LaunchBox Community Forums

Strange freezing on BigBox

Light Sock

On 4/1/2021 at 3:08 PM, Jason Carr said:

We've fixed a ton of stability issues in recent betas, so yes, it's possible that it was fixed. We also have a new beta coming out today that has some additional fixes.

Hi @Jason Carr, I just updated to the latest beta and the issue is still there. I wonder have you been able to reproduce the issue on your end? I can send you my theme so you could try and see by yourself. I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix.

Unfortunately we have not been able to replicate any freezing with CTC themes. We're able to test with both the themes demo and attract mode running for days without issues. However, some of the CTC themes are rather intensive, so it makes sense that they could be pushing systems and we could be running into things that we haven't found in testing. For those of you running into crashes, please enable debug logs in LaunchBox under Tools > Options > Debugging and attach one here that caused a freeze. Also, if you can, explain what you were doing at the time when it froze. That should help us to hopefully narrow it down.

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately we have not been able to replicate any freezing with CTC themes. We're able to test with both the themes demo and attract mode running for days without issues. However, some of the CTC themes are rather intensive, so it makes sense that they could be pushing systems and we could be running into things that we haven't found in testing. For those of you running into crashes, please enable debug logs in LaunchBox under Tools > Options > Debugging and attach one here that caused a freeze. Also, if you can, explain what you were doing at the time when it froze. That should help us to hopefully narrow it down.

I tried my theme on 3 different computers and it doesn't work on all of them. Strangely where it works the most bad is on the best computer who have a i9-9900k and 2080ti with 32gb of ram with a M.2 drive.

Trust me that if you download my theme you'll be able to replicate the issue.

https://we.tl/t-ku4jYkfVNl

Unfortunately we can't do error_logs because it's not crashing. It's only freezing.

Edited by G22

1 minute ago, G22 said:

I tried my theme on 3 different computers and it doesn't work on all of them. Strangely where it works the most bad is on the best computer who have a i9-9900k and 2080ti with 32gb of ram with a M.2 drive.

Trust me that if you download my theme you'll be able to replicate the issue.

https://we.tl/t-ku4jYkfVNl

Unfortunately we can't do error_logs because it's not crashing. It's only freezing.

The error logs are still useful to us. We do still need those error logs. I haven't tested with your theme, but I can do that here shortly. Still, please replicate the issue and send us the logs.

23 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Here's my log and I hope there's the needed information to solve the issue! It's really easy to replicate the issue, no matter what item I click or I go back the transition freeze. In this log it have froze around 4 times.

Debug 2021-04-05 02-20-40 PM.log

Hi, I made a log too, and recorded a video if it can help. It's COINOPS theme. It freezes on the view made with CTM when I want to switch view. But not with the default views. I wait a little on the video so you can see the freeze. To unlock, we don't see on the video, but I have to press on the window key 3 or 4 times, the start menu appears and it unlock the freeze. If I don't do that it's totally blocked, I can't do anything.

And it freezes when I come back to platform selection, but only when I am with gameviews made with CTM. If I'm with a default view, The come back on platform view doesn't freeze.

Thank you for your hard work.

Debug 2021-04-06 08-26-57 AM.log

Edited by gaialily

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

y2guru pushed out a new version of the theme creator that we believe should help with the locking and freezing you all are seeing. Could you update the creator and let us know if that resolves the issue for you?

Tested on 2 computers and everything is working so far without freezing anymore. Fingers crossed. Could we know exactly what was going on about this issue? Have something been removed in theme dev?

Thank you!

46 minutes ago, G22 said:

Tested on 2 computers and everything is working so far without freezing anymore. Fingers crossed. Could we know exactly what was going on about this issue? Have something been removed in theme dev?

Thank you!

Was bad code interaction between the creator controls and Big Box. No features have been removed to my knowledge. Just tweaked how they worked behind the scenes to keep both the creation tool and Big Box happy.

2 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Was bad code interaction between the creator controls and Big Box. No features have been removed to my knowledge. Just tweaked how they worked behind the scenes to keep both the creation tool and Big Box happy.

This makes sense! Thanks a lot for the input! Fingers crossed this will be all good by now! :)

• 2 weeks later...

i have been having this problem i guess because it keeps freezing randomly.

i tried the escape + windows key which kind works.

unless you tab to something else by mistake then it just stops reponding tho the background music still plays.

i am on the newest beta build.

the problem to me became noticible when i left bigbox scrolling the wheel in attract mode and the next day found it froze so i thought eh just restarting it would do good.

next thing i knew is that bigbox menu became unusable from the amount of freezing.

is there any fix for this?

thanks.

4 minutes ago, HappyGuy said:

i have been having this problem i guess because it keeps freezing randomly.

i tried the escape + windows key which kind works.

unless you tab to something else by mistake then it just stops reponding tho the background music still plays.

i am on the newest beta build.

the problem to me became noticible when i left bigbox scrolling the wheel in attract mode and the next day found it froze so i thought eh just restarting it would do good.

next thing i knew is that bigbox menu became unusable from the amount of freezing.

is there any fix for this?

thanks.

The version of Bigbox doesn't have anything to do with this matter. Still I find it better to be on the latest version.

You want to use a theme that have been originally created with the Community Theme Manager and UPDATED with Community Theme Manager version 1.0.8.99 and above.

The freezing wont happen anymore.

4 hours ago, G22 said:

The version of Bigbox doesn't have anything to do with this matter. Still I find it better to be on the latest version.

You want to use a theme that have been originally created with the Community Theme Manager and UPDATED with Community Theme Manager version 1.0.8.99 and above.

The freezing wont happen anymore.

ummm silly question but how do i know if its been made with the community theme manager ?