LaunchBox Community Forums

ScummVM has an update - is there an ideal way to update the version within LaunchBox?

PurpleTentacle

I read that the update added a "pixel perfect" scaling option, as well as compatibility with a few games, improved Roland MT-32 sound emulation, and support for syncing save games via cloud services (pretty impressive set of new features!). I went to update my non-LaunchBox version of ScummVM, and I noticed that it uses the installer, which I'm guessing isn't ideal for the LaunchBox version. I'm looking at the download page on ScummVM's website, and I assume I'd want to use the "Windows 64bit zipfile" version to overwrite my files, but I'm not sure if there are any files that I *shouldn't* overwrite. It's worth pointing out that I'm also using the EpicFail ScummVM Launcher, so I need to be careful about not messing up those settings (one of my hard drives is pretty big, so I'll probably make a copy of my LaunchBox folder & experiment with it, once I get the chance. I'll update this post once I do). 

Related question - anyone mess with the pixel perfect option in ScummVM? One thing that has bothered me, including with DOS Box, is that the resolution scaling can be off. I never really notice it, but I like to try to capture the original experience as much as possible (minus quality of life things - I don't need to emulate the load times of old floppy drives, or switching disks, although I do like how the Amiga emulator has the option to simulate that, down to the disc reading sounds ?). Also curious about the improved Roland MT-32 emulation, since I LOVE that feature, but sometimes the notes sound a bit sour.

20 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I read that the update added a "pixel perfect" scaling option, as well as compatibility with a few games, improved Roland MT-32 sound emulation, and support for syncing save games via cloud services (pretty impressive set of new features!). I went to update my non-LaunchBox version of ScummVM, and I noticed that it uses the installer, which I'm guessing isn't ideal for the LaunchBox version. I'm looking at the download page on ScummVM's website, and I assume I'd want to use the "Windows 64bit zipfile" version to overwrite my files, but I'm not sure if there are any files that I *shouldn't* overwrite. It's worth pointing out that I'm also using the EpicFail ScummVM Launcher, so I need to be careful about not messing up those settings (one of my hard drives is pretty big, so I'll probably make a copy of my LaunchBox folder & experiment with it, once I get the chance. I'll update this post once I do). 

Related question - anyone mess with the pixel perfect option in ScummVM? One thing that has bothered me, including with DOS Box, is that the resolution scaling can be off. I never really notice it, but I like to try to capture the original experience as much as possible (minus quality of life things - I don't need to emulate the load times of old floppy drives, or switching disks, although I do like how the Amiga emulator has the option to simulate that, down to the disc reading sounds ?). Also curious about the improved Roland MT-32 emulation, since I LOVE that feature, but sometimes the notes sound a bit sour.

Im guessing you can not overwrite the version included with Launchbox, you would have to add the new version as a new emulator. Launchbox checks for its required files at launch and recreates them if it cant find them, so would likely overwrite anything you add there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Im guessing you can not overwrite the version included with Launchbox, you would have to add the new version as a new emulator. Launchbox checks for its required files at launch and recreates them if it cant find them, so would likely overwrite anything you add there.

Ohh, right. Kind of forgot about that. Given that I use EpicFail's ScummVM Launcher to make ScummVM portable, I'm not sure it will work the way I want it to, though (the EpicFail ScummVM Launcher creates bat files that point to LaunchBox's version of ScummVM, which I could potentially edit/redo, but I'm not 100% sure that would work, and even if it does, it would take a bit of fuss to get it to work). 

Might look into it if I have the time, but for now, probably not worth the effort for me. Thanks for the response!

I added the new ScummVM as a separate emulator.  If use the pointer files in this thread it will get you 90% there. I didn't do for every version/game but you get the idea.  I used EpicFails launcher prior but he would also need to update plugin since his DB internal to the program doesn't pull all the codes for the new games.  One advantage (like the internal LB method) is that it works with Pause Screens which is what originally sent me down the path since wanted access to manuals in pause.  Pause screens, at least on my setup, never worked if using the batch file method.  The other is that this will also work with Retroarch with no changes since pointer files have GameID files in the text file as well. 

Edited by sundogak

You can replace the original Launchbox ScummVM with the new update, no problem. I did and haven't encountered an issue (other than adding the new games not in LB's database yet like Blade Runner). It carried over the old config stuff without me doing anything other than copy/replace.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...