LaunchBox Community Forums

ImageDupeGrouper has stopped working Launchbox error

jtravapd

Hello, I moved this post from the wrong area to this area in hopes someone can help me fix it.  It happens when importing roms, I will have to close the program "imageDupeGrouper" because of the error it has  stopped working.  It doesn't stop the process of importing roms though.  That will still continue, and maybe 30 minutes later I will get the same error message again.  I guess it restarts or something on its own.  I was thinking does this have something to do with launchboxes scraper?  

Does anyone know what this error is?  and possibly how i can fix it?  Im not out of disk space, i have 3  1TB M.2 nvme internal drives and 2 4tb USB3.0 SSD external drives, 32 gb ram, and not that it matters in this case but a i9-8950hk undervolted @ 4.2ghz, with a desktop gtx1080 (not the mobile light version). All drivers are up to date.  Also im connected using ethernet with a gigabyte connection.  Thats all the information I thought you could possibly need, other then that, i only have aida64 running in my taskbar, along with windows 10 virus protection.  I have no itunes installed on my computer, and I close afterburner and the xbox app before running launchbox.  Reason why Im giving you the software is maybe thats whats causing the issue.  Google hasn't been able to help me.

Does anyone have any idea what is could be?  Is it a setting in our options menu?  I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

1.jpg

launchboxsetup.JPG

@DOS76, that error is what caused me to lose half my launchbox setup.  I was in the middle of a update and that same error popped up, except normally when importing roms it just continues importing.  However , in the middle of a software update, the entire program shut down and when I restarted I had to "reinstall/import"  all these roms all over again

767 future pinball roms
100 turbo graphics 16 roms
60 turbo graphics 16 cd roms
120 3DO roms
1705 sony playstation roms
1020 PSP roms
650 Visual Pinball
106 fx3 tables

it took over 24hours of it running nonstop.  Seems excessive for 12 cores running @ 4.2ghz. On m.2 Nvme Drives.  Also I didn't move any roms, just kept them all in the same locations.  My only thought from a technical aspect, would be the downloading of all the artwork etc. that is what takes up the majority of the time, even on a wired gigabit connection. Is it possibly a timeout caused by whatever server we are scraping from?  Could that cause an error though? 

16 hours ago, jtravapd said:

Hello, I moved this post from the wrong area to this area in hopes someone can help me fix it.  It happens when importing roms, I will have to close the program "imageDupeGrouper" because of the error it has  stopped working.  It doesn't stop the process of importing roms though.  That will still continue, and maybe 30 minutes later I will get the same error message again.  I guess it restarts or something on its own.  I was thinking does this have something to do with launchboxes scraper?  

Does anyone know what this error is?  and possibly how i can fix it?  Im not out of disk space, i have 3  1TB M.2 nvme internal drives and 2 4tb USB3.0 SSD external drives, 32 gb ram, and not that it matters in this case but a i9-8950hk undervolted @ 4.2ghz, with a desktop gtx1080 (not the mobile light version). All drivers are up to date.  Also im connected using ethernet with a gigabyte connection.  Thats all the information I thought you could possibly need, other then that, i only have aida64 running in my taskbar, along with windows 10 virus protection.  I have no itunes installed on my computer, and I close afterburner and the xbox app before running launchbox.  Reason why Im giving you the software is maybe thats whats causing the issue.  Google hasn't been able to help me.

Does anyone have any idea what is could be?  Is it a setting in our options menu?  I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

1.jpg

launchboxsetup.JPG

Hi @jtravapd, that error is caused by the option to "Remove roughly-matched duplicate images (recommended)" shown on this screenshot below:

image.thumb.png.1910ad25d42603d38fc75fbc2dd8bf51.pngSo in theory, you should be able to uncheck that box and it should prevent it from happening. That said, I've never seen anyone have this issue before, so I'm not sure why it's a thing. Let me know if unchecking that box does indeed fix the issue.

15 hours ago, jtravapd said:

@DOS76, that error is what caused me to lose half my launchbox setup.  I was in the middle of a update and that same error popped up, except normally when importing roms it just continues importing.  However , in the middle of a software update, the entire program shut down and when I restarted I had to "reinstall/import"  all these roms all over again

767 future pinball roms
100 turbo graphics 16 roms
60 turbo graphics 16 cd roms
120 3DO roms
1705 sony playstation roms
1020 PSP roms
650 Visual Pinball
106 fx3 tables

it took over 24hours of it running nonstop.  Seems excessive for 12 cores running @ 4.2ghz. On m.2 Nvme Drives.  Also I didn't move any roms, just kept them all in the same locations.  My only thought from a technical aspect, would be the downloading of all the artwork etc. that is what takes up the majority of the time, even on a wired gigabit connection. Is it possibly a timeout caused by whatever server we are scraping from?  Could that cause an error though? 

