LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox crash while sitting idle doing attract mode

MrSco

I just had BigBox.exe crash on me while it was running for a couple hours just sitting idle going through its random attract mode switching through games and having the videos play. I've had it I've had it do this much longer without issues before. I'm on the latest version of launchbox 10.7...

Here is the event log error...

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 10.7.0.0, time stamp: 0x5dd429b2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0x99ca0526
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9269
Faulting process id: 0x1c08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5a46e85993ab6
Faulting application path: H:\Arcade\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a61fdc1c-b95d-4916-bb93-a9f2f74567bf
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

any ideas?

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Are you running Windows Media Player or VLC for your video playback engine? I have recently seen Microsoft introduce stability issues with Windows Media Player in recent updates.

I think it’s set to VLC... should I try swapping ?

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, if you're already on VLC, then you probably won't want to switch to WMP. Do you have the same issue with other themes?

haven't tried other themes. i've been using this viking colorful theme for a while now (and letting it sit idle on attract mode for many hours) and its worked great up until LaunchBox 10.7 ... now crashes after extended periods of idle.

3 minutes ago, MrSco said:

haven't tried other themes. i've been using this viking colorful theme for a while now (and letting it sit idle on attract mode for many hours) and its worked great up until LaunchBox 10.7 ... now crashes after extended periods of idle.

I'll do some testing to confirm, but unfortunately I'm guessing it's related to driver updates or Windows updates. Do see if you have any driver updates available.

@Jason Carr  i have noticed the same crashing. running Unified Refried and have latest nvidia driver (was crashing prior to newest driver as well), and VLC as media player.  My cab is offline and does not have the most recent MS updates (only video driver and lb updates).  I would have to check but i believe it is up to the April 2019 update.  Is there a log or something i can provide or even get to help? 

33 minutes ago, ed20910 said:

@Jason Carr  i have noticed the same crashing. running Unified Refried and have latest nvidia driver (was crashing prior to newest driver as well), and VLC as media player.  My cab is offline and does not have the most recent MS updates (only video driver and lb updates).  I would have to check but i believe it is up to the April 2019 update.  Is there a log or something i can provide or even get to help? 

I'm doing some further testing on my end. It may indeed be that update, but I'm almost certain that it's not affecting most systems, which makes it even more difficult to pinpoint and fix. I'll do some further testing on the machines that I have.

Unfortunately, these are characteristically .NET crashes, which typically don't give me anything useful to go by to fix the issue. If it is what I think it is (a Windows or .NET glitch), sadly there may not be much I can do at all. I assume it's crashing to the desktop without any errors being reported on screen?

yeah, i would on that pc, but for some reason it wont update (goes thru update, then reverts back to prior version) and i havent felt like digging into why.  it works and only has my lb build so not real concerned about it.  i know its not the same, but will try letting attract mode run on my laptop and see if it crashes.  and there are no errors.  it just the usual, Bigbox.exe is not responding.

Tried again and crashed soon after,

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 10.7.0.0, time stamp: 0x5dd429b2
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ff7bf5a5af2
Faulting process id: 0x13fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5a5b6554cbc9b
Faulting application path: F:\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: fd9a7782-2a79-44c6-a23e-b912cc783a34
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Application: BigBox.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at SharpDX.XAudio2.XAudio2.UnregisterForCallbacks_(IntPtr)
   at SharpDX.XAudio2.XAudio2.Dispose(Boolean)
   at SharpDX.DisposeBase.CheckAndDispose(Boolean)
   at DynamicClass.(Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Audio.SoundManager)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Audio.SoundManager.Initialize()
   at DynamicClass.(Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Audio.SoundManager, Boolean)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Audio.SoundManager.PlayMove(Boolean)
   at DynamicClass.(Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.TextGamesViewModel)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.TextGamesViewModel.OnMoveNext()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnMoveNext()
   at DynamicClass.(Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.AttractMode)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.AttractMode.Spin()
   at DynamicClass.(Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.AttractMode)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.AttractMode.Move()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.AttractMode.TimerElapsed(System.Object, System.Timers.ElapsedEventArgs)
   at System.Timers.Timer.MyTimerCallback(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback()
   at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.Fire()
   at System.Threading.TimerQueue.FireNextTimers()

On 11/27/2019 at 12:35 PM, Jason Carr said:

I'll do some testing to confirm, but unfortunately I'm guessing it's related to driver updates or Windows updates. Do see if you have any driver updates available.

I got latest windows updates and it even had an intel graphics driver update And did that too but it’s still crashing the same way. 

@wallmachine Looks like you might be dealing with issues caused by an audio device getting removed or disabled, or something of that nature. I'm going to see if I can make that code more robust in that situation, but if I had to guess based on your logs, that'd be my guess (at least for that one situation and log file).

On 11/27/2019 at 8:20 PM, ed20910 said:

yeah, i would on that pc, but for some reason it wont update (goes thru update, then reverts back to prior version) and i havent felt like digging into why.  it works and only has my lb build so not real concerned about it.  i know its not the same, but will try letting attract mode run on my laptop and see if it crashes.  and there are no errors.  it just the usual, Bigbox.exe is not responding.

In that case, unfortunately you're dealing with a compromised system, so there's not much we can do to help in that regard unless you can reinstall Windows and get everything working properly. I'm sorry for the bad news on that one.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:36 AM, MrSco said:

I got latest windows updates and it even had an intel graphics driver update And did that too but it’s still crashing the same way. 

The particular error you're running into is a heap corruption error with the .NET Framework, which is unfortunately a nightmare because it could be caused by anything, and it's probably a bug with a driver, Windows, or the .NET Framework. So bad news there as well, because without a lead, there's not a whole lot I can do. What I would recommend there, is to make sure that you close down any and all apps that could be running in the background (use Task Manager), and unplug any extra USB devices you have plugged into the machine, just to be safe (other than keyboard and mouse). From there, we can figure out if it's still happening or not, and try to pinpoint what might be causing it. Sadly, this one's not going to be easy, but we can probably get it figured out eventually if you're willing to do a little sleuthing.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

@wallmachine Looks like you might be dealing with issues caused by an audio device getting removed or disabled, or something of that nature. I'm going to see if I can make that code more robust in that situation, but if I had to guess based on your logs, that'd be my guess (at least for that one situation and log file).

In that case, unfortunately you're dealing with a compromised system, so there's not much we can do to help in that regard unless you can reinstall Windows and get everything working properly. I'm sorry for the bad news on that one.

The particular error you're running into is a heap corruption error with the .NET Framework, which is unfortunately a nightmare because it could be caused by anything, and it's probably a bug with a driver, Windows, or the .NET Framework. So bad news there as well, because without a lead, there's not a whole lot I can do. What I would recommend there, is to make sure that you close down any and all apps that could be running in the background (use Task Manager), and unplug any extra USB devices you have plugged into the machine, just to be safe (other than keyboard and mouse). From there, we can figure out if it's still happening or not, and try to pinpoint what might be causing it. Sadly, this one's not going to be easy, but we can probably get it figured out eventually if you're willing to do a little sleuthing.

thanks, I'll try sleuthing this week and post back...

• Like 1