LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox is corrupt

retrogamer

It appears that your Launchbox\Data\Settings .xml file is corrupt; Launchbox can't continue. Please try restoring a backup of the file from the Backups folder inside of your Launchbox folder. Root element is missing. This didn't occur after no update. I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1.

11 minutes ago, retrogamer said:

It appears that your Launchbox\Data\Settings .xml file is corrupt; Launchbox can't continue. Please try restoring a backup of the file from the Backups folder inside of your Launchbox folder. Root element is missing. This didn't occur after no update. I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1.

Sounds like you force closed Launchbox while it was writing to the settings.xml. Go to Launchbox/Backups and sort by date, fine the newest settings.xml file, copy it and rename it to just settings.xml and move it to Launchbox/Data overwriting the currupted one when prompted.

7 minutes ago, retrogamer said:

Thats a Arcade backup, you want one called settings with a date, at least thats what you said in your original post. If you do not have any settings.xml backups you will have to delete your current one and let Launchbox recreate it. You wont lose your platforms/games, but any settings you changed from the defaults in the options will be reset to defaults.

3 minutes ago, retrogamer said:

I just deleted the settings .xml file in data folder and launchbox did not recreate it when I restarted it again. I'm pissed off. This is bs.

If you deleted it when Launchbox was closed, and you are saying it didnt recreate it, then THAT is bs. Launchbox will not start without that file, so you either didnt delete it, or more likely you are just trolling. Im weighing towards the second, and if you keep  it up you will get a vacation from the forums, if not a more severe warning.

4 minutes ago, retrogamer said:

I apologize for being so angry but I put a lot of work into this and to see it go down the drain. I was gonna do retro game reviews on youtube with this launchbox and now can't. I'm sorry forum folks but I'm mad and shouldn't take it out on you guys but I don't know what to do.

Well if the info you provided in your original post is correct then the advice both myself and @Retro808 both gave you is correct and will fix your issue if followed correctly.

5 minutes ago, retrogamer said:

I apologize for being so angry but I put a lot of work into this and to see it go down the drain. I was gonna do retro game reviews on youtube with this launchbox and now can't. I'm sorry forum folks but I'm mad and shouldn't take it out on you guys but I don't know what to do.

If you are going to come here and ask for help, then let people help. Pretty much the bulk of the users here know how much time and effort goes into emulation set-ups and cabinet builds. So how much time you may have put in is nothing new to anyone. If you are going to get so frustrated and just quit so quickly on those trying to help, well, that makes it harder for anyone to want to help. 

When you did the steps we told you was LB opened or closed? If it was not closed that is the issue. I just did the steps on 2 cabinets and it worked flawlessly. 

if he is getting a corrupted settings error I'm assuming he can't start the program so it had to be closed. If it isn't recreating the file that is not normal. I would try installing LB to a new folder then copy of your data folder and start the program if it shows your games then close it and copy over your images manuals videos and other relevant folders.

maybe im dumb. I don't know. I've got a lot going on in my life so many things are frustrating me honestly. I erased the settings xml in data and replaced it with the backup in backup folder. I went to copy the backup to the data folder and it just copied it so I erased the old xml settings file in data and renamed the settings file from the backup to settings. Is that correct?