There's no reason why the above error should ever cause you to lose half of your LaunchBox setup (in theory, that shouldn't be possible). Worst case scenario, you can always restore your data from a backup under the Tools menu. Backups are automatically made on startup and shutdown of LaunchBox. On top of that, media files shouldn't ever be just magically deleted in batch, even when an error occurs. I don't have details on exactly what happened here, but most likely you still have all the media that was downloaded, and you can restore all the games from a recent data backup.

15 hours ago, Retro808 said:

@jtravapd I am closing the other post you started for this same issue. There is no need for two thread for the same issue. In the future please keep related issues in the same thread. I am leaving this one since Dos tagged our two devs.

i clicked delete on the first thread i did when i posted originally because i realized it should have been posted here instead. At the top of the thread i clicked moderation actions, then delete before posting here.  Is that the correct way or does a moderator have to do it?   Another moderator and I were busting each others balls back and forth, nothing nasty, just clean fun, but the issue of fixing the problem got lost.  I then got a message i had a reply to the post i deleted.  weird.  no problem.   Thats why i came to this area for tech support.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Hi @jtravapd, that error is caused by the option to "Remove roughly-matched duplicate images (recommended)" shown on this screenshot below:

image.thumb.png.1910ad25d42603d38fc75fbc2dd8bf51.pngSo in theory, you should be able to uncheck that box and it should prevent it from happening. That said, I've never seen anyone have this issue before, so I'm not sure why it's a thing. Let me know if unchecking that box does indeed fix the issue.

thank you jason , i will try that immediately.  Thats also why i listed programs running on my system because something has to be interfering with it.  I will try and report back.  thank you for the help.  Do you recommend clicking the box that chooses emu over launchbox on the screen before?

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

There's no reason why the above error should ever cause you to lose half of your LaunchBox setup (in theory, that shouldn't be possible). Worst case scenario, you can always restore your data from a backup under the Tools menu. Backups are automatically made on startup and shutdown of LaunchBox. On top of that, media files shouldn't ever be just magically deleted in batch, even when an error occurs. I don't have details on exactly what happened here, but most likely you still have all the media that was downloaded, and you can restore all the games from a recent data backup.

i have all the backups you stated, but for whatever reason, including a manually backed up file half my platforms were missing and all the roms from inside launchbox.   A backup from september finally contained some of my platforms.  As you can see above i had a huge library but only arcade was left standing after it crashed during the update.  Does me being on WIndows 10 version 19041.546 have anything to do with causing launchbox issues?  

Edited by jtravapd

Also, i tried to delete that original post when i started this one here, I can still go back and read it through old links.  also tried to message neil to tell him i was breaking his balls after he called me lazy and impatient because i literally had to sit there for over 24 hours re-importing everything, but sarcasm doesn't come across in typed messages well.  

After sitting there and going back and forth importing system after system this summed it up perfectly. 

full retard.JPG

23 hours ago, jtravapd said:

thank you jason , i will try that immediately.  Thats also why i listed programs running on my system because something has to be interfering with it.  I will try and report back.  thank you for the help.  Do you recommend clicking the box that chooses emu over launchbox on the screen before?

Let us know if unchecking that box fixes the issue. Checking the box to prioritize EmuMovies shouldn't really have anything to do with the issue, so that's only if you prefer EmuMovies images over LaunchBox Games Database images.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I am having the same issue and this was the only post I saw that had this issue mentioned. I keep getting an error box that says "ImageDupeGrouper has stopped working".  This is while I am importing a MAME Full Set.  It opens about 4 or 5 of those error boxes and then stops.  But as soon as I click "Close the program" they come right back.  Also, not sure if it's related to anything, but I've gotten 2 errors so far sying that a file can't be downloaded because  it "Cannot create a file when that file already exists".  Please refer to my attached screenshot and let me know if there is any additional information you need.  Thank you.

ImageDupeGrouper.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2022 at 5:29 PM, Clutz450 said:

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I am having the same issue and this was the only post I saw that had this issue mentioned. I keep getting an error box that says "ImageDupeGrouper has stopped working".  This is while I am importing a MAME Full Set.  It opens about 4 or 5 of those error boxes and then stops.  But as soon as I click "Close the program" they come right back.  Also, not sure if it's related to anything, but I've gotten 2 errors so far sying that a file can't be downloaded because  it "Cannot create a file when that file already exists".  Please refer to my attached screenshot and let me know if there is any additional information you need.  Thank you.

ImageDupeGrouper.JPG

@Clutz450 Sorry for the late reply. We've heard about this issue on very rare occasions, but we have yet to figure out why it's happening. By chance, are you running LaunchBox as an administrator? Where is your media stored? Does that folder require administrator rights? The only other idea I have that could be causing the issue is some kind of group policy restriction caused by using LaunchBox on a work PC that is managed by your organization.

• 5 months later...