LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.33 Released

Jason Carr

I just uploaded version 0.33 to the Play Store with the following:

• Added support for over 50 new emulators!
  • Custom emulators are now supported, if you have the correct metadata for them (package name, activity name, and ROM path key)
  • Fixed issues with imports on a few platforms with incorrect platform names that don't exist on the LaunchBox Games Database
  • Added the Sammy Atomiswave platform

Some of these were already in the 0.32 release, but 0.32 was only released to beta. Thanks to the community we've found and fixed some bugs in the 0.32 release, so 0.33 is going out to everyone with the fixes in place, as well as a new Sammy Atomiswave platform. :)

As always, it's not available quite yet because Google takes a few hours to make the update live. I'll update this thread when it goes live in a few hours.

• Like 1

By the Way, I have a Big problem. I have on my PC about 1Tb roms. But when I want to export to Android just a few roms, launchbox creates a folder with the roms that I selected, but if I select other roms, from some other system, when it finishes importing those roms, I realize that the previous roms were deleted.

PD, Sorry for my bad english.

14 hours ago, zmuzkiz said:

Hi, I Can't find the compatiblity list for android (New Emulators). Thanks. Your are the best

I don't have a complete list anywhere, but each platform will list compatible emulators that work with that platform.

14 hours ago, zmuzkiz said:

By the Way, I have a Big problem. I have on my PC about 1Tb roms. But when I want to export to Android just a few roms, launchbox creates a folder with the roms that I selected, but if I select other roms, from some other system, when it finishes importing those roms, I realize that the previous roms were deleted.

PD, Sorry for my bad english.

Yes, the desktop export process will only export one system at a time, and removes things that were previously in the export folder. You can just copy the exported folder over to your device before exporting again. Otherwise, the on-Android importer works well now as well.

12 minutes ago, triggerthehorizon said:

I am getting problems on Nvidia Shield using this version. When I try to navigate the GUI, the cursor refuses to go go down to the next option, it flickers right back up. I get this no matter what controller I use and I tried rebooting the shield

I just tested 0.33 on my Shield TV with a couple different controllers and I'm not seeing that issue. Maybe there's a stray connected controller somewhere that's forcing the navigation down? Check any connected devices and check for BlueTooth devices that could be causing the issue.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:34 PM, Wickerman1972 said:

Curious if you're able to get Picodrive on Android Retroarch to run even regular 32X games because it hasn't been working for me. Doesn't matter if I launch from LB or Retroarch itself.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, Wickerman1972 said:

Hmm, the Picodrive core is loading up Genesis and Sega CD games for me but 32X games just crash out instantly. I'm using a no-intro romset where the files have a .32x suffix and they are zipped.  Don't know if it just doesn't like these roms or what. Tried loading em zipped, unzipped, doesn't matter.

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I don't have a complete list anywhere, but each platform will list compatible emulators that work with that platform.

Yes, the desktop export process will only export one system at a time, and removes things that were previously in the export folder. You can just copy the exported folder over to your device before exporting again. Otherwise, the on-Android importer works well now as well.

I just tested 0.33 on my Shield TV with a couple different controllers and I'm not seeing that issue. Maybe there's a stray connected controller somewhere that's forcing the navigation down? Check any connected devices and check for BlueTooth devices that could be causing the issue.

The problem is intermittant and is only affecting Launchbox, no other apps are having this navigation problem when it occurs with Launchbox. I have anoter shield in the basement but the controller I use with it is not paired with anything else.

not sure where else to ask this, but would it be possible to set it up where if we connect a bluetooth device launchbox would open, as well as if we press a certain key combination like start and select at the same time. lime maybe adding a setting we can enable/disable that activates a listener for this

On 1/18/2020 at 9:48 AM, triggerthehorizon said:

The problem is intermittant and is only affecting Launchbox, no other apps are having this navigation problem when it occurs with Launchbox. I have anoter shield in the basement but the controller I use with it is not paired with anything else.

The only other thing that I can think of here would be a faulty controller. I have seen this in the past with other users of the Shield, and the reason why it wasn't an issue with other apps was because we are using the right stick for navigation. I have the exact same setup and can't replicate it otherwise, so I am fairly certain it's not an issue with the app itself. You might try swapping controllers between the two Shields to see if that is actually the issue, or disconnecting your Shield controller and using an Xbox One controller.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, XmemphistoX said:

Is there a way to save the setting that extracts ROMs?  I'd like to turn it off but it defaults to always extract every time I launch launchbox.

I think we may have a bug that I haven't yet followed up on where the setting doesn't load up properly when you open the emulator settings screen. If you open the screen, turn it off, and then back out, it should at least save it until you open up the emulator settings again.

On 1/18/2020 at 7:34 PM, Cruz1214 said:

not sure where else to ask this, but would it be possible to set it up where if we connect a bluetooth device launchbox would open, as well as if we press a certain key combination like start and select at the same time. lime maybe adding a setting we can enable/disable that activates a listener for this

I've been thinking about this lately as well. Don't have a solution for it currently, but it is on my radar.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:55 PM, nearvanaman said:

Cosmetic issue. If I scroll down the platform list using a controller and then scroll back up to the first platform, it does not highlight that first platform (no platform is highlighted at this point). However if you click the select button, it does go to that platform's games list. 

I've noticed that recently as well. On my list. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 1:59 PM, Pilgore said:

When I launch an NDS game (with Drastic) through launchbox drastic just crashes it seems. So for now it's better if I launch it through Drastic directly.

Will look into this.

On 2/5/2020 at 6:32 AM, sinistron said:

Any updates for BigBox support on Android by chance?

We're working on it now. Will still be a bit, as it's a major undertaking.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, Gingerdilligaf said:

Will there be an option to manually add missing artwork?

Yup, full editing is coming soon. :)

Jason -

As always, I love your work.  I've been playing with Android emulation recently, and have circled around to launchbox as a frontend because it provides good cover support for my games library on Android in a central app.  I really like the idea of Windows <--> Android management, but I think there is some opportunity to improve the current experience.  In particular, the experience feels very transactional right now.  You can only export games to Android, but the Windows app maintains no awareness of games that you have selected for export, or an ability to manage that after executing a one-time export.  I would love to see the Windows app be able to allow for meta-data on games for which ones users would like to export and "sync", and which ones to maintain locally only.  Since my phone has much more limited storage comparatively, I cannot export all the games for all of my platforms.  Therefore, I would like to be able to easily manage this going forward and easily add and remove items from Android sync.

I hope you will consider!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, duerra said:

Jason -

As always, I love your work.  I've been playing with Android emulation recently, and have circled around to launchbox as a frontend because it provides good cover support for my games library on Android in a central app.  I really like the idea of Windows <--> Android management, but I think there is some opportunity to improve the current experience.  In particular, the experience feels very transactional right now.  You can only export games to Android, but the Windows app maintains no awareness of games that you have selected for export, or an ability to manage that after executing a one-time export.  I would love to see the Windows app be able to allow for meta-data on games for which ones users would like to export and "sync", and which ones to maintain locally only.  Since my phone has much more limited storage comparatively, I cannot export all the games for all of my platforms.  Therefore, I would like to be able to easily manage this going forward and easily add and remove items from Android sync.

I hope you will consider!  Thank you!

Thanks duerra, good to know. Sync between Android and Windows is very difficult due to the differences in emulator and ROM support between the platforms. It will probably be a long time before we ever get to a proper sync, but I know there are several users who would really love to see it.