LaunchBox Community Forums

Aimtrak light gun dual monitors win 10

Tackett1980

Did this ever get worked out?  I bought a aimtrak from a guy on eBay and I’m trying to get it to set up, but for some reason when I try to calibrate it, the cursor runs off to the top right of the marquee monitor and won’t calibrate correctly because of it.  

The only thing I see says to downgrade to win7 which is not an option.  It’s kind of crazy that a peripheral that’s this expensive has such issues with a semi modern OS. 

1 hour ago, Tackett1980 said:

Did this ever get worked out?  I bought a aimtrak from a guy on eBay and I’m trying to get it to set up, but for some reason when I try to calibrate it, the cursor runs off to the top right of the marquee monitor and won’t calibrate correctly because of it.  

The only thing I see says to downgrade to win7 which is not an option.  It’s kind of crazy that a peripheral that’s this expensive has such issues with a semi modern OS. 

I use a free tool called Dual Monitor Tools to keep my mice/lightgun to the main screen.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:07 PM, Headrush69 said:

I use a free tool called Dual Monitor Tools to keep my mice/lightgun to the main screen.

Ok I tried the utility and restricted the mouse to the current screen.

The calibration still is off and it will not calibrate correctly.  

is there no way to calibrate it manually?  I’m reading the manual but I don’t see it.  Man this thing is garbage.

1 minute ago, Tackett1980 said:

The calibration still is off and it will not calibrate correctly.  

is there no way to calibrate it manually?  I’m reading the manual but I don’t see it.  Man this thing is garbage.

Most games have calibration in game accessed via service buttons.

i don’t know what emulator you’re using, so can’t say exact steps.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:07 PM, Headrush69 said:

Ok, I’ve been working at this without any Luck.  I enabled the hotkey to keep the mouse on the main screen but the gun won’t calibrate correctly still. 

Could you kindly Let me know the specific settings you are using to make this work?

thank you.

3 hours ago, Tackett1980 said:

Ok, I’ve been working at this without any Luck.  I enabled the hotkey to keep the mouse on the main screen but the gun won’t calibrate correctly still. 

Could you kindly Let me know the specific settings you are using to make this work?

I didn't set a hotkey to turn it off or on.  In Dual Monitors -> Settings -> Cursor, all those hot keys are set to disabled. This restricts the mouse to the main screen by default. I have the Allow cursor to move freely if this key is pressed to Left Control Key. When I'm not in Big Box mode which displays the marquees on that second screen, I hold that key when dragging windows to the second monitor. 

Edited by Headrush69

2 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

I didn't set a hotkey to turn it off or on.  In Dual Monitors -> Settings -> Cursor, all those hot keys are set to disabled. This restricts the mouse to the main screen by default. I have the Allow cursor to move freely if this key is pressed to Left Control Key. When I'm not in Big Box mode which displays the marquees on that second screen, I hold that key when dragging windows to the second monitor. 

I followed this and was able to restrict the cursor to my primary monitor. However, when calibrating in AIMTRAK, the calibration still takes the entire resolution into account. This is evident when calibrating with the second monitor unplugged as the last calibration places the cursor in the middle of the screen towards the bottom. With the monitor plugged in and DMT running, the last calibration is off to the right just as it is without DMT running. 

How is your secondary monitor positioned relative to your primary?

When you calibrated with AIMTRAK, did your calibration steps go TOP LEFT, TOP RIGHT, BOTTOM CENTER?

Edited by igotdvds

This may be an issue with the Aimtrak calibration software possibly?

What happens if you do the calibration first without the second monitor attached?

My second screen is logically oriented above my main screen. Right now I am not using my Aimtrak, but my wiimotes. That’s why I thought it might be the calibration application itself. Might be worth contacting Andy at Ultimarc to see how it handles dual monitor setups. He is usually very helpful.

1 hour ago, Headrush69 said:

This may be an issue with the Aimtrak calibration software possibly?

What happens if you do the calibration first without the second monitor attached?

