LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Games Database Changes/Fixes Today

Jason Carr

Hey all, for the most part I think the LaunchBox Games Database has been running smoothly for a very long time now, but I've had an item on my list to step in and make a few changes/fixes for a long time, and I finally did it this morning. They're all minor fixes/changes, but I thought I'd update everyone, regardless. Here's a list of what all I did this morning for the DB:

• Added an option to clear out your default collection. This was needed because there was previously no way to empty out your default collection, so you couldn't start over (for example, when syncing your local collection to the cloud). You can now do it from the Manage Collections page: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/collection/manage
  • The above Manage Collections page received some minor usability improvements as well
  • Finally removed the little Alpha banner in the top right (lol, about time I'd say)
  • Fixed a few broken links
  • Fixed an issue where occasionally images that were marked for deletion (and approved) didn't end up getting deleted
  • Fixed an issue where occasionally alternate titles that were marked for deletion (and approved) didn't end up getting deleted
  • For both images and alternate titles, any images or titles that were previously approved for deletion but never actually deleted have now all been deleted successfully (so the backlog has been fixed up as well)

Please let me know if anyone sees any issues with the above. Thanks as always to everyone contributing to or moderating the DB. It's really grown to be an amazing asset to the community, and I think it's very quickly rising to be the best available resource for game metadata and images (if it isn't there already). :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Great stuff, thank you! This will definitely help making the DB even better and more accurate.

Unfortunately errors still occur, at least when dealing with alt names. For example here, trying to delete alt name Tetris (Bulletproof) (Japan) (Rev 2) and add a region to Tetris (Bulletproof) gives an error. From what I've experienced, it seems that the error pops up specifically when you change the Region field, not when you enter a new alt name without region.

Edit: seems that this only happens with some entries, just tested this one and got no errors. Maybe those older entries have something iffy going on?

Edited by Jakatsu

1 hour ago, Jakatsu said:

Great stuff, thank you! This will definitely help making the DB even better and more accurate.

Unfortunately errors still occur, at least when dealing with alt names. For example here, trying to delete alt name Tetris (Bulletproof) (Japan) (Rev 2) and add a region to Tetris (Bulletproof) gives an error. From what I've experienced, it seems that the error pops up specifically when you change the Region field, not when you enter a new alt name without region.

Edit: seems that this only happens with some entries, just tested this one and got no errors. Maybe those older entries have something iffy going on?

What errors are you seeing? What are the exact error messages?

• 1 year later...

@Jason Carr Database needs more love to reward all the tons of work of the contributors and moderators. We suffer a lot of misanderstandings due to the lack of some tags and options.

No fanart for 3D boxes, it triggers mixing between fan creations and real box 3d adaptations. People want to know exactly what are downloading, legit boxes or fancreations. We are regionally untagging the fan creations but is a workaround and some people tag them again as legit regional 3d boxes.

No fan tag for clear logos, same issue, some people upload westernized titles as regional ones and you end with a bunch of non real logos due to region prioritys.

No reconstructed tag for carts. A big problem because usable carts and eye candy are always reconstructed using standarized templates due to the curves of many cartridges, we tried ago to clasify reconstructed ones just as cards keeping the fancarts as something optional but some users instist on preservate dirty borrowed cards from diferent sources, without cleaning, lots of shadows, light dots, etc, we moved to fan tag but it also triggers the issue mentioned before, miixing bewteen real reconstructions and fan creations.

And adding game languages and translations was asked YEARS ago... and still unadressed. 

I know that coding databases could be a pain in the ass and maybe not your cup of tea, but think a little in all the hours expended correcting things manually or managing contribution work to provide the cleanest media batch without adressing it manually and the frustration that moderators and contributors are dealing with for years.

Please, i beg you, focus on the database for a few weeks or months.

Edited by Freestate
  • Like 1

The database could also do with image fields for cassette front and back media. At the moment uploaders tend to submit cassette images using the existing cart fields.
Splitting the current Box-3D image field to embrace front and back fields might also be welcome.

Unfortunately, since Vlansix left there is no database manager for development and improvement on a day to day basis.

• 6 months later...