LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox crash while sitting idle doing attract mode

MrSco

On 9/30/2020 at 5:53 PM, Jason Carr said:

@MrSco I still never was able to replicate your issue, but I did put some significant fixes into 11.7-beta-3 that could possibly fix it.

I tested with latest beta starting last night around 9pm and got a crash this morning at 630am

On 9/25/2020 at 12:16 PM, ItchyRobot said:

I stopped it yesterday to play some pinball, but let it run all night again and its still running, no issues. So this seems to be a real fix, not a fluke

@Jason Carr After having a good run of no crashes the past few weeks, I just had another. After a few hours, I came home to see my desktop with a BigBox error message... see below (also reported it through the 'Report Error' automated process).
Though, I did not see an error in the Event Viewer, Windows Logs, Application.

The only drivers that have changed recently was a resent update to the latest Nvidia game ready driver.

Thread abort is not supported on this platform.

App:     Big Box
Version: 11.6
Type:    System.PlatformNotSupportedException
Site:    Void Abort()
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.Threading.Thread.Abort()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Audio.SoundManager.KillDeviceReleaseThread()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.MenuActions.ExitMenuAction.OnEnter()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnExit()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.HandleKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.Views.MainView.rLQPSlSBOK(Object  , KeyEventArgs  )
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.OnPreprocessMessage(Object param)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

4:50:00 PM Exception

Edited by ItchyRobot

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@MrSco We fixed a number of things for the 11.7 release that I'm betting will likely fix your issue, but it's hard to say for certain.

Unfortunately it’s still crashing Just the same. About four times since I updated in the span of 24 hours. 

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, soulstoner said:

I'm getting Faulting module path: F:\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\VLC\x64\plugins\video_chroma\libswscale_plugin.dll crashes every few hours running idle in attract mode with BigBox.  This has been happening for months.

Well, at least we know the source of the error in that case (VLC's plugin there). Can you try switching your video playback engine to Windows Media Player in your Big Box settings to see if that resolves the crash for you?

This is the first time I'm hearing about that in particular. Who knows though, maybe it's a lead for MrSco as well.

58 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Well, at least we know the source of the error in that case (VLC's plugin there). Can you try switching your video playback engine to Windows Media Player in your Big Box settings to see if that resolves the crash for you?

This is the first time I'm hearing about that in particular. Who knows though, maybe it's a lead for MrSco as well.

I changed it to WMP and it crashed again overnight, showing VLC again as the faulting module... strange.

• Application: BigBox.exe
    CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.26901
    .NET Core Version: 3.1.6
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FF88A41CF19

• Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 11.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fb3100b
    Faulting module name: libavcodec_plugin.dll, version: 3.0.11.0, time stamp: 0xa720a698
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000a6cf19
    Faulting process id: 0x2264
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f6ca18227034
    Faulting application path: F:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
    Faulting module path: F:\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\VLC\x64\plugins\codec\libavcodec_plugin.dll
    Report Id: af24584d-f5bd-494c-b51e-49207c601667
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

10 minutes ago, soulstoner said:

I changed it to WMP and it crashed again overnight, showing VLC again as the faulting module... strange.

• Application: BigBox.exe
    CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.26901
    .NET Core Version: 3.1.6
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FF88A41CF19

• Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 11.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fb3100b
    Faulting module name: libavcodec_plugin.dll, version: 3.0.11.0, time stamp: 0xa720a698
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000a6cf19
    Faulting process id: 0x2264
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f6ca18227034
    Faulting application path: F:\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
    Faulting module path: F:\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\VLC\x64\plugins\codec\libavcodec_plugin.dll
    Report Id: af24584d-f5bd-494c-b51e-49207c601667

We do use VLC for music playback even when not using it for videos. It seems like somehow VLC is just not working properly on the machine. Do you have any music in your collection at all?

35 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We do use VLC for music playback even when not using it for videos. It seems like somehow VLC is just not working properly on the machine. Do you have any music in your collection at all?

I don’t use the music feature, no. I just installed VLC stand-alone on the machine (although I’m sure that will have nothing to do with it)

21 minutes ago, soulstoner said:

I don’t use the music feature, no. I just installed VLC stand-alone on the machine (although I’m sure that will have nothing to do with it)

Strange. I assume you're on Windows 10? What version? I haven't seen this situation elsewhere, so it's probably going to be difficult to pinpoint. Here's a list of things to try (if you haven't already):

• Reboot (this one's easy and important)
  • Check for Windows updates
  • Try uninstalling and reinstalling (or updating) your video drivers
  • Try closing any and all background applications (especially any anti-virus or security software that might be interfering)

