LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox crash while sitting idle doing attract mode

MrSco

Yeah, the FLV videos were removed.. and the images were removed.   Just like I mentioned in the previous post...

And yeah I am minorly interested myself to see if its the FLV videos.  But want to let this run for a few days before I try that.

Why?   Well I still have a theory that there might be some Corrupt videos in the MP4 collection I am using.  And since I have 600 or so games, maybe they just werent picked from the random list last night.

So if by Monday it doesnt crash, I will put the FLV videos back in and see what happens.

Update that things are still working fine with me since I removed the FLV files and the Images.

I know I said I would add the FLV videos back in to test... but no idea when that will be.  For one, I kinda dont wanna mess with a system that I have been trying for close to 2 years to get it working like it is now... but also cuz I am just busy.   Anyhow, its an easy thing to test for the Launchbox guys I am sure.. just stick a shitload of FLV videos in there and see what happens.

But what I can tell you is that MP4 seems to work fine, as I have had it running nonstop since last week (I never shut my machine off) and its been working flawlessly.

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Update that things are still working fine with me since I removed the FLV files and the Images.

I know I said I would add the FLV videos back in to test... but no idea when that will be.  For one, I kinda dont wanna mess with a system that I have been trying for close to 2 years to get it working like it is now... but also cuz I am just busy.   Anyhow, its an easy thing to test for the Launchbox guys I am sure.. just stick a shitload of FLV videos in there and see what happens.

But what I can tell you is that MP4 seems to work fine, as I have had it running nonstop since last week (I never shut my machine off) and its been working flawlessly.

Cheers!

That is really quite interesting. It's been ages since I've tested with FLV files, so that could actually be the culprit. We'll investigate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

That is really quite interesting. It's been ages since I've tested with FLV files, so that could actually be the culprit. We'll investigate.

quite... i have about 142 .flv video files out of 18,000+ total videos... so that indeed would be random AF if .flv causes the crashes

On 7/3/2020 at 7:32 AM, MrSco said:

I’m running the new 11 update and I setup a webcam to watch attract mode and catch the crash happening. It happened after about 3 hours of attract mode running. After restarting bigbox I tried browsing the section of games it died on (satellaview) but they all displayed fine (some video snaps and some image snaps) and no crash. 

the only other thing I can Think of that could be causing it is a program I use in the background to control the volume and default audio devices via hotness... Volume2... https://github.com/irzyxa/Volume2

could you maybe try running that program in the background to see if you experience issues with it? Maybe the volume control hooks in bigbox are fighting against volume2 randomly?

it does indeed seem to be something with my Windows environment though...I’d like to figure it out and not just format the computer and it starts working without knowing the cause. 

Great updates lately! thanks for the help!

i went back to check what video file types i have for Ninento Satellaview when i got this crash recorded happening in real-time, but they are all .mp4 ... so i'm not sure its it... but maybe its queuing them up in the background?

Well I did the update, AND removed those files... so it could have been anything.  I dont know what the update fixed from .10 to .11 that would have solved my issue.  But maybe Jason knows.   All I know is the only meaningful thing I did was remove those odd video files, Images and then updated.  

18 minutes ago, MrSco said:

i went back to check what video file types i have for Ninento Satellaview when i got this crash recorded happening in real-time, but they are all .mp4 ... so i'm not sure its it... but maybe its queuing them up in the background?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, JohnnyK said:

Well I did the update, AND removed those files... so it could have been anything.  I dont know what the update fixed from .10 to .11 that would have solved my issue.  But maybe Jason knows.   All I know is the only meaningful thing I did was remove those odd video files, Images and then updated.  

Same here. No crashes in 48 hours. Could be .11 or removing the .flv files. 

well done sir on identifying the flv! I’ve been dealing with this for 2 years!

I was able to remove the relaunch loop from my startup script!

thanks to everyone on this thread for their ideas and help and especially to @JohnnyK  for figuring it out and @Jason Carr for making the most epic front end software evar!

2 hours ago, MrSco said:

Same here. No crashes in 48 hours. Could be .11 or removing the .flv files. 

well done sir on identifying the flv! I’ve been dealing with this for 2 years!

I was able to remove the relaunch loop from my startup script!

thanks to everyone on this thread for their ideas and help and especially to @JohnnyK  for figuring it out and @Jason Carr for making the most epic front end software evar!

i spoke too soon... just got a crash... at least there's an error message now? also when it crashed RAM usage was around 12gb out of 16gb and after it was around 4gb used out of the 16gb total. so it looks like a memory leak. I recently upgraded the nuc to have 16gb of ram (instead of 8gb)...

Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'obj')

App:     Big Box
Version: 11.11
Type:    System.ArgumentNullException
Site:    Int32 GetGeneration(System.Object)
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.GC.GetGeneration(Object obj)
   at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.VideoDisplayContext.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.VlcPlayer.<>c__DisplayClass123_0.<VideoFormatCallback>b__0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.ThreadSeparatedImage.<>c.<get_CommonDispatcher>b__8_0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

8:48:44 AM Exception

• Like 1

I would stick to MrSco's issue.. but as a general update mine has been doing pretty good.   

My only issue seems to be that when I run bigbox for a long time, like a few days or so.  And then my kids sit to play a game.. it will lock up about 80% of the time.  

No error message, no nothing.. it just totally bogs my system down so I have to do a task quit.  Which by the way usually takes a few hours as I will hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE.. then select task manager.. and that takes a good few hours.  then I kill it... reboot.. and the kids can play.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Hello, good morning!, I have the same problem. BigBox closes randomly. Could someone solve the problem?

