LaunchBox Community Forums

Delete game from collection PLUS media?

DeadVoivod

Sometimes I set my settings that if I delete a game within LB that it also deletes it straight away from my disk. Annoying part is that I still have then to delete images, videos and music manually, as I won’t need them anymore, saving some space. Can become cumbersome when deleting several games.

is there a way that the media also gets deleted when deleting games, or do I have to do it manually?

Still playing around a bit with LB to learn before I add more stuff, because my next collections I add, will only contain games that I will filter out of complete sets, otherwise I can become quite messy, when you have over 1000 entries for one single system, plus obviously it takes up more space. 

2 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

Sometimes I set my settings that if I delete a game within LB that it also deletes it straight away from my disk. Annoying part is that I still have then to delete images, videos and music manually, as I won’t need them anymore, saving some space. Can become cumbersome when deleting several games.

is there a way that the media also gets deleted when deleting games, or do I have to do it manually?

Still playing around a bit with LB to learn before I add more stuff, because my next collections I add, will only contain games that I will filter out of complete sets, otherwise I can become quite messy, when you have over 1000 entries for one single system, plus obviously it takes up more space. 

You will need to delete manually, or use the media cleanup tool.

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You will need to delete manually, or use the media cleanup tool.

On a similar note, when you delete a rom from your collection and you are presented with a dialog asking if you want to delete other associated files, it would be nice to know specifically which file(s) these are.

Are there specific rules LB uses to determine which files are being removed? For example, if I delete a MAME rom, is the additional file just the associated CHD file as well, or is a separate BIOS rom also a possibility?

23 hours ago, jophran said:

I think that question refers to files under "Aditional Apps".

I don't believe so.

That would be a terrible idea as additional apps you use can apply to many completely different roms. If you deleted for one rom that used that, you could be changing the set up for many other roms/files.

I'm pretty sure at least for MAME roms, is additional files means CHDs, but it would be nice to have some exact clarification about what LB looks to delete and/or what files it actually deletes.

9 hours ago, DOS76 said:

It is not the CHD as the CHD is completely handled by MAME itself and has nothing to do with LB at all. LB won't even know if you have the CHD that will be determined by MAME.

Very odd.

I did nothing more than more delete both "Mace" and "Vapor TRX" in LB, was given a dialog about additional ROMs, and both CHDs were deleted from their folders in the MAME rom directory. 

What's stranger is it doesn't happen for every MAME rom with CHDs. I wonder than if there might be some "corruption/extraneous" info  in the Arcade.xml platform file from earlier imports, as I don't have Additional Apps set for any MAME rom.

Edit: Re-added these two roms and deleted, and CHDs remain. Something wrong on my end, looking into.

Would still like to know what exactly LB is deleting when it says additional ROMs.

Edited by Headrush69

17 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I asked Jason about this and he confirmed it is for additional apps.

Thanks, the information I was hoping for.

Wouldn't it be better for this dialog to say "Would you like to delete Additional Application app(s) as well?" instead of "Would you like to delete Additional Application ROM(s)?"

Definitely something wrong on my system, I have no Additional Apps set for MAME, yet in pruning my rom list I've encountered this dialog many times. I'm going to see I can re-produce it more and find out what is going on. 

Edit: Did some more testing and inside my Arcade.xml file, there are indeed <AdditionalApplication> entries for some MAME roms. Some point to the CHD, some point to a parent/clone of the same ROM and some are just a repeat of the rom name. So in reality for these entries the CHD was marked as an additional ROM. 

At this point I have to believe this is related to some corruption I had with my Data/xml platforms files about a year ago. I thought I had cleanly re-imported from scratch everything, but I'm going to re-do and see what happens.

Edited by Headrush69

Are your CHD's in the same folder with your ROM maybe that has an effect on whether or not it imports them as additional apps I really don't know I always keep mine in a separate CHD folder that I just point the MAME.ini to so it knows its location.

24 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Are your CHD's in the same folder with your ROM maybe that has an effect on whether or not it imports them as additional apps I really don't know I always keep mine in a separate CHD folder that I just point the MAME.ini to so it knows its location.

They are in the roms folder in individual folders.  (MAME/roms/area51/area51.chd)

I thought the same thing as you and have been testing various scenarios to find the cause. If both the zip and CHD are imported, they show up as 2 entries in LB, no <AdditionalApp> entry in the Arcade.xml file.  

Edit: When importing MAME roms, (not using the Full set import), if you add both the zip file and the CHD file, and you have the Combine roms with the same name option enabled, <AdditionalApplication> entries will be made for both the zip file and the CHD file.

I normally don't import CHDs files, but somehow some must have snuck in previously. So this is why CHDs were being deleted.

Edited by Headrush69