LaunchBox Community Forums

Nebula Model 2 Emulator fullscreen and aspect ratio issue

Light Sock

Hi, I'm using the Sega arcade Model 2 Emulator from Nebula.

The games launch fullscreen and are 16x9 instead of 4x3.

This topic gives a hack to add black bars with a .lua file which works in windowed mode.

Unfortunately once in fullscreen it ignores the hack and still show the game stretched.

Here's an example of the lua file that needs some love:

require("model2");	-- Import model2 machine globals

function Init()

end

function Frame()
	  Model2_SetWideScreen(1)

Model2_SetStretchALow(1)
	Model2_SetStretchAHigh(1)

Model2_SetStretchBLow(1)
	Model2_SetStretchBHigh(1)
end

Thanks for anyone who'll be able to help me figure this out :)

Edited by G22

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have found a solution for this problem? 

I do have a ultrawide screen, and when using the newest version of the model 2 emulator in Fullscreen with Max resolution (3840x1600), it stretches the whole image instead of just keeping the game with the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Unfortunately the lua Hack doesn't work for me.

Many thanks for your help.

26 minutes ago, Ricardo Gomes said:

Does anyone have found a solution for this problem? 

I do have a ultrawide screen, and when using the newest version of the model 2 emulator in Fullscreen with Max resolution (3840x1600), it stretches the whole image instead of just keeping the game with the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Unfortunately the lua Hack doesn't work for me.

Many thanks for your help.

Like Dos mentioned in his post you should not need a hack. It can run in 4:3 natively. I would check your emulator.ini and make sure in the line for WideScreenWindow it is set to 0. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 8.02.24 AM.png

For those not comfortable editing the emulator.ini, check out the Sega Model 2 UI.

You'll still call the default emulator from LB, but for testing and trying things out it handy. You'll likely get a spam warning about print.dll, it's a false positive. You can read the thread above where the developer explains and shows what it does.

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Like Dos mentioned in his post you should not need a hack. It can run in 4:3 natively. I would check your emulator.ini and make sure in the line for WideScreenWindow it is set to 0. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 8.02.24 AM.png

Believe me, I tried everything and Sega Rally still streched ou in FullScreen mode.

Please check my Emulator INI and Lua Files attached. Aswell my Screenfotos

20200502_173631.jpg

20200502_173641.jpg

20200502_173647.jpg

EMULATOR.INI EMULATOR (Test).INI srallyc.lua srallyc (Test).lua

My srallyc.lua is completely different. 

require("model2")
function Init()
end
function Frame()
local state = I960_ReadByte(0x202098)
local state2 = I960_ReadByte(0x20209C)
local state3 = I960_ReadByte(0x2020AC)
if state==3 and state2==5 and state3==1 then
Model2_SetWideScreen(0)
else
Model2_SetWideScreen(1)
end
end

I could have updated somewhere along the line, I don't remember, but 4:3 and 16:9 both work by setting WideScreenWindow=. (Even though it says WIndow, affects Fullscreen)

Edit: I downloaded a clean copy of m2emulator 1.1a and your srallyc.lua doesn't match the one included. You must have updated from another source. Maybe they are the problem.

Edit 2: Looks like my updated widescreen scripts all came with the Sega Model 2 UI I linked to above.

Edited by Headrush69

2 hours ago, Ricardo Gomes said:

I have the same as you too... The ones I uploaded where those from topskatr.lua...apparently the solution to the problem (see first post). Neither with the original or the fix works by me.

Those posts are 3 years old, I'd stick with the newer scripts.

Like others have mentioned it should default to 4:3 so not sure what's causing your issue. Maybe that ultrawide resolution is causing an issue. Maybe setting the resolution to 2048x1536 in emulator.ini with WideScreenWindow=0 and see if that changes anything.

Edited by Headrush69

• 4 months later...

I had this same issue, and it appeared that the emulator was ignoring the ini settings.  I was able to fix it.  The issue was with my display settings, not the emulator.  I have a NVIDIA graphics card and under "Display" ->"Adjust desktop size and position", I changed "Perform scaling on:" from 'Display' to 'GPU'.  This fixed it for all games.  It appears that display scaling settings were overriding the emulator.  Give it a try!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 8:42 AM, Retro-75 said:

I had this same issue, and it appeared that the emulator was ignoring the ini settings.  I was able to fix it.  The issue was with my display settings, not the emulator.  I have a NVIDIA graphics card and under "Display" ->"Adjust desktop size and position", I changed "Perform scaling on:" from 'Display' to 'GPU'.  This fixed it for all games.  It appears that display scaling settings were overriding the emulator.  Give it a try!

Thank goodness you figured it out.  This sort of thing drives me crazy.

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, SLUGIE79 said:

Hi Overlord

I have already done that and it made no difference?

Any other ideas thank you

- Check your emulator.ini file if the following line appear (exactly):

;These options are configured from menus so don't touch
FullMode=4	
Sound=1
Frameskip=-1
AutoFull=1

- Check if you have m2emulator installed multiple times on your pc. Actually I mean that the emulator path in LaunchBox is the same emulator as you have configured. Sometimes people have multiple installations of the same emulator and point LaunchBox to a different installation as they have configured and wonder why it doesn't work.

- Add LUA scripts for proper widescreen support to m2emulator. Somebody posted some recently here:

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord

In your emulator.ini screenshot you have set the resolution to 3840x2160 and widescreen. Your gameplay screenshot shows a 4:3 ratio. A widescreen resolution in a 4:3 frame would look like if it's quashed. But your screenshot looks proper 4:3 and that makes me believe your settings from your emulator.ini are not being applied.

9 minutes ago, SLUGIE79 said:

what about if i did the same as sega model 3 and changed the high DPI settings in the emulator as in image ?

I don't think that that would make a difference as the image is proper fullscreen. Just not 16:9.

For further solutions I am all out of ideas I'm afraid.

22 minutes ago, SLUGIE79 said:

Do you think its work starting again with the emulator and see if it works could the resolution size of 3840x2160 be affecting the emulator maybe as its too big of a resolution for emulator??

If it's worth starting over again that's up to you. But I have it running at 3840x2160 widescreen so it's not that the emulator isn't capable of it.