LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox resets my Mame controls

Elhora

Is there any reason why Launchbox alters my default.cfg file ?

I customized my controls under Mame, which are saved in the cfg/default.cfg file.   AS long as  i launch games directly from Mame, i have my controls working fine. But as soon as i launch an arcade game from Launchbox, my default.cfg file is altered and all the control refering to my pad are deleted. (Exemple :     "JOYCODE_2_DPADUP OR KEYCODE_UP"   becomes  "OR KEYCODE_UP" meaning i can't use my pad when using Launchbox ! :(

Any idea of what is going wrong ?

Edited by Elhora

7 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Are you sure you didn't start MAME at some point without your controller connected?

my pad is always connected to my computer (life is too short to loose 5 seconds plugin your usb pad ^^) I never unplug it. The file is altered only when i launch  Mame via Launchbox.

Edited by Elhora

1 hour ago, Elhora said:

my pad is always connected to my computer (life is too short to loose 5 seconds plugin your usb pad ^^) I never unplug it. The file is altered only when i launch  Mame via Launchbox.

Launchbox never touches files in emulators, it doesnt even now there are any configs to touch or where they even are. My guess is your controller number changes when you reboot your system, so what you set is no longer correct, if so this is a Windows issue, USB devises get numbers and ID's on the order they are detected at boot, which is different every time. As i said Launchbox doesnt even know those controller files are there, let alone how to alter them.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Launchbox never touches files in emulators, it doesnt even now there are any configs to touch or where they even are. My guess is your controller number changes when you reboot your system, so what you set is no longer correct, if so this is a Windows issue, USB devises get numbers and ID's on the order they are detected at boot, which is different every time. As i said Launchbox doesnt even know those controller files are there, let alone how to alter them.

This is what i don't understand.  I didn't reboot my computer....

What  i did is launch Mame and configure my Xbox 360 Controller.   I've played some mame games without problems. I Launched and closed  Mame emulator  4 or 5 times and the pad config is still ok (the default.cfg is ok). I closed Mame a last time and without rebooting immediately  launched  a game via Launchbox and then the  control no more configured (the default.cfg file is altered).

I repeated those step  and reconfigured Mame many times.  The problem only happens when i launch mame via Launchbox .....  Can it be a command line problem in Launchbox ? I never really knew what that command line should be.

47 minutes ago, Elhora said:

i use Mame (0.226)

what is the command line to use in Launchbox when i configure the emulator ? maybe the problem is here

You do not enter a command line at all. It is all coded behind the scene and all it does is send the rom name. That would not be the issue as it works fine and has been for years. Something else is disconnected. Any chance you have more than one Mame build and you have LB pointing to the wrong Mame one?

Launchbox is simply telling MAME which rom shortname to load, like sf2 for Street Fighter II for example. This is all it does, it doesnt even pass the actual rompath to mame, it just says hey MAME load sf2, and MAME finds that rom in the rompath you ttold MAME to look in for your roms, and loads it, as well as the config from the mame.ini or and per machine settings/controls you have set from the cfg folder. Launchbox does nothing more than say load this rom and MAME itself handles absolutely everything else.

Are you using mameUI and not standard MAME by any chance?

4 minutes ago, Elhora said:

no i use mame, but i have a -dinput in my command line (which i certainly took from a Youtube video  explaining how to use a dpad with mame and launchbox as i'm totally ignorant in all this) and that's why i was thinking that might cause trouble

Can you go to >Tools>Manage Emulators and edit Mame. Share a pic of the first tab from your Mame set-up.

You should not have needed to manually add anything. LB already adds what it needs when you select Mame as an emulator. What you added is likely the issue.

1 minute ago, Elhora said:

no i use mame, but i have a -dinput in my command line (which i certainly took from a Youtube video  explaining how to use a dpad with mame and launchbox as i'm totally ignorant in all this) and that's why i was thinking that might cause trouble

That could certainly be a issue, especially if you are using a xinput controller. Sending that command will force MAME to use dinput only i assume, so if thats not what your controller is then its not going to work.

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Can you go to >Tools>Manage Emulators and edit Mame. Share a pic of the first tab from your Mame set-up.

You should not have needed to manually add anything. LB already adds what it needs when you select Mame as an emulator. What you added is likely the issue.

Here is the screen capture.

Don't ask me what's that command line, i got it somewhere on the internet when i searched how to add mame in Launchbox with a working Xbox360 pad :)

827520125_Capturedcran2020-11-02201602.thumb.png.cb6e60b78e435105b0d542fcd404bc32.png

15 minutes ago, Elhora said:

yesssssssssssssss...............

that works !!!!!  i removed everything but the "keyboradprovider" part and the default.cfg part is no more altered !!

Good to hear. I agree with Neil, whatever tutorial you watched or read is definitely messing things up by having you add that command line piece.

Essentially what was happening here was you are using a xinput controller and setting the controls with that. You are then in Launchbox telling MAME to load with a config for a dinput controller, which of course you havent set up as your not using a dinput controller, hence no controls.

• Like 1