LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Model 2 Emulator not working

DarthWHAT

I was hoping that someone here has had success with getting games like house of the dead and Daytona working on the sega model 2 emu. I changed the roms dir in the ini file and still not working. I keep seeing something about a model2.zip file, that needs to be placed in the roms folder but I can not for the life of me find anything on it or where to even get it. Help

37 minutes ago, DarthWHAT said:

I was hoping that someone here has had success with getting games like house of the dead and Daytona working on the sega model 2 emu. I changed the roms dir in the ini file and still not working. I keep seeing something about a model2.zip file, that needs to be placed in the roms folder but I can not for the life of me find anything on it or where to even get it. Help

Do the games run directly in the Model 2 emulator without using Launchbox?

1 hour ago, DarthWHAT said:

No they don’t.

Something is not set right then in Model 2. You really only need to set the path. My roms folder does not have a model2.zip and it works fine. That zip file is not really a bios file. It just contains a bunch of common files used by several games. So if those games already have those files in their zip it makes the model2.zip unnecessary. I am not sure where you got your roms from so your files may need to model2.zip.

Can you share a pic of inside your .ini file showing the rom path?

Hey thanks for the reply! my roms i think are good (from the merged 0.212 set) And they load using the MAME emu but don't fully work right. I will have to look inside the rom zip and see if that model2.zip is in there. If not do you know where I can find it?  Here is a screen shot of my rom dir.

Annotation 2019-08-12 085506.jpg

Are you sure you are running the latest version of the emulator? (1.1a)

The only time I have seen issues with a missing model2.zip message is when running through RocketLauncher. The module is out of date and does a check for that file.

Running directly with m2emulator 1.1a doesn't require model2.zip

16 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Are you sure you are running the latest version of the emulator? (1.1a)

The only time I have seen issues with a missing model2.zip message is when running through RocketLauncher. The module is out of date and does a check for that file.

Running directly with m2emulator 1.1a doesn't require model2.zip

I am running the latest version 1.1a,  I'm sorry if I worded my issues incorrectly but I'm not getting model2.zip errors when loading a rom, My issues, for example with the house of the dead, I go to load the rom and it crashes m2emulator instantly. And I've been scouring the internet to see if anyone else has had this issue and some posts mention needing this model2.zip inside the rom folder. So that lead me to searching more on the model2.zip that could possibly be my issue but I'm not turning up much. But now from what it sounds like this model2.zip wont fix my problem since I don't technically need it.

okay I do not have a hotd.dat in navdat. Maybe cuase I haven't opened it successfully in SM2 yet for it to write one? Also changed the forced managed to 1 in the ini and still same thing. Also I looked in the HOTD.zip and there only a bunch of numbered files types, is that all that supposed to be in this rom? Is there another emulator (launchbox friendly) that will do both Sega model 2 and 3?

Edited by DarthWHAT

If you are missing rom files it should display a windows showing you the files missing.

For reference, my hotd.zip has 29 files within, and the zip file has a CRC32 checksum of 018FACCC.

What video card do you have?

You could try loading the games with MAME, but you won't be able to play them. It can be handy for checking you have the right files and checking controls though.

Hotd loads in mame just not correctly so the rom works just not in  It’s a hp prodesk mini so it’s not a separate card and not sure what it is but it runs everything pretty good. Have steam on there and play pc games on it as well.

Edited by DarthWHAT

9 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Is this the only game that has this issue?

This emulator doesn't seem to have a way to see more verbose information, so not sure where look next.

I have tried daytona but I get a files missing window which seems fixable if I get all the files. I really just want the HOTD working as I'm putting a lightgun on my arcade 1up. Are there any other emulators out there that will work with sega model 2 and 3? I've seen mention of one called supermodel, but I think it only works in a command prompt window.

could it be that you have it set to a resolution that won't load in the ini file? I'm using the model 2 emulator pointed at my MAME folder for the directory so its using the latest ROM set and working no issues just ran a few different versions of Daytona and ran HOTD to set it up to run for US region so I get the winners don't use drugs logo (no wonder I'm such a loser) in the beginning.

3 hours ago, DOS76 said:

could it be that you have it set to a resolution that won't load in the ini file? I'm using the model 2 emulator pointed at my MAME folder for the directory so its using the latest ROM set and working no issues just ran a few different versions of Daytona and ran HOTD to set it up to run for US region so I get the winners don't use drugs logo (no wonder I'm such a loser) in the beginning.

I do not have any resolution set (that I know of) I don't even see a option to do that in SM2 emu except switch to full screen. Also I never got it to load so there wasnt a ini created.