Adding my event log for analysis. Purpose-built for a cab, Win10 x64. No other apps or usage. Just LaunchBox+BigBox, MAME and Retroarch. I haven't installed any other video players, etc. Video drivers were already up to date from the manufacturer. Crashes to desktop within an hour or so.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          1/30/2021 9:33:57 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ARCADE
Description:
Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 11.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fb3100b
Faulting module name: coreclr.dll, version: 4.700.20.26901, time stamp: 0x5ec48a29
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000004a4c7
Faulting process id: 0x237c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f7864632d69d
Faulting application path: C:\Users\LAUNCHBOX\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\3.1.6\coreclr.dll
Report Id: 5f663230-da5f-4cd8-871d-d3e20a2d77b9
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-01-31T05:33:57.1474479Z" />
    <EventRecordID>3505</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>ARCADE</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>BigBox.exe</Data>
    <Data>11.9.0.0</Data>
    <Data>5fb3100b</Data>
    <Data>coreclr.dll</Data>
    <Data>4.700.20.26901</Data>
    <Data>5ec48a29</Data>
    <Data>c00000fd</Data>
    <Data>000000000004a4c7</Data>
    <Data>237c</Data>
    <Data>01d6f7864632d69d</Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\LAUNCHBOX\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\3.1.6\coreclr.dll</Data>
    <Data>5f663230-da5f-4cd8-871d-d3e20a2d77b9</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

@megashub Were you having this issue with previous versions? What version did you have installed before updating to 11.9? I'm running some stability testing on 11.9 to make sure that we didn't introduce any new stability issues.

That error is a stack overflow error, which could be a programming error, or it could be that the hardware couldn't keep up. Could you give me details on your hardware and your Windows version?

41 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@megashub Were you having this issue with previous versions? What version did you have installed before updating to 11.9? I'm running some stability testing on 11.9 to make sure that we didn't introduce any new stability issues.

That error is a stack overflow error, which could be a programming error, or it could be that the hardware couldn't keep up. Could you give me details on your hardware and your Windows version?

I'm a recently new LB user, so I was running the stable version immediately preceding 11.9. I never let Attract Mode run for a prolonged period of time in the previous version, so I'm afraid I don't know if the problem existed then. What I can say is that the wheel spins erratically now, where before it used to spin smoothly.

Here's my hardware: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126141/intel-nuc-kit-nuc8i7hnk.html

Ram: 32GB DDR4 

HDD: 2x 500GB Samsung 970 m.2 SSDs

4 minutes ago, megashub said:

I'm a recently new LB user, so I was running the stable version immediately preceding 11.9. I never let Attract Mode run for a prolonged period of time in the previous version, so I'm afraid I don't know if the problem existed then. What I can say is that the wheel spins erratically now, where before it used to spin smoothly.

Here's my hardware: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126141/intel-nuc-kit-nuc8i7hnk.html

Ram: 32GB DDR4 

HDD: 2x 500GB Samsung 970 m.2 SSDs

1 minute ago, megashub said:

See also:

Odd; I'm guessing that the sporadic thing is also related to the stack overflow crash. I don't think it's related to the new version. I could be wrong, but it looks like a configuration issue somehow. Did you happen to change themes recently? What theme are you running there? Have you tried rebooting?

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Did you happen to change themes recently? What theme are you running there? Have you tried rebooting?

Not recently, no. That's an auto-populated Favorites playlist. Theme: AllNightLong (not customized). I'm still building my cab, so the machine is only powered up when I'm working on configuration or playing games. It's fully shutdown the rest of the time (not asleep). 

1 minute ago, megashub said:

Not recently, no. That's an auto-populated Favorites playlist. Theme: AllNightLong (not customized). I'm still building my cab, so the machine is only powered up when I'm working on configuration or playing games. It's fully shutdown the rest of the time (not asleep). 

Okay, it could be interference from a background app, or it could be some kind of stray controller as well. Unfortunately it's likely to take some troubleshooting work to get it figured out. I would start by disconnecting any controllers and closing any background apps to see if either of those happen to be the issue.

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, it could be interference from a background app, or it could be some kind of stray controller as well. Unfortunately it's likely to take some troubleshooting work to get it figured out. I would start by disconnecting any controllers and closing any background apps to see if either of those happen to be the issue.

No problem. I'm pretty patient, especially since I'm relatively new to the world of arcade building and frontends (though not at all new to the technology involved). Will I need to worry about Windows re-addressing my controllers when I plug them back in again later? 

19 minutes ago, megashub said:

No problem. I'm pretty patient, especially since I'm relatively new to the world of arcade building and frontends (though not at all new to the technology involved). Will I need to worry about Windows re-addressing my controllers when I plug them back in again later? 

That's not something I would worry about personally, but I'm not an expert enough on that subject to guarantee that it won't cause issues with any emulators. I do know it won't be an issue with LaunchBox or Big Box.