LaunchBox Community Forums

Strange freezing on BigBox

Light Sock

27 minutes ago, HappyGuy said:

ummm silly question but how do i know if its been made with the community theme manager ?

You're experiencing the bug so it's probably a theme from the Community Theme Manager. That being said you need an update from the theme dev.

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Perhaps we should clarify what theme is actually in use here before we start playing the blame game, at the moment all i see are assumptions. It's quite possible those assumptions are correct, but lets see. So @HappyGuy what theme are you using?

Yep, I was assuming he read the thread and that he's writing in this thread because he have the same freezing described here ?

8 minutes ago, HappyGuy said:

I am using retrotastic and coinops redux both downloaded with bigbox theme manager

I use retrotastic is my main theme for bigbox while using coinops redux as a wheel for games

Was afraid you were going to say something like that.

Can you download the latest versions of both themes from the forums and report back here if it helps.

I think they are both are up-to-date no?

I made sure they are both updated using the bigbox theme manager which matches the verision on the forum downloads section. 

retrotastic froze alot so now am testing coinops by leaving it on attract mode.

since most of the freezing happens when entering wheels and leaving.

ok coinops froze as well so now am just gonna try the forum ones + see if new themes have this problem or not

Edit: so I used the forum version of retrotastic and coinops redux and they both did not freeze at all which was kind weird since I thought it was the same as the bigbox downloaded themes.

but they both are working now but I felt like I had to do a little bit more testing so I downloaded the new theme pulse.

bigbox asked me if it wanted me to update it to the newest one (the theme that is) which is weird since I just downloaded it of the forums but nonetheless I updated it using the theme manager.

it worked really well and there does not seem to be a problem with It

then I tried using coverbox because I had not updated it yet which broke bigbox again.

I think @G22 is right about theme devs needing to update their themes to fix this.

Edited by HappyGuy

5 hours ago, HappyGuy said:

ok coinops froze as well so now am just gonna try the forum ones + see if new themes have this problem or not

Edit: so I used the forum version of retrotastic and coinops redux and they both did not freeze at all which was kind weird since I thought it was the same as the bigbox downloaded themes.

but they both are working now but I felt like I had to do a little bit more testing so I downloaded the new theme pulse.

bigbox asked me if it wanted me to update it to the newest one (the theme that is) which is weird since I just downloaded it of the forums but nonetheless I updated it using the theme manager.

it worked really well and there does not seem to be a problem with It

then I tried using coverbox because I had not updated it yet which broke bigbox again.

I think @G22 is right about theme devs needing to update their themes to fix this.

@HappyGuy, I may be able to shed some light into why you are seeing what you are seeing.

First to establish why you saw freezing: It is caused by themes created with the COMMUNITY Theme Creator that have views with a user defined video element, and was published before the current 1.0.8.99 version. Once a solution was identified, y2guru updated the creator to the new version. From there, the impacted themes would need to be re-published and uploaded to the forums/theme manager.

Since I created the Retrotastic theme, I can say that I uploaded a newer version to the forums that solves the freezing issue (along with a number of other changes), but I have yet to update the version within the Big Box Themes Manager, thus you would still see the freezing issue with that version from within Big Box. However, I should have the newer version within the Theme Manager at some point this week. 

As far as why the Theme Manager asked you to update the theme: The Theme Manager within Big Box doesn't know what version you are using if you download a theme from the forums, thus will always ask you to download its copy instead. This is why you saw what you saw. It doesn't actually mean that the Theme Manager's version is newer, just that it recognizes that it's different.

I'm curious about what you said about CoverBox. It's interesting in the sense that the theme has no current issues and was not created using the theme creator. If you do want to troubleshoot the coverbox issue, send me a PM.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, faeran said:

@HappyGuy, I may be able to shed some light into why you are seeing what you are seeing.

First to establish why you saw freezing: It is caused by themes created with the COMMUNITY Theme Creator that have views with a user defined video element, and was published before the current 1.0.8.99 version. Once a solution was identified, y2guru updated the creator to the new version. From there, the impacted themes would need to be re-published and uploaded to the forums/theme manager.

Since I created the Retrotastic theme, I can say that I uploaded a newer version to the forums that solves the freezing issue (along with a number of other changes), but I have yet to update the version within the Big Box Themes Manager, thus you would still see the freezing issue with that version from within Big Box. However, I should have the newer version within the Theme Manager at some point this week. 

As far as why the Theme Manager asked you to update the theme: The Theme Manager within Big Box doesn't know what version you are using if you download a theme from the forums, thus will always ask you to download its copy instead. This is why you saw what you saw. It doesn't actually mean that the Theme Manager's version is newer, just that it recognizes that it's different.

I'm curious about what you said about CoverBox. It's interesting in the sense that the theme has no current issues and was not created using the theme creator. If you do want to troubleshoot the coverbox issue, send me a PM.

Thank you so much for your reply. 

a lot of what you said helped me understand the problem at hand.

as for coverbox it turns out it was a different problem(it was my hard disk dying after a lot of use over the years which made me realize it was a different crash because it was not able to read one of the files that was 0 byte and undeletable).

also I just wanna say I really love your retrotastic theme but I noticed the forum version is missing the background theme for the platform(its hard for me to describe since English is not my native but I meant the background with the flag on it).

again thank you for your reply and the great theme ❤️

Relieved to realize that I'm not the only one with this freezing problem. 

Apart from that, I have long sought to resolve the problem by going to the side of the refresh rate. (Being going from a 60hz screen to 144 I was convinced that it could come from there)

despite several fresh reinstallation, and starting from zero, the problem reappears at one time or another and indeed the only solution is the windows key ...

Since 11.11 it is worse the sound intermixes and this mixture to form a mega shift and in the end an unrecoverable freeze,

I went back to 11.9 while waiting  :  /

3 minutes ago, PaDeMoNiuM said:

Relieved to realize that I'm not the only one with this freezing problem. 

Apart from that, I have long sought to resolve the problem by going to the side of the refresh rate. (Being going from a 60hz screen to 144 I was convinced that it could come from there)

despite several fresh reinstallation, and starting from zero, the problem reappears at one time or another and indeed the only solution is the windows key ...

Since 11.11 it is worse the sound intermixes and this mixture to form a mega shift and in the end an unrecoverable freeze,

I went back to 11.9 while waiting  :  /

Are you using the latest build of the Theme Creator (1.0.8.99)?

4 minutes ago, CMOSS said:

Are you using the latest build of the Theme Creator (1.0.8.99)?

I just installed it after reading this topic, does that solve the problem?