LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame not loading roms

Mrjoiner

Hi 

Firstly would just like to say that Launchbox is a fantastic front end and hopefully will be able to use it in my bartop arcade machine, i say hopefully because i am having a hard time getting Mame to run in Launchbox.

I have Mame 0.199 with a matching romset and every rom loads and runs perfectly outside Launchbox, but i just can not for the life of me get all of them to run in Launchbox, some do but the majority of them don't, I've scoured this forum and followed every suggestion but to no avail, I've tried this on two pc's now with the same results. i was hoping to replace my Raspberry pie 3 with this new PC build and Launchbox but at the minute it looks like i'll be sticking with the pie.

Can anybody shed any new light on this?

Thanks 

Just out of curiosity.  Where is your mame.ini file?  Is it located in the root of your mame folder, or in the ini folder?  If it's in the ini folder, try moving it to the root of your mame folder and see if that makes it work from within launchbox.  If the games work in mame, as you said they do, it's gotta be some little disconnect with LB and the setup/folder locations I would expect.

Thanks for the reply guys, every rom works in mame outside Launchbox and the ini file is in the root directory, so at a lose why it doesn't work in Launchbox, I did a clean install of windows, updated windows before i installed Launchbox but still the same problem.

Out of curiosity, can you screenshot, and paste into this thread, the edit page for 1941 from within launchbox?  Wondering if maybe when you imported the games into LB it made a clone the default file that it's trying to load, and that's missing files, while the parent would work properly.  When in the Mame UI you likely have it set to only show working roms, so loading from within that UI would load a working parent (maybe)?

Edited by CDBlue

9 hours ago, Mrjoiner said:

Hi 

Yes some games are working, 1941, 720 degrees, and ABC cop work, those I have quickly tried yet 1942, 1944 etc don't. 

That is really strange and not something I have seen before when using a matching emulator and rom set and its all working outside of LB.

If it all works outside and some games are working inside then all games should be working in Launchbox as well.

Sorry for the late reply, don't get much time to mess around with this due to work commitments. So i deleted everything and started again from scratch, with a fresh install of Launchbox 10.9. I'll explain my setup a bit better to see if that sheds any more light on the problem. I have my main C drive which has 2 partitions, C for Windows and D for Launchbox. I then have an external usb 3 hdd which has all my roms on it. When i imported the roms i kept them on the usb drive and i left the settings as recommended by Launchbox to create the lists for the Arcade Category, i.e. Capcom classics etc. And again the same thing is happening some are launching and some aren't, what i have found out is that if i double click a game, take 1941 as an example then it wont play, but if i right click on it there is a list of different revisions of the same game and one of those does work, but this doesn't work on every Rom with different revisions and some haven't got any revisions at all.

Thanks for your help guys

yeah, to me I would say it still sounds like a parent/clone thing as I mentioned above.  I would assume that it works from in Mame's UI because that is likely set to only show working roms (as it scans your rom folders and figures out which files are all there to make roms work, and will not show roms that don't have all the files needed).  But importing into LB will import all roms, regardless if they have all the files needed to make them work or not... and it seems like some of those don't have all the files needed.  The only thing I can suggest is to check to make sure you have a complete rom set, including all the bios, chd, sample files, etc. needed for all those roms to work (parents and clones).

Edited by CDBlue

So it looks like I've got to the bottom of it, your suggestion CDBlue got me on the right path, i looked at the edit page for the roms that aren't working, checked the Rom name and checked my Rom folder and the Rom isn't there, that's why they aren't playing. What i can't understand, is when i imported the Roms, Launchbox parsed the files so i thought it would just have imported the games that were in the folder, not games that aren't there!

Right I understand now, i just assumed that when it says parsing files it is checking which roms you have and imports only those roms, not the complete full set. So in future it is better to just import roms and not mame full set if you don't actually have a full set.