LaunchBox Community Forums

Missing box art

DaveC1964

I did the import data thing and it finds some images but many are missing.  If I edit the game with the missing art then do "search for metadata" it finds art for the game.  Is this normal?  Is there a way to do all at once (I tried it in tools menu but it didn't work).

neo missing.jpg

neo missing2.jpg

TL;DR - It's not a failing of the front-end it's the file names themselves.

I ran into a lot of this when I set up as well. I found that it was the naming convention used in my romsets. My romsets are 10-20 years old in some cases - Atari 2600 come to mind - so the naming conventions have standardized since then (IE: No-Intro sets). Depending on your source you may have to rename the image in the title field or just use a key word from the title, select the LaunchDB title from the dropdown list, click "Search for Metadata" then click "Download Images". You can use tools like clrmamepro and gamebase to rename the actual rom files before you import them but I have never used these tools personally.

Edited by ClassicGMR
clarification

Ok that is odd though because I have new ROMsets for FBA Neo Geo as an example.  This was supposed to be the latest but I guess the names are wrong?  For example Samurai Shodown is "Samsho.zip"  I thought it was like that since forever.  What should this be as it didn't find art for it and I had to do manually?

If you have newer rom sets, especially those for Mame then naming is rarely an issue. That is the correct rom name for Samurai Shodown. Do not rename the rom. Looking at your pic those game names look correct as well. You can bulk edit them by CTRL+ Click all the games with missing images and then choose >Tools >Download Media and metadata to get missing media.

I see in your image that the platform is named "SNK Neo Geo AES" did you scrape it as that name? You should really scrape them as "Arcade" in order to correctly get all associated images. As you can see in your image where the game is found in the dropdown and has (Arcade) after the game name.

I experience this also, different platforms. I scrape, and the games are found in Launchbox database (i am sure because it shows the game ID in top right corner of "edit" page), but the videos are not all downloaded. Then i go to "Edit" and re-download without touching the game name, and i find videos available.

I kinda feel that it is due to retry count, like it tries 3 times and then moves on to next title. This puzzles me as i have a very fast and stable internet connection. But of course if Emumovies does not answer then my speedy connection isn't worth pants :P

Another weird thing i experience: The games are shown in Launchbox with different graphics (3d boxes being my default). Some show up with f.ex "cart front" or the likes. I go to "Edit" and confirm that there really is an image for "3D Box", then i click OK and suddenly the default picture turns to 3D Box. I don't really think this issue is about my connection :)

I have a few other examples of unexpected behaviour, like sorting alphabetically and such, but i am fairly new and i am still unsure if this is cause by me not following best practice when scraping or if it really involves bugs, and in the case of the latter, where to report and that sort of thing.

I have a strong feeling that thesse minor booboos will all get sorted in time :) And despite these occasional hiccups i am 110% in love with both Launchbox and Bigbox. I come from the Retropie scene, and i haven't looked back a single time ever since i bought my LB license.

Enough babbling and derail, sry :) Early morning here. Gonna grab some coffee and OCD some more about my collection.