LaunchBox Community Forums

LB & MAME Games Size!

RetroExecutioner

I own non-merged MAME Full Set of roms, i delete from HDD via LB a lot of them, bassicaly now i have only 395 of 1342 games, as we know non-merged roms have around 120GB size, my issue is why after i delete so many games only 10GB less is now from 120GB?

How can i delete to make it smaller? I tried also with split roms, the same thing after deleting in LB from 65GB i have 54GB.

Is there a way to make it smaller and delete the rest of them?

Edited by ExclusiveBox

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2021 at 4:26 PM, ExclusiveBox said:

I own non-merged MAME Full Set of roms, i delete from HDD via LB a lot of them,....

When you say you deleted from LB what exactly do you mean?

If you mean imported a full set into LB and then delete a lot of the games that were imported from within LB that does not delete all the other files and non-arcade games that are contained within a true full Mame rom set that LB never imports. So that is why you would still have a large chunk of data left in the actual rom folder. 

• 1 month later...

This will only work for your Arcade platform because you are using a non-merged set.

Select your platform then press Ctrl+A to select all games.

Tools, File Management, Export/Copy ROM Files from Selected Games to New Folder...

Read and follow the prompts.

When done, move the [remaining] files that are in the original location (/LaunchBox/Games/Arcade/ or wherever they actually are) to somewhere else. (aka, 'save' them in a different location for the time being until you're sure everything else works).

Now move the files from the folder you Exported to, into the 'original location'.

Test your Arcade games and make sure they all work.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It's okay, for 2 years i'm tring to find solution and always take everything from 0, so i am already imune on this stuff. This is what i found for 0.245, if you know a non merged 0.245 send me a link please. otherwise i will try with what i have.

Also, will be okay with split? or only with non merged set?

Edited by RetroExecutioner

On 3/12/2023 at 8:33 PM, JoeViking245 said:

This will only work for your Arcade platform because you are using a non-merged set.

Select your platform then press Ctrl+A to select all games.

Tools, File Management, Export/Copy ROM Files from Selected Games to New Folder...

Read and follow the prompts.

When done, move the [remaining] files that are in the original location (/LaunchBox/Games/Arcade/ or wherever they actually are) to somewhere else. (aka, 'save' them in a different location for the time being until you're sure everything else works).

Now move the files from the folder you Exported to, into the 'original location'.

Test your Arcade games and make sure they all work.

My God, what a mess, i just did what you said, exported the roms, but LB doens't see the games as full set, so i imported via ROMS in the tools settings of LB, and guess what, i setup the MAME emulator, everything and the games not working at all, not even boot. Any sugestions?

2 hours ago, RetroExecutioner said:

My God, what a mess, i just did what you said, exported the roms, but LB doens't see the games as full set, so i imported via ROMS in the tools settings of LB, and guess what, i setup the MAME emulator, everything and the games not working at all, not even boot. Any sugestions?

Are you able to launch Mame outside of LB and play a game?

If the answer is no that is your main issue. 

What could likely be the issue is you may not have Mame pointed to where you moved the roms. By default Mame expects your roms to be in the \Mame\Roms folder. If they are anywhere else you need to either manually edit the Mame ini file and correct the path or launch the Mame.exe (without a rom) and go i to the settings and add the new rom folder path. 

If the answer to my question is yes there is are LB setting we may need to check but lets see what your answer is first before we go further. 

• Like 1

I managed at the end more efficiently; basically, I copied the ROMs in the path of the old 135 GB non-merged ROMs, deleted the 135 GB folder, and then restored the time when I deleted all the games that I didn't need from LB. All the games are working correctly, and instead of 135 GB, I now have 5 GB, finally.

• Game On 1

• 2 weeks later...