LaunchBox Community Forums

Letting us choose which version of the game to use in BigBox mode?

Arcade1993

So I have been using Big Box on my MAME cabinet for quite some time now. I decided to enable the ability to see the file name of the game being launched. In this example, it's umk3.zip which is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. 

However, in my ROMs folder, I have 3 versions of UMK3. umk3.zip, umk3r10.zip , and umk3r11.zip

Since I have all 3 revisions, I would like to know if there is a way in BigBox mode where I change which version of UMK3 I want to play. Sometimes different revisions have cool glitches and such which might be fun to play once in a while. 

If anyone knows any way to do this, please let me know! :)

Edited by Arcade1993

3 hours ago, Arcade1993 said:

So I have been using Big Box on my MAME cabinet for quite some time now. I decided to enable the ability to see the file name of the game being launched. In this example, it's umk3.zip which is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. 

However, in my ROMs folder, I have 3 versions of UMK3. umk3.zip, umk3r10.zip , and umk3r11.zip

Since I have all 3 revisions, I would like to know if there is a way in BigBox mode where I change which version of UMK3 I want to play. Sometimes different revisions have cool glitches and such which might be fun to play once in a while. 

If anyone knows any way to do this, please let me know! :)

Combine the roms in Launchbox into one title. Then in either LB and BB you can choose the version. In BB in the game details screen you will see Additional Apps/Version option. Click it and it brings up the different versions.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 7.01.42 PM.png

17 minutes ago, Arcade1993 said:

Anyone? Please? :)

In LB ctrl + left click on the  "yourgamev.1" then ctrl + left click on version 2 of the game you want to combine, then right click on the game and there should be a option to combine the selected titles.

1 hour ago, Arcade1993 said:

Anyone? Please? :)

Apologies, I completely forgot I replied to you on this issue. What Mute654 advised is correct. If you imported both games and they show as individual games in LB just select both and right click then combine. During import you can also select the check box to combine games of the same name. So a couple ways.

Also afteer you have combined if you edit that combined game and click on the additional apps tab you can select which of the combined games show up as the default game.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Are your games already combined? If you right click the game in LB does it have multiple options to launch the game in the context menu?

Thanks for the reply!

I am not sure but here is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, which I have 3 versions of according to the files in my roms folder

VKkGob7.png

ZM2kq4w.png

Edited by Arcade1993

21 hours ago, DOS76 said:

When you imported your games did you check the option not to import clones as additional apps?

Thanks for the reply. I am guessing I probably told it not to import clones because I don't want Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles UK showing up instead of the American one. Is there a way to override that on a game-by-game basis?