BigBox.exe
   ntdll.dll
   4f115fac
   c0000374
   00000000000ff199
   29fc
   01d804e4d8ff7ab4
   C: \ Users \ arcadejuegos \ LaunchBox \ Core \ BigBox.exe
   C: \ Windows \ SYSTEM32 \ ntdll.dll
   d893420c-f5d5-4e98-b578-e096a1de1ee9

• 11 months later...

Hello Again,

I just wanted to chime in here after quite a while.. and say after updates and trying various things I STILL have this issue.  

After a few days 1 of 2 things will happen.  It will either...

1)  Freeze my system 

2) appear to be working, but if I try to run ANY game I will get Mame errors and will have to reboot.

I am convinced its some sorta memory issue... but not sure.

As sad as I am to try this, my next plan is to pick a theme that has no preview videos in Attract mode.  OR, just rename the folder so no videos show up.  I have a feeling its related to those, but its just a guess.

Beyond that, I will just try some other front end, which is unfortunate as I paid to have the full lifetime version of this.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Hello Again,

I just wanted to chime in here after quite a while.. and say after updates and trying various things I STILL have this issue.  

After a few days 1 of 2 things will happen.  It will either...

1)  Freeze my system 

2) appear to be working, but if I try to run ANY game I will get Mame errors and will have to reboot.

I am convinced its some sorta memory issue... but not sure.

As sad as I am to try this, my next plan is to pick a theme that has no preview videos in Attract mode.  OR, just rename the folder so no videos show up.  I have a feeling its related to those, but its just a guess.

Beyond that, I will just try some other front end, which is unfortunate as I paid to have the full lifetime version of this.

Please don't comment the exact same thing in multiple threads. We are working on this issue...and I can confirm that not everyone is affected by it at this point. In fact, I've successfully run the latest official release on 3 different machines for over a week running attract mode without issues. This is not to say that it is not an issue, because I know it is. The trouble is that it's not affecting every machine and so it's been difficult to pinpoint.

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Please don't comment the exact same thing in multiple threads. We are working on this issue...and I can confirm that not everyone is affected by it at this point. In fact, I've successfully run the latest official release on 3 different machines for over a week running attract mode without issues. This is not to say that it is not an issue, because I know it is. The trouble is that it's not affecting every machine and so it's been difficult to pinpoint.

Well it wasnt the exact same, but I get it that it was probably close enough.   However the reason I posted it in the other thread is because its ultra annoying, and I was trying to save others from going through what I did in the other thread.  If it was all in one thread I would have not created a new one.... I just noticed there were 2 groups talking about the same issue.

These people that have had it running for over a week... is there anyone besides YOU that has done this?   I would like to hear someone who isnt a Launchbox representative chime in about being able to do this.  As I am not sold when the guy that made it makes these claims.  Granted not saying your lying.. but... would just like more evidence that there is light at the end of the tunnel before I spend more time with this front end.

Anyhow, good luck finding the issue.

Edited by JohnnyK

14 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Also, I wanted to ask...  you mentioned you had it running for 1 week.  I am not being snarky, but does this mean after the 1 week it crashed?  Or you just mean that you stopped the test for other reasons after a week?  

I ask because I have had Launchbox appear to run for a week.. however the real test is to try to run any game after its been going for that long.  Which I have never successfully done.   After that long it will either hang up or Mame will just refuse to do anything throwing errors.

18 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Well it wasnt the exact same, but I get it that it was probably close enough.   However the reason I posted it in the other thread is because its ultra annoying, and I was trying to save others from going through what I did in the other thread.  If it was all in one thread I would have not created a new one.... I just noticed there were 2 groups talking about the same issue.

These people that have had it running for over a week... is there anyone besides YOU that has done this?   I would like to hear someone who isnt a Launchbox representative chime in about being able to do this.  As I am not sold when the guy that made it makes these claims.  Granted not saying your lying.. but... would just like more evidence that there is light at the end of the tunnel before I spend more time with this front end.

Anyhow, good luck finding the issue.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Also, I wanted to ask...  you mentioned you had it running for 1 week.  I am not being snarky, but does this mean after the 1 week it crashed?  Or you just mean that you stopped the test for other reasons after a week? 

I ask because I have had Launchbox appear to run for a week.. however the real test is to try to run any game after its been going for that long.  Which I have never successfully done.   After that long it will either hang up or Mame will just refuse to do anything throwing errors.

We're not really out to prove anything here; I'm only trying to clear things up. The people that aren't having issues don't tend to speak up. Regardless, I would appreciate if we could avoid negative assumptions like that. It's just not necessary or helpful. We would much rather send you out a refund than to have negativity like this on the forums, so just let us know if you'd like a refund because you're unhappy with the product.

Sorry last post here,

Which Theme is the most stable, and least intensive to run?  Meaning no Video, maybe just images.. or maybe no image previews either.. just name maybe?  

Please let me know which theme that is and I will give it a try and report back.

Just saw your other post so adding this in... Sorry not trying to be negative... but after you recommend a theme to me that is the most stable and most likely to run great...   if that doesnt work I may take you up on the refund thing since I would most likely have to switch front ends anyhow.

Cheers!

Edited by JohnnyK

1 minute ago, JohnnyK said:

Sorry last post here,

Which Theme is the most stable, and least intensive to run?  Meaning no Video, maybe just images.. or maybe no image previews either.. just name maybe?  

Please let me know which theme that is and I will give it a try and report back.

I've done my most recent testing (that was I referring to on those three machines) with Unified Redux and Default.