LaunchBox Community Forums

Having Trouble with Pause Screen...

Beatlemaniac19

39 minutes ago, JaysArcade said:

My experience with the pause screens and RetroArch is they work 100% of the time in Launchbox. In Bigbox however, I can pause 7, 8, or 9 times (Maybe more or less than that, but definitely more than just once) and then Pause will no longer work. Opening and closing a retroarch game has no effect and trying a platform that uses a different core but same retroarch exe has no effect. The only way I've gotten Pause to work again is to close and re-open BigBox where Pause will only work a few times again. Alt Tabbing has no effect.

If there is a game I am spamming save and load states through Pause, I can only do it within Launchbox. But now, I'm kind of over it and just use a key combo through RetroArch to save or load states and skip Pause altogether. Probably should have been doing that to begin with, but yeah. Something not entirely right with Pause in BigBox for me. But I have no issues with this in Launchbox.

This is very similar to the behavior I experience with retroarch and bigbox. And ya it is a bummer cause I’d like to use the LB pause screen but I may have to disable and use retroarch hotkeys. 

im using a Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK. 8Gb ram and 120GB ssd. Running LaunchBox on external 2tb mechanical hard drive. 

what rig are you running on?

I5 4460, 8 Gb ram. Mechanical internal drive for windows. External USB drive for Launchbox and emulators. GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

The nice thing for me about using pause instead of retroarch hotkeys for the save and load states, its just easier to hit the pause button on my arcade control panel and use the menu. For the xbone controllers the hotkey key combo method is fine but guests find using the pause key easy once I show it to them. Easier than remembering some key combo.

2 minutes ago, JaysArcade said:

I think so but I haven't bothered trying to set it up.

Yea. I haven’t had a chance to tweak that yet. I’ve been too stuck on getting my setup to transition from game to bigbox and back to game with proper controller mappings etc while not losing focus and control so user needs to grab a keyboard or mouse. It’s been a challenge to say the least. I finally caved and set a hot key for alt+tab using xpadder as a fallback in case focus from bigbox gets lost. 

• 4 months later...

This looks a little old but I can't get the pause screen to show on top using project64.  I am using the GLideN64 plug in and I think that may be cause issues but this plugin has the best graphics.  I also am using the most up to date version of project64. Any thoughts?

Edited by redlinefx18

So I switched the plugin back to the standard graphics plugin for Pj64 and still the same issue.  It must be an issue/setting within Pj64.  I was using the official release 1.6 and had no issues with the pause button.  Anyone using Pj64 and knows how to fix this?  There is an option in LaunchBox that will force the pause screen to show but causes issues with Pj64.

• 4 months later...

I’m having the same problem with the pause screen it was working just fine until I reinstalled and updated to the latest version of Launchbox to my new SSD then noticed it was working in the background where I can still navigate and use the menu but not actually see it only the pause icon on the top right corner of the screen in BigBox like in the previous post.

On 11/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, vtj said:

I’m having the same problem with the pause screen it was working just fine until I reinstalled and updated to the latest version of Launchbox to my new SSD then noticed it was working in the background where I can still navigate and use the menu but not actually see it only the pause icon on the top right corner of the screen in BigBox like in the previous post.

Is this specifically with Project64? Project64 is known to have some issues with the pause screens on some systems, at least with certain settings. You might try experimenting with the settings, using a different video plugin for Project64, or just using a different emulator.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, NNEMO said:

Thanks guys, i was pulling hair trying to get pause menu to work. I did the above, emulator settings/pause menu/ and checked all 3 boxes and reset the default, and now its working :D

Where can I get the game controls to show up now? 

Game controls images are available from EmuMovies for arcade, but I'm not sure they're available for N64.