LaunchBox Community Forums

Slow Metadata Download Speed

Wizardo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, virividiann1198 said:

I have "remove roughly..." unchecked and it still takes an entire second to download a single image. This means that for something like MAME, it could take literally weeks to download just 5-7 images per game.

One second a image is totally fine, Launchbox is making thousands of different requests for images, the fact that it can make a request, get a answer and then download that returned image in 1 second is good, especially as some images are rather large in size, like the image below that is 10mb. 

image.thumb.png.3949782fe4893c4cb726e8d64fa7b721.png

I think you are expecting way to much if you think one second is too long for a download, and remember you are not downloading one zipped pack of images here, each image is a seperate call to the database, and that obviously takes time and will depend on various factors of the internet totally beyond our control.

Fair enough. I'll take it you're telling the truth and I won't complain anymore about this, it's just that most people I talked they said that the download rates were "very fast" so I expected completing an entire 2000 games system in a couple minutes, tops. I guess not :( too bad.

Edited by virividiann1198

10 minutes ago, virividiann1198 said:

Fair enough. I'll take it you're telling the truth and I won't complain anymore about this, it's just that most people I talked they said that the download rates were "very fast" so I expected completing an entire 2000 games system in a couple minutes, tops. I guess not :( too bad.

Yeah I am not sure about 2000 games in a couple minutes. I have pretty decent speed here and 2000 games depending on how much media I am selecting (box, 3d box, marquee, banner, screen shots, videos, etc...) is definitely going to take more than a couple minutes. Maybe if I were only downloading a couple image types per game. Even then still could take a bit depending on file sizes.

Someone saying their rate is "very fast" does not really mean much. Very fast compared to what?

• Like 1

exactly, I didn't have a reference, so I assumed it was going to be relatively quick for the baseline things for a system (box, couple gameplay screenshots, logo).

Mind you or anyone tell me how much does it take for you guys to download an entire system with 500+ games and 5 images average? no videos or anything really heavy.

Edited by virividiann1198

2 hours ago, virividiann1198 said:

exactly, I didn't have a reference, so I assumed it was going to be relatively quick for the baseline things for a system (box, couple gameplay screenshots, logo).

Mind you or anyone tell me how much does it take for you guys to download an entire system with 500+ games and 5 images average? no videos or anything really heavy.

For Mame around 1300 games including videos and images from Emumovies could take up to one to two hours on 20Mbps excl. background images. I consider it fast for the amount of data being scraped.

OK I did a test. Just updated NEC Turbografx (300 games) and it took me 48 minutes. No videos, 4 images average. This means that if I would have to update your MAME set, it would take me 3.2 hours, again, without videos.

It's twice your average (1.5 hours)... which isn't bad at all and it means it would take at worst a couple days on my MAME collection (10K+ games), but there is indeed some discrepancy on the download times, specially if we consider I haven't downloaded any videos. I have 100 MB internet, BTW, so clearly the issue isn't speed.

1 hour ago, virividiann1198 said:

OK I did a test. Just updated NEC Turbografx (300 games) and it took me 48 minutes. No videos, 4 images average. This means that if I would have to update your MAME set, it would take me 3.2 hours, again, without videos.

It's twice your average (1.5 hours)... which isn't bad at all and it means it would take at worst a couple days on my MAME collection (10K+ games), but there is indeed some discrepancy on the download times, specially if we consider I haven't downloaded any videos. I have 100 MB internet, BTW, so clearly the issue isn't speed.

If I'm not mistaken your max speed download is 10Mbps then right? Is it cable or wireless? Mame import doesn't download media for 10k+ games more like 2500 to 3000 I think when you combine or skip clones and skip fruits etc. Anyway, if it takes too long for you you can just import games without media scraping and then download media for selected games afterwards, this way you have more control on how long your pc is scraping.

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue. "I'm getting (404) Session has expired. Please login.."

For me I start the process around 8pm and leave the process overnight. When I check it at 8am, I see 3000+ errors. All the same error as above.

LaunchBox code should be updated to see this, and re-login to the api. It is not something in the user's control.  PLEASE LaunchBox, pleeeeease fix this.

I'm on a 100Mbps connection, but in Australia, so international bandwidth will be a fraction of that. Not lucky enough to finish the entire process in an hour or so.

So I have been getting this now for 3 days in a row, for different rom sets I'm trying to import.

I forgot to mention I'm also a lifetime member of EmuMovies & LaunchBox, so it's not an account limit. It should be unlimited downloads & session time.

I've attached a screenshot of some of these errors below

EmuMoviesServerErrors.JPG

Edited by BiGDeV
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 7:36 PM, BiGDeV said:

I have the same issue. "I'm getting (404) Session has expired. Please login.."

For me I start the process around 8pm and leave the process overnight. When I check it at 8am, I see 3000+ errors. All the same error as above.

LaunchBox code should be updated to see this, and re-login to the api. It is not something in the user's control.  PLEASE LaunchBox, pleeeeease fix this.

I'm on a 100Mbps connection, but in Australia, so international bandwidth will be a fraction of that. Not lucky enough to finish the entire process in an hour or so.

So I have been getting this now for 3 days in a row, for different rom sets I'm trying to import.

I forgot to mention I'm also a lifetime member of EmuMovies & LaunchBox, so it's not an account limit. It should be unlimited downloads & session time.

I've attached a screenshot of some of these errors below

EmuMoviesServerErrors.JPG

I'm having these same issues.