the same thing right at the beginning. 

Without the video though, it doesnt flashup the startbar, but it still stutters, and without the sound it isnt really as noticable, but it is still doing it?

Edited by 7ank0v1c

Yeah that issue I can replicate if I have the startup sound on in my settings. Turning it off I get no stutter. Which I why I have not used it in years. Not sure why turning it off had no affect on your system. I also have all transitions set to none in my settings as personally I do not care for how the video/image shows up on screen. It could be a transition from the theme?? Maybe try turning them off and see if it changes. It definitely appears to occur only at a point the video ends and BigBox starts to load up the initial view.

47 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yeah that issue I can replicate if I have the startup sound on in my settings. Turning it off I get no stutter. Which I why I have not used it in years. Not sure why turning it off had no affect on your system. I also have all transitions set to none in my settings as personally I do not care for how the video/image shows up on screen. It could be a transition from the theme?? Maybe try turning them off and see if it changes. It definitely appears to occur only at a point the video ends and BigBox starts to load up the initial view.

Just tried all that now and still no joy. I do wonder what it is? I thought maybe it was my portable HDD latency, but even copied my entire launchbox system onto my C drive and still the same thing. It even did this on my friends PC which is pretty capable. Are you on the latest launchbox out of interest? 9.9? maybe its a bug??

1 minute ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Just tried all that now and still no joy. I do wonder what it is? I thought maybe it was my portable HDD latency, but even copied my entire launchbox system onto my C drive and still the same thing. It even did this on my friends PC which is pretty capable. Are you on the latest launchbox out of interest? 9.9? maybe its a bug??

I am on latest version and a machine on latest beta. It is something that has been reported in prior versions. For many users shutting of the startup sound got rid of it. It has not really been posted about for a while now.

I will tag @Jason Carr

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Also bear in mind that when the video is playing Bigbox is loading in the background so there is a lot of disk activity going on at that point, but yeah personally i have that "initializing Bigbox" turned off in the Bigbox settings so i never hear it.

I kinda like it to be honest, would be cool if there was a fix...

2 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

I kinda like it to be honest, would be cool if there was a fix...

Well it is a audio file so will be using VLC for playback, as will the startup video, so you have two instances of VLC running while also loading Bigbox, so that is a few things running at the same time from the same disk.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Well it is a audio file so will be using VLC for playback, as will the startup video, so you have two instances of VLC running while also loading Bigbox, so that is a few things running at the same time from the same disk.

You know I did consider this, I also tried using the inbuilt windows media player, but it did the same thing. I did also try turning one off and then the other way around and it still does it visually and with the sound (where applicable of course)

Edited by 7ank0v1c
Spelling

Honestly that's an issue that I've tried to fix many times over. The problem is that we want to use up the CPU as much as possible to make Big Box load as quickly as possible, and thus the sound file can hitch. The only solutions I've found so far involve artificially slowing down the loading. I'll see if I can revisit again soon though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Honestly that's an issue that I've tried to fix many times over. The problem is that we want to use up the CPU as much as possible to make Big Box load as quickly as possible, and thus the sound file can hitch. The only solutions I've found so far involve artificially slowing down the loading. I'll see if I can revisit again soon though.

Would using a much less CPU heavy software, seperatley for the sound file work do you think? Instead of having multiple VLC in use?

Edit: Maybe a mixture of that and what you just suggested?

Edited by 7ank0v1c
Added info

3 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

Would using a much less CPU heavy software, seperatley for the sound file work do you think? Instead of having multiple VLC in use?

Edit: Maybe a mixture of that and what you just suggested?

We actually don't use VLC to play that startup sound. We use DirectSound (part of DirectX). Which, in theory, should be able to do it just fine.

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We actually don't use VLC to play that startup sound. We use DirectSound (part of DirectX). Which, in theory, should be able to do it just fine.

To be honest, I can still tell there is stuttering visually, even with everything else turned off (transitions, startup sound and startup video). So maybe its just the CPU is hit with too much all at once? Although I aint a programmer, so I dont know too much haha ?

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Thats my mistake then as i said previously it was using VLC, apologies @7ank0v1c

No worries ?

3 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

To be honest, I can still tell there is stuttering visually, even with everything else turned off (transitions, startup sound and startup video). So maybe its just the CPU is hit with too much all at once? Although I aint a programmer, so I dont know too much haha ?

No worries ?

Yeah, visual hitching while loading the app is going to be even harder to get rid of, so that's probably mostly a pipe dream, unfortunately. There are very few apps out there with animated startups like Big Box that don't hitch at least briefly on startup. It's just that most development frameworks are not really designed to support that kind of thing.