My second screen is logically oriented above my main screen. Right now I am not using my Aimtrak, but my wiimotes. That’s why I thought it might be the calibration application itself. Might be worth contacting Andy at Ultimarc to see how it handles dual monitor setups. He is usually very helpful.

He has reported previously that it was an issue with Windows 10 and 7 fixes it (ugh). 

If I unplug the monitor, it works, but plugging it back breaks it again. It seems the issue lies with the Aimtrak utility always recognizing the full resolution of the monitors combined. You cant limit it. 

On 5/6/2020 at 11:57 AM, igotdvds said:

He has reported previously that it was an issue with Windows 10 and 7 fixes it (ugh). 

If I unplug the monitor, it works, but plugging it back breaks it again. It seems the issue lies with the Aimtrak utility always recognizing the full resolution of the monitors combined. You cant limit it. 

I currently have this working with two aimtraks and two monitors in windows 10. I set this up some time ago but there are a few things i had to do in order to get the guns calibrated properly in mame, sega model 2, supermodel, and naomi.

**This will only work with both monitors enabled if you have the emulator in Fullscreen Exclusive mode on your primary monitor.  If your emulator is running in windowed mode you must disable your second monitor while playing the gun game. (for enabling and disabling monitors on the fly i use DisplayFusion command line)

** I run my primary monitor in windows on the right side and the marquee monitor on the left.  This seems to cause the least disruption for me.

1. You must disable your second monitor using display fusion(or some other utility) and then calibrate the guns using the aimtrak utility in windows on your primary monitor. Make sure your resolution you calibrate at is the same aspect ratio as your gun games.

2. After the guns are calibrated in windows. Open up Bigbox and configure displayfusion to disable the secondary monitor when launching the game (using addition apps) on startup and enable the monitor when you exit the game.

3. Once you are in game enter into the calibration screen (if the game has one) and calibrate your guns with the second monitor disabled.

4. After calibration in game, exit out of the game and restart bigbox/launchbox

5. Restart the same game with the second monitor enabled and see if everything is working properly with the guns calibrated.

For games in windowed mode you will always have to disable the secondary monitor in game which will lead to the bigbox marquee monitor minimized on the primary monitor when exiting the game.  To correct this issue i use Displayfusion "windows position profiles" via command line to save the windows position on each monitor before starting the game and restoring them after i exit the game.

*** In some cases I have found you have to also use display fusion to lock the mouse pointer to the primary monitor in which the game is being played on.  This sometimes depending on the emulator allows the gun accuracy to work properly without having to disable the second monitor. You must do this before starting the game.

**One thing i have found is i cannot run both 4x3 aspect ratio games and 16x9 aspect ratio games without going through the whole calibration process again or accuracy will be off.

Edited by twobucks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, twobucks said:

I currently have this working with two aimtraks and two monitors in windows 10. I set this up some time ago but there are a few things i had to do in order to get the guns calibrated properly in mame, sega model 2, supermodel, and naomi.

**This will only work with both monitors enabled if you have the emulator in Fullscreen Exclusive mode on your primary monitor.  If your emulator is running in windowed mode you must disable your second monitor while playing the gun game. (for enabling and disabling monitors on the fly i use DisplayFusion command line)

** I run my primary monitor in windows on the right side and the marquee monitor on the left.  This seems to cause the least disruption for me.

1. You must disable your second monitor using display fusion(or some other utility) and then calibrate the guns using the aimtrak utility in windows on your primary monitor. Make sure your resolution you calibrate at is the same aspect ratio as your gun games.

2. After the guns are calibrated in windows. Open up Bigbox and configure displayfusion to disable the secondary monitor when launching the game (using addition apps) on startup and enable the monitor when you exit the game.

3. Once you are in game enter into the calibration screen (if the game has one) and calibrate your guns with the second monitor disabled.

4. After calibration in game, exit out of the game and restart bigbox/launchbox

5. Restart the same game with the second monitor enabled and see if everything is working properly with the guns calibrated.

For games in windowed mode you will always have to disable the secondary monitor in game which will lead to the bigbox marquee monitor minimized on the primary monitor when exiting the game.  To correct this issue i use Displayfusion "windows position profiles" via command line to save the windows position on each monitor before starting the game and restoring them after i exit the game.

