LaunchBox Community Forums

Need help to get Launchbox back up an running

Viis83199

Hello all,

Interesting situation happened today and I could really use some assistance to figure out what has happened.  I have run Launchbox without issue now for almost 2 years on my laptop.  For reference, it is an ASUS ROG strix 2, specific model is the GL503DB-71, running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with the latest update version 1903.  The only update between last night and today were three definition updates (I can provide the specific definition updates if needed).  I have been running both official and beta releases without issue until last night, with the current Launchbox 9.10 official release on the laptop.  As of last night, Launchbox fails to open at all.  I click on my start menu shortcut like always, and it begins the launching process, and then immediately crashes without providing any error message at all so I have no idea where to start trouble shooting.  I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Launchbox on my mass storage "D" drive where it has been since I first got the program.  It is a seagate firecuda 2TB.  I also attempted to do a fresh install on my main "C" drive that is a Samsung 970 EVO M.@ Nvme 250 GB drive, but both drives feature the same issue and i am unable to open the program at all.  I purchased a lifetime license for the program a little over a year ago and would really hate to lose the ability to use the Launchbox program moving forward as I have several games across multiple emulators.  If anyone is able to provide any advice or suggestions, i would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you all in advance!

1 hour ago, Viis83199 said:

Hello all,

Interesting situation happened today and I could really use some assistance to figure out what has happened.  I have run Launchbox without issue now for almost 2 years on my laptop.  For reference, it is an ASUS ROG strix 2, specific model is the GL503DB-71, running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with the latest update version 1903.  The only update between last night and today were three definition updates (I can provide the specific definition updates if needed).  I have been running both official and beta releases without issue until last night, with the current Launchbox 9.10 official release on the laptop.  As of last night, Launchbox fails to open at all.  I click on my start menu shortcut like always, and it begins the launching process, and then immediately crashes without providing any error message at all so I have no idea where to start trouble shooting.  I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Launchbox on my mass storage "D" drive where it has been since I first got the program.  It is a seagate firecuda 2TB.  I also attempted to do a fresh install on my main "C" drive that is a Samsung 970 EVO M.@ Nvme 250 GB drive, but both drives feature the same issue and i am unable to open the program at all.  I purchased a lifetime license for the program a little over a year ago and would really hate to lose the ability to use the Launchbox program moving forward as I have several games across multiple emulators.  If anyone is able to provide any advice or suggestions, i would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you all in advance!

Have you verified any anit-virus you may have running isn't interfering with the running of LaunchBox? Rarely I have mine pop up and cause issues because of a new release that it doesn't recognize. Just something to check.

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Are either of you running Riva Tuner? If so try adding an exception for Launchbox/BigBox and see if that helps. There are quite a few posts of it causing issues. 

No me... Added nothing I can think of..

FRK

If you have several instances of LaunchBox running on the same computer, and one works but two do not, the first question to ask is if they are all the same version of LaunchBox. If not, it would probably be best to upgrade them to match. If that's not the issue, I would think that it has to be one of these potential issues:

• File permissions issue
  • Corrupt data (XML files)
  • Corrupt media (shouldn't cause LaunchBox to not start, but I suppose it's possible)
  • File system corruption
  • Software interference (most likely crappy anti-virus if it's working in one folder but not another)
  • Thanks 1

Hello again all,

First off, I want to thank you all for your insight and assistance with my issue.  

Second, I am happy to report that I have worked out the issue.  After an evening of web searching and the like, I managed to figure out how to uninstall the latest Windows 10 update and that solved my problem.  

To be clear, I was only running one version of Launchbox on one hard drive, and not multiple versions on two drives.  When the issue started I simply tried uninstalling the Launchbox application and reinstalling it on the different drives to see if it was a drive specific issue since I got no error messages.  I also run Kaspersky antivirus, but that has never given me an issue while running Launchbox.  I also use a VPN service, and thought that might have been the issue but it was not.  I remember having issues with certain programs and or applications after some previous Windows updates, so I started looking into that.

The issue was specifically: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x-64 based systems (KB4512941)

I have no idea what this specific update does, but I see no noticable difference between the "before and after" performance of my laptop, so I figure I am good with it until something happens.  Not to mention, with the use of a VPN and decent Antivirus service I should be plenty safe for the time being.  Hopefully this will provide some others on here some assistance.

It is relatively easy to uninstal Windows 10 updates back to a certain point, I just am not advocating that others do this without making that decision for themselves and understand the potential risks that may occur if they do this.  

Lastly, hopefully the Launchbox staff can take a look at the above mentioned update and see what may (or may not) be the reason behind the issue I experienced.  

Now, I have some serious gaming to back to!

@Viis83199 Glad you got it sorted and are back up and running. Interesting for you that uninstalling 1903 fixed it. I updated to 1903 a couple weeks ago with no issues. I have two other setups not in 1903 so I may update to see if anything triggers. There were a couple other threads of Launchbox not opening after a 1903 update but it turned out for those users it was Riva Tuner. So I wonder if something happened with the 1903 and Riva Tuner. Are you using Riva Tuner by chance? 

On 9/6/2019 at 7:33 PM, Retro808 said:

@Viis83199 Glad you got it sorted and are back up and running. Interesting for you that uninstalling 1903 fixed it. I updated to 1903 a couple weeks ago with no issues. I have two other setups not in 1903 so I may update to see if anything triggers. There were a couple other threads of Launchbox not opening after a 1903 update but it turned out for those users it was Riva Tuner. So I wonder if something happened with the 1903 and Riva Tuner. Are you using Riva Tuner by chance? 

Yes, I am running Riva Tuner, but it has never given me issues prior to this.  Ultimately, I reverted back to the previous Windows 10 version, and it fixed all my gaming issues.  Turns out that both Far Cry 5 and New Dawn also experienced runnability hiccups, so this was a good option for me.

2 hours ago, Viis83199 said:

Yes, I am running Riva Tuner, but it has never given me issues prior to this.  Ultimately, I reverted back to the previous Windows 10 version, and it fixed all my gaming issues.  Turns out that both Far Cry 5 and New Dawn also experienced runnability hiccups, so this was a good option for me.

That's the thing though, for the other users Riva Tuner had not cause them issues with Launchbox until that Windows update. I would keep it in mind though if you ever update Windows again, if this issue appears again try adding an exclusion to Riva Tuner for Launchbox. 

11 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

That's the thing though, for the other users Riva Tuner had not cause them issues with Launchbox until that Windows update. I would keep it in mind though if you ever update Windows again, if this issue appears again try adding an exclusion to Riva Tuner for Launchbox. 

Yeah i actual experienced this issue myself the other day after a windows update, Launchbox just stopped loading. In my case it was riva tuner, once i added a exception to it for Launchbox it worked again just fine. I have been using riva tuner for years with no issue with Launchbox, although other users have had issues with it in the past. Seems like i finally caught that issue also after the last windows update. Adding that exception fixed it right up though.

image.thumb.png.cfdaf48f8a8f4d59f766cf1351d33ffd.png