LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone else have issues with new default view?

OKTrashPanda

I'm not sure if it's just me and my aging rig that is held together with duct tape, but the new default view seems to be causing me some problems.  Namely, it's taking anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds just to render the box view, and then scrolling up and town has a really brutal delay.  Like 2 seconds.  I suppose I could use an older theme but I do like to keep up.

8 minutes ago, strizzuth said:

I'm not sure if it's just me and my aging rig that is held together with duct tape, but the new default view seems to be causing me some problems.  Namely, it's taking anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds just to render the box view, and then scrolling up and town has a really brutal delay.  Like 2 seconds.  I suppose I could use an older theme but I do like to keep up.

What's your hardware look like @strizzuth?

The new theme is more demanding on hardware, but obviously the difference shouldn't be that extensive.

32 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I run a Ryzen 2700X with a 1080Ti and the performance hit is quite noticeable.

Scrolling performance is slightly less, yes, primarily due to the shadows that are rendered with the new view. However, taking 5 to 15 seconds to render the box view definitely should not be a thing. Maybe it's populating the image cache?

Same here, the scrolling on the new theme is stuttering and lagging on a relativly small system in my LB, tried it on Mame and it was a lot more noticable for me at least.

My machine is not upto date, but still performs relatively well, and my image folders are on an M.2 drive.

I just ran a test and it is indeed the shadows around the boxes that are slowing down the scrolling performance in the new theme. I like the shadows, so I don't want to just remove them from the default theme, but I can certainly upload a theme with the shadows removed for people who aren't happy with the performance.

I'm sorry Jason but this is the wrong way to go about fixing this issue.

I know that the free version has limitations but hurting the performance of free users is bad and at the same time to rub salt in the wound the "fix" is to pay for the premium license to change themes is just not right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I'm sorry Jason but this is the wrong way to go about fixing this issue.

I know that the free version has limitations but hurting the performance of free users is bad and at the same time to rub salt in the wound the "fix" is to pay for the premium license to change themes just not right.

You've certainly expressed your thoughts on this Monkus, and I know them well. Regardless, the sky is not falling.

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Could you put a toggle on the bottom bar for the blur and shadows like how there is a toggle there for game name text ? Let people decide quickly and easily which they want.

That seems like it would really clutter up the bottom bar. There isn't enough room for that on all screens. I would put in settings for it, but that would be a major job because we don't have theme-specific settings anywhere else, so that would have to be built. Regardless, just the fact that free users now have two themes available (which is new functionality, mind you) is a great addition.

So about the box views...  Caching the images is what's taking 15 seconds.  However, reopening an already cached platform often takes me around 5 seconds.  Clicking on a title causes a delay of about 3 seconds to load the background image as well.

My computer's specs are so weak as to be disregarded.  I'm running an i5-7500K @3.8 GHz and my graphics card is a Radeon HD 6570 (please don't make fun of me I'm too broke to upgrade it).