**One thing i have found is i cannot run both 4x3 aspect ratio games and 16x9 aspect ratio games without going through the whole calibration process again or accuracy will be off.

I will give this a go tonight. Thanks!

Just so I am clear, this allows you to run Mame and have the second monitor ENABLED if its fullscreen?

2 hours ago, igotdvds said:

I will give this a go tonight. Thanks!

Just so I am clear, this allows you to run Mame and have the second monitor ENABLED if its fullscreen?

Yes, in fullscreen exclusive mode (not windowed borderless).  I am using bgfx in my mame.ini config and this already assumes your guns work fine in mame on a single screen. you can also get a free trial of display fusion to try it out.

22 hours ago, twobucks said:

Yes, in fullscreen exclusive mode (not windowed borderless).  I am using bgfx in my mame.ini config and this already assumes your guns work fine in mame on a single screen. you can also get a free trial of display fusion to try it out.

After playing with this thing for literally hours trying to get it calibrated and working, I’m of the conclusion that these guns are hot garbage.  I even disconnected the second monitor and it still isn’t right.  I managed to get it working in a couple games, exited them, started them back and nothing was working again.

It literally took me about 1.5 hours to get it working in one..game.  It shouldn’t be that hard.  

anyone want to buy it?  PM me.  

47 minutes ago, Tackett1980 said:

After playing with this thing for literally hours trying to get it calibrated and working, I’m of the conclusion that these guns are hot garbage.  I even disconnected the second monitor and it still isn’t right.  I managed to get it working in a couple games, exited them, started them back and nothing was working again.

It literally took me about 1.5 hours to get it working in one..game.  It shouldn’t be that hard.  

anyone want to buy it?  PM me.  

yeah, if your having a problem with a single monitor and cannot get it calibrated properly then you need to get that sorted first.  I did have a problem with one of the camera's in my gun at one point and andy sent me a replacement.  I would contact andy from ultimarc and see if he can help you on calibration for a single monitor in windows 10. A single monitor in windows 10 shouldn't be problematic.  I will say that where you place the sensor bar does make a difference and you must stand at the same distance from the screen for it to stay calibrated.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:55 PM, twobucks said:

yeah, if your having a problem with a single monitor and cannot get it calibrated properly then you need to get that sorted first.  I did have a problem with one of the camera's in my gun at one point and andy sent me a replacement.  I would contact andy from ultimarc and see if he can help you on calibration for a single monitor in windows 10. A single monitor in windows 10 shouldn't be problematic.  I will say that where you place the sensor bar does make a difference and you must stand at the same distance from the screen for it to stay calibrated.

Thanks but I just think I’m done with it, it’s way too finicky and delicate to be useable.

• 6 months later...
On 5/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, Tackett1980 said:

Thanks but I just think I’m done with it, it’s way too finicky and delicate to be useable.

:) That give me courage...:) I feel your pain.  This hobby is not plug & play.

BTW, having same issue.  2 lightgun, mame, m2 emulator , 2 screens and calibration is not working if i keep the second monitor up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 9:31 PM, patrickfx said:

:) That give me courage...:) I feel your pain.  This hobby is not plug & play.

BTW, having same issue.  2 lightgun, mame, m2 emulator , 2 screens and calibration is not working if i keep the second monitor up!

When I setup the m2 emulator I disabled my second monitor before starting the game for the first time and then did the in game gun calibration.  After you finish the in game gun calibration save it and exit out of the game.  Then you can reenable the second monitor and try running it from launchbox/bigbox.  You also need to make sure you are not running in windowed mode for the model 2 emulator. 

**make sure the video aspect ratio is the same across all your emulators or you will need to recalibrate the aimtrak each time you switch between aspect ratios.

This is what my model 2 settings look like under emulator.ini

SoftwareVertexProcessing=0    

Wireframe=0            
FakeGouraud=0           
Bilinear=1           
Trilinear=0            
FilterTilemaps=0       
ForceManaged=0          
ForceSync=1
FullScreenWidth=1280
FullScreenHeight=960

AutoMip=0