LaunchBox Community Forums

Why do so many of my ROMs not work in MAME

tangodown

Hi all,

Why is that the only ROM I can get to work in my MAMEUI32 0.186 is Mortal Kombat 2

I have also tried the latest MAMEUI64 version but again only Mortal Kombat works. I have read that the rom version needs to match the MAME version, but how do I check.

For example I have got the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo zipped ROM in my ROMs folder but when I check in the MAME after re auditing it still doesn't show up as available.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should never download random MAME roms off of the internet for this exact reason. MAME and the roms themselves change over time, you cant just use a random rom with a random version of MAME as the emulator knows what files should be in the zip for that version, and if they dont match it wont work. Also many roms will need a "Parent" rom or a bios rom in order to work. Take your Street Fighter 2 Turbo as a example, you will also need the "Parent" Street Fighter 2 rom, as most of the actual game data is in the Parent, and only the differences are in the actual Street Fighter 2 Turbo game zip.

5a7129a38ba2a_MameSplitvsMergedvsNon-Merged.png.3f9d20a2d951b2000fd826bff2aec7f1.png

12 hours ago, tangodown said:

All those games at Archive . org but no Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

I checked a couple of other games, but it says "stream only" and I can't find any download button. How do you download them?

Then you may not be looking at the right thing.

Just go to archive site and search "mame roms" then look for a listing that shows "mame 0.220 roms (merged)" that one they only have a torrent to download from so click on show all and the torrent is in the list of zip files. Or choose the 0.219 one and that one has a direct download link.

If you really want to pick and choose, download from (link removed)

That's what I do anyway ?

As a general rule, just check the file size and go for the largest one

For Super Street Fighter II Turbo, the parent ROM would be the World 940223 version since it's 11.64MB in size while the other versions (clones) are significantly smaller.

I hope this helps.

Edited by neil9000
Do not share links to roms or bios files on these forums.

Thanks guys. I getting there. 

So I found "Files for MAME220RomsOnlyMerged" But there is no SSF2T or I'm still not quite in the right place.

See image below. I have not included the website, so hopefully admin don't remove it!

MCF, thanks for the link but it was removed. Maybe you could personal message me?

Screenshot (16).png

9 minutes ago, tangodown said:

Thanks guys. I getting there. 

So I found "Files for MAME220RomsOnlyMerged" But there is no SSF2T or I'm still not quite in the right place.

See image below. I have not included the website, so hopefully admin don't remove it!

MCF, thanks for the link but it was removed. Maybe you could personal message me?

Screenshot (16).png

image.thumb.png.a424ef759698f7f887c4064d4ae24f86.pngI wouldnt recommend picking out random games from a merged set you will likely be missing the bios files needed.

5a7129a38ba2a_MameSplitvsMergedvsNon-Merged.png.b40c2f838af353e4a1e12f4e086ecd26.png

Thanks Neil9000! I am close now. So I got the new mame .220 and I put ssf2t in roms folder. Then I launched mame and the game was there straight away, so I thought this is good! I haven't made it this far before with this game. But then I got error messages when I tried to run the game : (  Screenshots coming at ya.

Screenshot (17).png

Screenshot (18).png