LaunchBox Community Forums

coming up with new ideas and working together the act creativity is all we need

EmperorCza

This is most certainly widely known but I just finally got around to converting to CHD for disk based collections (saturn, dreamcast, ps1) and though its a bit of work (there is a bat that works for bin/cue and gdi that will do your whole set but it does take a while) and I personally have a lot of space anyway the compression is strikingly good with no affect on gameplay. I recommend this.

Also dolphin now supports a compression method called RVZ that's pretty much the same story as above.

And if you're a retroarch fan, the flycast core, mednafen saturn and psx HW core all support CHD. (Probably more do those are just the ones I use)

Edited by fromlostdays

4 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

This is most certainly widely known but I just finally got around to converting to CHD for disk based collections (saturn, dreamcast, ps1) and though its a bit of work (there is a bat that works for bin/cue and gdi that will do your whole set but it does take a while) and I personally have a lot of space anyway the compression is strikingly good with no affect on gameplay. I recommend this.

Also dolphin now supports a compression method called RVZ that's pretty much the same story as above.

And if you're a retroarch fan, the flycast core, mednafen saturn and psx HW core all support CHD. (Probably more do those are just the ones I use)

Absolutely. I also converted to CHD. It's great, but it does take a while indeed. Also converted Wii and Gamecube games to RVZ. Unfortunately the dolphin retroarch core does not support RVZ files, yet. It's not too much of an issue, since I use dolphin standalone for wii games anyway, however I would like to use the retroarch core for gamecube games, because it would allow me to use bezels.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, SiriusVI said:

Absolutely. I also converted to CHD. It's great, but it does take a while indeed. Also converted Wii and Gamecube games to RVZ. Unfortunately the dolphin retroarch core does not support RVZ files, yet. It's not too much of an issue, since I use dolphin standalone for wii games anyway, however I would like to use the retroarch core for gamecube games, because it would allow me to use bezels.

For Gamecube you can use Dolphin emulator to convert them all to gcz format.

They are all compatible with Dolphin and RetroArch.

11 hours ago, zugswang said:

For Gamecube you can use Dolphin emulator to convert them all to gcz format.

They are all compatible with Dolphin and RetroArch.

That's right but I read that gcz format can cause errors in a few games. Besides, I've already converted the whole library to rvz, so I don't want to spend time converting everything to gcz again. Eventually retroarch will support rvz, I think. I'll just have to wait.

9 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

That's right but I read that gcz format can cause errors in a few games. Besides, I've already converted the whole library to rvz, so I don't want to spend time converting everything to gcz again. Eventually retroarch will support rvz, I think. I'll just have to wait.

Its also worth noting that Ishiiruka Dolphin doens't support .rvz yet if you use the fork for anything. However, with those compression numbers Im sure they are going to invest time in making it work. The Dolphin core MAY be a different story though, as I read they removed it from Retorarch? I'm not sure but they may have stopped working on it. 

10 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

Not in my experience, but same could be said for converting to chd,pbp etc

I find many games won't load after conversion, especially if the compression is too high.

1 hour ago, zugswang said:

I find many games won't load after conversion, especially if the compression is too high.

I have never read about chd, cso or rvz causing problems. But on the Dolphin forums people talk about the problems of gcz. I'm no expert, I just know what I've read somewhere online, haha.

14 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

I have never read about chd, cso or rvz causing problems. But on the Dolphin forums people talk about the problems of gcz. I'm no expert, I just know what I've read somewhere online, haha.

I have learnt from experience on both.

I would not take what you see online as gospel all of the time (though it's a good guide), it's usual just trial and error for most things.

Out of 100 games you will get 1 or 2 that won't load correctly, or will load and then crash after conversion.

Once put back to the original file it will play fine.

gcz files for Gamecube, I have yet to come across one that has had an issue, but I have not played them all.

14 hours ago, zugswang said:

I can't say I've tested 100s of CHDs to validate this or deny it but, it should be clarified that CHD compression is lossless. PBP is not lossless and I don't think theres any way to convert PBP files back to ISO. I would not use PBP.

If you ever run into a CHD game that won't load let me know. I'll certainly test to confirm.   

Edited by fromlostdays