LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox crash while sitting idle doing attract mode

MrSco

Just now, Jason Carr said:

I've done my most recent testing (that was I referring to on those three machines) with Unified Redux and Default.

ok, will try those.  I was not on either of those... I was using ... CriticalZonev2.. BlueBox

If you happen to know that one has issues... we may have found my problem. 

Anyhow, will test out the ones you recommended.

Just now, JohnnyK said:

ok, will try those.  I was not on either of those... I was using ... CriticalZonev2.. BlueBox

If you happen to know that one has issues... we may have found my problem. 

Anyhow, will test out the ones you recommended.

I am not aware of any issues with that theme, but I will admit that I haven't tested it in a very long time, so it is possible.

So as an update, I have been running it mostly uninterrupted since I last posted without any issues.   I say Mostly uninterupted because I want to have a solid week or 2 without touching it... and I have only maybe had 4 or so days at a time due to holidays and people playing it.  HOWEVER, I will say it has not froze or needed a restart.   And just a few moments ago I played Mortal Kombat 3 on it after a 3 or so day span of not touching it and it started right up without a hitch.  

I was originally running the CriticalZoneV2 theme... and then switched to the default theme and its been fine ever since.

I will update as time goes on.. but so far so good and I have a feeling this default theme is much more stable than the CriticalZonev2

Edited by JohnnyK

38 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

So as an update, I have been running it mostly uninterrupted since I last posted without any issues.   I say Mostly uninterupted because I want to have a solid week or 2 without touching it... and I have only maybe had 4 or so days at a time due to holidays and people playing it.  HOWEVER, I will say it has not froze or needed a restart.   And just a few moments ago I played Mortal Kombat 3 on it after a 3 or so day span of not touching it and it started right up without a hitch.  

I was originally running the CriticalZoneV2 theme... and then switched to the default theme and its been fine ever since.

I will update as time goes on.. but so far so good and I have a feeling this default theme is much more stable than the CriticalZonev2

Wow, okay. Thank you for that; that is very helpful information. We'll do some testing with CriticalZone.

UPDATE

I tried again just now... after letting the cabinet run since last time I posted.

THE GOOD, is that the cabinet stayed running in the attraction mode.  With my previous theme (CriticalZone) it would have crashed by now.

THE BAD, is that when I tried to run anything I get a MAME64 error.   The error is odd, it just shows the title bar.. but the contents of the error I can not see.. its just totally transparent with a thin black like around what would have been the border.

But yeah, at least I didnt have to do a hard reset... I could still go back UNLOCK the attraction mode.. hit REBOOT.. and all is well... but would be cool if I could just come back after a week or however long its been and play the game without having to reboot.  Or heck, if I had something that rebooted the system every... I dunno.. 3 nights... that would solve it as well.

UPDATE

Havent touched it since my last update...

Tried to Run MS Pc Man...   it DID run it... or at least I got it to the main screen.  But it took quite a while to load. I would say a good 30 seconds to bring it up, when normally its only maybe 5 at the most.  I can tell its on the edge of running out of memory and headed for a lockup... the best bet is to do a reboot which I will do right after I write this.

Once again, it does seem to be handling the issues I have better than the CriticalZone update.. but its not something you can just run forever without any issues.  I should note, I do NOT generally have the system hooked up to the internet.  I do this so the system does not do anything unless I tell it.  Not sure how important that is but I figured I would bring it up.

All that said, I would LOVE to hear any ideas on how I could prevent this slowdown (memory leak?)  from happening.   Is there some way I could replace the Videos with just images?  Or just disable videos entirely?  Would that help?  

Happy Holidays all.

Edited by JohnnyK

3 hours ago, superrob3000 said:

Just reboot overnight and have your BigBox shortcut in the windows startup folder.

Huh, well this I will certainly use.    Being a guy that rarely reboots his computers, not a HUGE fan of rebooting every single night... but its not a dealbreaker.

Thank you kind sir! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

• Like 1