LaunchBox Community Forums

Confused about out of the box MAME support

jajamelony

Honestly after spending 48 hours trying to get the automated MAME setup to work in Launchbox I think it is fair to say Launchbox does not support automatic MAME import/setup even though the function is there to do so. It does nothing except to scrape images for the ROMS....

I've tried twice now to import the entire MAME set with no success. The system goes through and scrapes all the images for 12+ hours (on a gigabit FIOS connection) and then when done NONE of the ROMS will launch. 

1 hour ago, jajamelony said:

. The system goes through and scrapes all the images for 12+ hours (on a gigabit FIOS connection) and then when done NONE of the ROMS will launch. 

lol, maybe do some research??

Nah thats a stupid thing to do, ill just complain on there forums and out myself as a complete moron instead.

9 hours ago, jajamelony said:

Honestly after spending 48 hours trying to get the automated MAME setup to work in Launchbox I think it is fair to say Launchbox does not support automatic MAME import/setup even though the function is there to do so. It does nothing except to scrape images for the ROMS....

I've tried twice now to import the entire MAME set with no success. The system goes through and scrapes all the images for 12+ hours (on a gigabit FIOS connection) and then when done NONE of the ROMS will launch. 

People say a bad workman blames his tools when someone says that something they have done is not of good quality because they did not have the correct things to do it with, to mean that it is really because they did not have enough skill.

14 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Nah thats a stupid thing to do, ill just complain on there forums and out myself as a complete moron instead.

Right, because when the interface says "import MAME full ROMSET" we should all know it is just importing the meta data. It is a bad choice of wording in the drop down menu. 

1 minute ago, jajamelony said:

Right, because when the interface says "import MAME full ROMSET" we should all know it is just importing the meta data. It is a bad choice of wording in the drop down menu. 

Providing you roms to download would be HUGELY illegal, which clearly isnt a good thing for a legitimate software company to be doing if it wants to stay a software company and not get sued into the ground by the likes of Nintendo, Sega, Sony as well as game publishers. No where on our website or in the program itself do we imply that we supply you with roms.

7 minutes ago, jajamelony said:

the interface; it is misleading. It should say "import MAME meta data" not import "MAME Full Romset".

Its not misleading at all, i have a full MAME romset, i want to import it into Launchbox, so i use the MAME fullset importer in order to make it look pretty and be easily accessible in one place. This is all Launchbox is, a launcher for files you already have, nothing more and nothing less.

15 hours ago, neil9000 said:

58 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Providing you roms to download would be HUGELY illegal, which clearly isnt a good thing for a legitimate software company to be doing if it wants to stay a software company and not get sued into the ground by the likes of Nintendo, Sega, Sony as well as game publishers. No where on our website or in the program itself do we imply that we supply you with roms.

Its not misleading at all, i have a full MAME romset, i want to import it into Launchbox, so i use the MAME fullset importer in order to make it look pretty and be easily accessible in one place. This is all Launchbox is, a launcher for files you already have, nothing more and nothing less.

No one ever said that ROMs should be included. The point is, for a new user the import function is misleading, specifically for the import FULL ROMSET verbiage. After importing of the FULL ROMSET you're unable to play any of the games until you configure the emulator separately - that is a 100% true statement.  Had the menu option said "Import MAME ROMSET metadata" we would not be having this conversation.

When I purchase my license I knew this was the front-end and if you look at my other posts I know very well how the system works. I don't know if the moderators here are employees of the software company making Launchbox, if you are, then perhaps you should listen to feedback instead of insinuating that someone is a moron. That is just rude and unprofessional.

Edited by jajamelony

31 minutes ago, jajamelony said:

No one ever said that ROMs should be included. The point is, for a new user the import function is misleading, specifically for the import FULL ROMSET verbiage. After importing of the FULL ROMSET you're unable to play any of the games until you configure the emulator separately - that is a 100% true statement.  Had the menu option said "Import MAME ROMSET metadata" we would not be having this conversation.

You're angry because if you buy a car you still can't drive before you take some drivers lessons. For things to work, you have to do them in the correct order you know.

31 minutes ago, jajamelony said:

When I purchase my license I knew this was the front-end and if you look at my other posts I know very well how the system works. I don't know if the moderators here are employees of the software company making Launchbox, if you are, then perhaps you should listen to feedback instead of insinuating that someone is a moron. That is just rude and unprofessional.

Honestly, you're coming across as a moron. Blaming the software and moderators for your failing to understand how something (obviously) works. If you don't know how something works, ask or do research instead of blaming others.

*Edit*

"Import FULL ROMSET" does exactly that. It imports a full set of mame roms into LaunchBox. Nowhere is that option called (or implied) "Play Full Romset"

Edited by Koroth

I disagree 

"Import MAME ROMSET metadata"

is more misleading than "import MAME Full Romset" 

Because when I use that option I dont import only metadata, but I am just working on a full set, choosing what to "import" in LB/BB. For example I can exclude some type of games

So, I am just importing a full set inside LB/BB.