LaunchBox Community Forums

Having game names like Puck-man and Gryzor instead of Pac-Man and Contra

Whistler NL

Hi Guys,

I did a new import of the latest Mame arcade rom set and now I have pac-man listed as puck-man and contra listed as Gryzor and I'm sure others will have alternate names as well. How can I fix this? Has this anything to do with region priority in the import manager? I think I picked World this time instead of North-America but not sure... Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks

Kevin

Edited by Whistler NL

Yes I'm pretty sure that your decision to choose World is the reason you are seeing those results. Try running the importer again with the correct options and see if it changes if not delete the games from LB and reimport. All the media you downloaded for the games should still be there so during the import adjust the media portion not to download media again.

26 minutes ago, Whistler NL said:

Hi Guys,

I did a new import of the latest Mame arcade rom set and now I have pac-man listed as puck-man and contra listed as Gryzor and I'm sure others will have alternate names as well. How can I fix this? Has this anything to do with region priority in the import manager? I think I picked World this time instead of North-America but not sure... Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks

Kevin

6 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Yes I'm pretty sure that your decision to choose World is the reason you are seeing those results. Try running the importer again with the correct options and see if it changes if not delete the games from LB and reimport. All the media you downloaded for the games should still be there so during the import adjust the media portion not to download media again.

Yup, region specified at import funnily enough effects the import process as to what regions are imported. Who wulda thought? ;)

Lagniappe: 

"And of course, the game was originally called Puck-Man, but the name was changed for America because someone might vandalize the “P” and turn it into an “F.” Yes, the U.S. subsidiary said that that would be bad. We wondered, what should we do? And decided to change it to “Pac.” Then, after the American version came out with the “Pac” spelling, we used that for the entire world."

1 minute ago, fromlostdays said:

Lagniappe: 

"And of course, the game was originally called Puck-Man, but the name was changed for America because someone might vandalize the “P” and turn it into an “F.” Yes, the U.S. subsidiary said that that would be bad. We wondered, what should we do? And decided to change it to “Pac.” Then, after the American version came out with the “Pac” spelling, we used that for the entire world."

Fuc pacman. :) 

• Haha 1

After re-import fuc uh puck-man ? changed back to pac-man but Contra still remains Gryzor. I thought the game was also released in the US under the name Contra, guess not...

Would be awesome if you could change the region of a game in LB and it would automatically update the info such as name and pictures :)

You can (you're not changing the reigion directly, you're changing the Launchbox ID number). Right click on the game, and click "Edit". In the top of the window you should see a launchbox ID number in blue. X that number out, and that space will turn into a button called "Search for Metadata". It will search according to the title. I just tried it, you should be able to delete the title Gryzor and change it to "Contra" and select the contra arcade. That will give it a new Launchbox ID number, which is the number that tells LB which media to download, so you can then go to the bottom of the edit page where it says download media. You might want to delete the other media first. :)

Edited by fromlostdays
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fromlostdays said:

You can (you're not changing the reigion directly, you're changing the Launchbox ID number). Right click on the game, and click "Edit". In the top of the window you should see a launchbox ID number in blue. X that number out, and that space will turn into a button called "Search for Metadata". It will search according to the title. I just tried it, you should be able to delete the title Gryzor and change it to "Contra" and select the contra arcade. That will give it a new Launchbox ID number, which is the number that tells LB which media to download, so you can then go to the bottom of the edit page where it says download media. You might want to delete the other media first. :)

Cool! Thanks for the tip! I didn't know it could be done like this, will try it out asap.