LaunchBox Community Forums

NeoGeo vs NeoGeo CD

GamerMTL

Hi all,

Quick question. I already have a library of NeoGeo games setup in Launchbox. Most of them work great, so I'm happy with that. Have some that won't start, but then again, such is life.

Is it worth getting the NeoGeo CD titles, as they seem to be the same games, more or less. Is there an advantage to gaming quality or anything else.

Thank you!

From the googling I’ve done on the same subject, indications were the CD variants are more limited than the other versions overall.

I tend to only add games that are remarkable different but some like complete libraries of all systems. Which do you like? ?

edit: In all fairness, looking back at the articles I saved, comparison was real AES vs Real CD systems. So things like CD loading time not the same issue with emulation.

Edited by Headrush69
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GamerMTL said:

The NeoGeo CD files are huge comparative to the NeoGeo standard files. I figured the video rendering must be better? Somethings got to give! LOL!!

According to the Wikipedia, there are a few exclusives for the NeoGeo CD as well:

A few games which were unreleased in MVS and AES formats were also released exclusively for the Neo Geo CD. These include Ironclad: Tesshō Rusha (Chōtetsu Burikingā, BRIKIN'GER), Crossed Swords II, ZinTrick (Oshidashi Zintorikku), ADK World, Neo Geo CD Special, The King of Fighters '96 Neo Collection, Samurai Shodown RPG (Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidō Retsuden; an RPG spin-off of the Samurai Shodown series that was also released for the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn), and Idol-Mahjong Final Romance 2 (an arcade game which is not an MVS game, but was ported directly to the Neo Geo CD).

Edited by Headrush69
  • Thanks 1

There have been some comparison videos done. Though the few I have seen compare, when possible, video from real hardware. There are some slight graphic differences. In this video if you look at the characters Neo Geo CD seems to be zoomed out a bit so the characters look smaller.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GamerMTL said:

Can I ask what you guys are using for an emulator when it comes to NeoGeo CD. Currently I am using RetroArch for the standard NeoGeo. Not too many video tutorials out there on the Cd version. Thanks!

Both RA and Mame. I just recently set it up with Mame as I started messing with Mame Software lists.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, GamerMTL said:

Thanks i will give it try!! Does RA require any special text in the command line?

Try --subsystem neocd 

Just tested a few games myself but using MAME, think I'll just stick to MVS arcade versions. ?

Edit: Reading a thread over at Retroarch mentioned a late 2019 commit made the subsystem option unneeded. Maybe someone that uses this system and emulator for it can confirm?

Edit2: The new system for not using the Retroarch subsystem requires setting a core option and also maintaining rom directory in s specific set up.

Edited by Headrush69
Adjusted correct setting.
  • Thanks 1

See here for the subsystem flags beyond NeoGeo CD

https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/blob/master/src/burner/libretro/README.md

As noted above, for neocd this is the RA entry assuming you don't use the folder naming option and core setting option:

--subsystem neocd  

I have been using both but now use NeoCD core only when moved over to CHD formatted files.  NeoCD can open CHD whereas fbneo core cannot (was worked on but not complete).

• Thanks 1

Hi,

In this page http://neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/differences.htm you can see the diference between some NeoGeo AES/MVS and NeoGeo CD. The page is in french, but you can translate with google (I do this, i don't understand french).

Here http://neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/bonus.htm you can see the bonus itens that NeoGeo CD games have, french too.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 5:57 PM, Fabricio said:

Hi,

In this page http://neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/differences.htm you can see the diference between some NeoGeo AES/MVS and NeoGeo CD. The page is in french, but you can translate with google (I do this, i don't understand french).

Here http://neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/bonus.htm you can see the bonus itens that NeoGeo CD games have, french too.

All good, thank you very much! I actually speak French, so that works perfectly!!

• Like 1