LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a "lite" version of Launchbox that would run on a Pi or equivalent?

Johnny T

Hi all,

I'll confess I've done zero research on this so if you want to just yell "Go and Google it!!" then I'll take that as fair comment ?

I'm absolutely loving setting up my arcade cabinet with Bigbox / Retroarch and a couple of cheap xbox controllers and I started to wonder if it would be possible to bring all this gaming goodness into my living room?

I wouldn't want to run a full PC in the living room but wondered if there was a cheap (ish) "lite" version of a full PC / Bigbox installation that I could maybe put together and use with a wireless xbox controller to play some games through my main TV?

Originally I thought about an Android version but I have just read that the Android version of LB has been shelved due to the cost/complexity etc.

Are there any other implementations that people have come up with to enable this? 

Thanks ?

There is no lite version of LB that will work on a Pi or even lesser hardware. Some people use a streaming solution to play on their TV via either SteamLink Nvidia Shield Parsac ir Moonlight. There may be a few other solutions so sorry if I missed any of them. I have no experience with setting up or running any of those so unfortunately giving you the names of them is about all the help I can offer.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

I use Batocera on my Pi, which is great. 

Thanks for the info DV. Are you running LB/BB on that without issue then? How do you find gaming on the Pi? Are there games it simply won't run or runs poorly? Or is it quite a smooth experience?

I'm just trying to understand any limitations before I start spending money on any kit. My ideal would be to build a system that could play some PS 1 and 2 titles on my main TV using Retroarch as an emulator and BB as a front end.

But I would also be happy with just the All Killer No Filler MAME list if that would be too taxing for the Pi?

Thanks ?

Ahhh... okay. I thought you had a set up with a Pi with the last response. Apologies matey.

I don't really want a full size PC in my living room because of the noise etc. I might look at remoting the PC in the other room on to the TV or something along those lines but was also thinking a small form factor retro gaming box with a Pi or equivalent would make a good xmas prezzie  :)

2 hours ago, Johnny T said:

Ahhh... okay. I thought you had a set up with a Pi with the last response. Apologies matey.

I don't really want a full size PC in my living room because of the noise etc. I might look at remoting the PC in the other room on to the TV or something along those lines but was also thinking a small form factor retro gaming box with a Pi or equivalent would make a good xmas prezzie  :)

BB/LB wont run on a Pi, period. Although we are in the early stages of having BB/LB on Linux that is using Wine, which is sort of Windows emulation in a way, the Pi has no where near enough power for that. As for the Pi in general for the most part using a Pi specific frontend like Batocera, Lakka, Retropie etc are decent enough, but you are really only talking 8 and 16 bit systems, anything more will be hit and miss, or outright unplayable. Its a £35 single board computer after all, it's weak.

Thats not to kick it to hard as i quite like the Pi's but they were designed as cheap and weak hardware, and thats exactly what they are.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

Perhaps you could go with the new Odroid N2+, seems to handle emulation quite well. 

Check out ETA's video here: 

That looks awesome. Thanks for the video. That's just what I was looking for. Will do some more reading before pushing the button but it looks really good.

Thanks ?

Btw, if you're interested, I supported the campaign for the all new GMK NucBox on Indiegogo, might be interesting for emulation, as it's Windows based and can run LB/BB.  Campaign here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gmk-nucbox-most-powerful-palm-sized-4k-mini-pc?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bck-09302020update&utm_term=#/

CwrgG4W.jpg

ZHUopVX.jpg