LaunchBox Community Forums

Easy way to look for missing roms in a given system

SiriusVI

Hey there,

I haven't found an answer to this question anywhere, so I guess what I want is simply not possible, but just to be sure, I'd like to ask anyway:

Is there an easy way / a program to search any of my rom folders for missing roms for a specific system?

What I would like to found out, for example, is if e.g. my SNES collection is missing any officially released roms. I've tried using clrmamepro with the no-intro DAT file (no Intro is the set I use),  but it tells me that I have "0" known games, which is obviously not true. 

What I'm aiming at is a collection consisting of US releases --> European exclusives --> Japanese exclusives --> (random other regional exclusives). I also only want the latest revisions of any given rom. Since I did all the sorting manually, I'm sure I made some mistakes alog the way. That's why I'd like to check.

So if anyone knows of an easy to use way to do what I want, please telle me =).

Edited by SiriusVI

Using an XML file you can use Dan's hyperspin tools to search a rom directory and it will match all the roms to the names in the xml file, then you can manually match whatever it couldn't scrape on it's own within the program. Then the program will export all the newly named roms to a new folder for you.  Only downside is i think (not 100% sure) you need hyperspin installed to use Dan's hyperspin tools kuz they need to be in the hyperspin folder to open for some reason. Also it only uses xml files so if you cant find the full game list in xml format you wont be able to use this program 

https://hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11377-dons-hyperspin-tools-4326/

Edited by darreldearth
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, darreldearth said:

Using an XML file you can use Dan's hyperspin tools to search a rom directory and it will match all the roms to the names in the xml file, then you can manually match whatever it couldn't scrape on it's own within the program. Then the program will export all the newly named roms to a new folder for you.  Only downside is i think (not 100% sure) you need hyperspin installed to use Dan's hyperspin tools kuz they need to be in the hyperspin folder to open for some reason. Also it only uses xml files so if you cant find the full game list in xml format you wont be able to use this program 

https://hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/11377-dons-hyperspin-tools-4326/

I also use Don's Rom Renamer in conjuction with HyperList XML files, you do not need HyperSpin or anything else to use the program or selected XML.

Thank you for this tipp, however, I really don't want to rename all of my roms, since I've already importet them into Launchbox and I have save files within retroarch which match the exact rom names. I think it would be great if a tool scanned for something like file size to identify roms, but I guess something like this doesn't exist.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, zetec-s-joe said:

I also use Don's Rom Renamer in conjuction with HyperList XML files, you do not need HyperSpin or anything else to use the program or selected XML.

This is the answer. However, be aware that Hyperspin lists are not "complete". They give you the complete US rom set plus European exclusives plus Japanese exclusives that have been translated or can be played without needing to know Japanese. It will only contain the same game twice if for example, there are significant differences between the US version and the European/Japanese version. This way you get a complete collection of the games that are playable with no duplicates. There are a few exceptions like the NEC PC-FX where the whole collection is Japanese or systems that did not not make it to the West. Hyperspin lists will also contain homebrews and unreleased games. I personally don't like that but they are easy to remove.

I understand you not wanting to rename the files at this point. Emumovies and Hyperspin art are all named after the Hyperspin lists. It's helpful but not worth the trouble at this point.

If you want a complete collection with every game ever made in every language and every version, Hyperspin lists will not give you that. 

Unfortunately, Hyperspin lists are the best thing we have at the moment and given the amount of work people put into them over the years, i would say they are quite reliable. It would be nice if launchbox would implement a database that could be checked against.

Edited by Styphelus
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Styphelus said:

This is the answer. However, be aware that Hyperspin lists are not "complete". They give you the complete US rom set plus European exclusives plus Japanese exclusives that have been translated or can be played without needing to know Japanese. It will only contain the same game twice if for example, there are significant differences between the US version and the European/Japanese version. This way you get a complete collection of the games that are playable with no duplicates. There are a few exceptions like the NEC PC-FX where the whole collection is Japanese or systems that did not not make it to the West. Hyperspin lists will also contain homebrews and unreleased games. I personally don't like that but they are easy to remove.

I understand you not wanting to rename the files at this point. Emumovies and Hyperspin art are all named after the Hyperspin lists. It's helpful but not worth the trouble at this point.

If you want a complete collection with every game ever made in every language and every version, Hyperspin lists will not give you that. 

Unfortunately, Hyperspin lists are the best thing we have at the moment and given the amount of work people put into them over the years, i would say they are quite reliable. It would be nice if launchbox would implement a database that could be checked against.

not to go too off topic but... my ideal situation would be to have a built in checker similar to rocketlauncher where it lists what you have against a complete list. if only there was a reputable site that kept list for complete retail sets per system, but I dont think that will ever be a thing

Also I'm not demanding anything, the current way is fine for now :)