LaunchBox Community Forums

Bug: Pause Screen not working in RA when in full-screen mode

Beatlemaniac19

@Jason Carr Hey Jason. It's been a while since I said hello. Loving the new additions to LB/BB. You are truly a wizard :)

Just wanted to report a bug I'm encountering on using the pause screen within RA. For some reason the pause screen isn't working when I go into full-screen mode within RA, but it works perfectly fine outside of full-screen mode.

I've re-downloaded the latest version of RA just to make sure that it wasn't a problem with my config files, but the pause screen works completely when the game isn't in full-screen mode for both LB and BB, but full-screen mode somehow overrides the pause screen config, even though all of my settings are correct and I've enabled the check box 'Forceful Pause Screen Activation' within my RA emulator configuration within LB. I've tried everything and have watched ETA Prime's tutorial on the new pause screen feature in his tutorial on your YT channel and followed his instructions exactly.

Just for your knowledge, I'm using a Windows 7 64-bit PC, in case that makes any difference.

I made a thread about this earlier in case you want more details https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/50731-having-trouble-with-pause-screen/

Edited by Beatlemaniac19

This could be related to Windows 7, but also sometimes certain drivers can cause issues, as well as some background applications. The first thing to try though is going into your Retroarch emulator settings in LaunchBox and make sure "Forceful Pause Screen Activation" is checked.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

This could be related to Windows 7, but also sometimes certain drivers can cause issues, as well as some background applications. The first thing to try though is going into your Retroarch emulator settings in LaunchBox and make sure "Forceful Pause Screen Activation" is checked.

Yeah I have that setting checked. I have a Windows 10 PC that I can try to transfer my LB setup over to and I'll test it there, but I just wanted to give you a heads up in case you think it's something worthy of investigating on Windows 7 PCs in particular.

5 minutes ago, Beatlemaniac19 said:

Yeah I have that setting checked. I have a Windows 10 PC that I can try to transfer my LB setup over to and I'll test it there, but I just wanted to give you a heads up in case you think it's something worthy of investigating on Windows 7 PCs in particular.

Unfortunately pause screens just require hacks, and that's about all there is to it. That's why I refused to tackle them for so many years. So what tends to happen is that driver developers have glitches in the drivers that only come out in these odd scenarios. So it can be very hardware-specific. I would also check for driver updates.

I've pretty much done all I can do with them, and sadly we're never gonna get 100% perfect coverage. It works on the vast majority of machines, but there's always going to be a few here and there that have trouble with the startup and/or pause screens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately pause screens just require hacks, and that's about all there is to it. That's why I refused to tackle them for so many years. So what tends to happen is that driver developers have glitches in the drivers that only come out in these odd scenarios. So it can be very hardware-specific. I would also check for driver updates.

I've pretty much done all I can do with them, and sadly we're never gonna get 100% perfect coverage. It works on the vast majority of machines, but there's always going to be a few here and there that have trouble with the startup and/or pause screens.

Jason. I can confirm that the pause screen works in fullscreen mode on my Windows 10 PC. It's simply an issue with the Windows 7 operating system it seems. Problem solved. Thanks for your help. Just note that the pause screen has problems on Windows 7 PCs in RetroArch.

Just now, Beatlemaniac19 said:

Jason. I can confirm that the pause screen works in fullscreen mode on my Windows 10 PC. It's simply an issue with the Windows 7 operating system it seems. Problem solved. Thanks for your help. Just note that the pause screen has problems on Windows 7 PCs in RetroArch.

Unfortunately that's not conclusive; it could be either your particular hardware or drivers on that Windows 7 PC as well. But I'm glad you're up and running. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beatlemaniac19 said:

Time to update your main Launchbox rig to 2019 and test i guess. :) 

Interesting as my win 7 64bit machine works great with pause screens on RA at full screen. I'm with Jason as its probably your machine specific.

Though I do want to upgrade to win 10 but not sure if worth it since I am so accustomed to win 7.

FYI (in case you were not aware) Windows 7 end-of-life is scheduled for Jan 2020... might be time to think about upgrading as once that date comes along MS is no longer going to be patching any security issues for most, if not all, Windows 7 variations.  No patches means that known and/or new exploits, after that date, will make it much easier to hack/infect Windows 7 machines. It will continue to work after that date, but why risk giving much easier access to hackers :)  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020 

Classic Shell is a decent program.  But, Windows 10 start menu is very functional now days, and if you don't want the tiles you can just right-click on them and select unpin and it'll remove them... or in 1903 version of Windows 10 if you right click on the name of the group of tiles you can select unpin and it'll remove the entire section of tiles at once.  But, as you said if you do prefer the old Windows 7 style menu with All Programs, etc. then Classic Shell is a nice solution.