LaunchBox Community Forums

Zpevdo.b trojan in latest LB installer

Benjc

I’m trying to install LB 11.14 on a Windows 7 machine. Unfortunately, windows defender keeps reporting that there’s a Trojan in win32/zpevdo.b in the LB setup exe and the installation stops dead then.

Presuming this isn’t actually a virus in your latest exe, how do I get around this?

Those four could be false positives I suppose- there’s a fair few high profile vendors (Kaspersky, McAfee and BitDefender for example) who do not detect it as a virus. Would be good to get absolute confirmation (if such a thing is possible) before adding an exclusion to WD for this file however.

OK so this is detected for me too and referred to as a severe risk. As I have now let my protection software remove the infected file launchbox is now broken. To say I'm upset is an understatement. I've spent 4 days setting everything up. I have uninstalled launchbox but all my folders are still there. 

When this is sorted can I just install launchbox again? Will everything work or have I just waisted 4 days? It seems like a new install will overwrite everything but I just don't know. Maybe I shouldn't have uninstalled the software but the launchbox/core.dll was reported as infected. The recommendation was to have it completely removed. What a mess.

Has anybody got any advice?

Edited by iandmr

4 minutes ago, iandmr said:

OK so this is detected for me too and referred to as a severe risk. As I have now let my protection software remove the infected file launchbox is now broken. To say I'm upset is an understatement. I've spent 4 days setting everything up. I have uninstalled launchbox but all my folders are still there. 

When this is sorted can I just install launchbox again? Will everything work or have I just waisted 4 days? It seems like a new install will overwrite everything but I just don't know. Maybe I shouldn't have uninstalled the software but the launchbox/core.dll was reported as infected. The recommendation was to have it completely removed. What a mess.

Has anybody got any advice?

Goodness, I hope starting from scratch isn't the only solution.  I've got 35,000 titles.  It took me a week to set up Launchbox

I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but I'm in the same boat as you :(

Just trying to install 11.13 from my updates folder. It installs and launches but then when you try to launch it again after closing it automatically tries to install 11.14. If I say I don't want to install 11.14 it deleted the executable file/in the roll back. Maybe it is my complete lack of understanding of how all this works but I am feeling pretty fed up right now. I guess people with skills way above mine will get to this and save the day....I hope!

Edited by iandmr

For those that are interested I installed 11.13 then disabled automatic updates in the options. Then I can start launchbox 11.13 and everything seems to be still there. Phew. There may be some controller issues but I'm not too sure right now. I hope that helps others. I hope I've done this correctly whilst the 11.14 reported virus gets resolved!!

Don’t suppose anyone knows if there’s a way to download 11.13?

As an aside, I can’t help but feel in some way responsible for this- I’m one of those people who has a problem when stuff works fine for everyone else. I’m in no way surprised this software that everyone lauds as being quick and simple to set up developed a serious installation problem the very day I decided to install it for the first time :/

21 minutes ago, Benjc said:

Don’t suppose anyone knows if there’s a way to download 11.13?

As an aside, I can’t help but feel in some way responsible for this- I’m one of those people who has a problem when stuff works fine for everyone else. I’m in no way surprised this software that everyone lauds as being quick and simple to set up developed a serious installation problem the very day I decided to install it for the first time :/

This isn't your fault - This is something LB needs to address.

Chiming in that I ran into this exact same problem this morning. Symptoms:

1. LaunchBox will not launch.
  2. BigBox DOES launch.
  3. Windows flagged zpevdo.b and quarantined it, which affected functionality of Launchbox.dll.

I've rolled back to 11.12 from the Updates folder (11.13 was missing for me, oddly). Hope to hear some update on this soon!

Just got a response from LB support but there’s still a skeptical part of me hesitating running the installer unblocked:

“There is no virus in the 11.14 release; it's a false positive. I assume you're running Symantec/Norton anti-virus? Symantec is known for throwing false positives left and right and generally just being a terrible anti-virus solution.”

30 minutes ago, Benjc said:

Just got a response from LB support but there’s still a skeptical part of me hesitating running the installer unblocked:

“There is no virus in the 11.14 release; it's a false positive. I assume you're running Symantec/Norton anti-virus? Symantec is known for throwing false positives left and right and generally just being a terrible anti-virus solution.”

This is atrocious. Blaming a specific antivirus instead of providing information about why it's being flagged as a false report is the kind of thing that makes security-conscious users like myself run for the hills.

The way this is being handled deserves more attention, because that response is completely inappropriate and dismisses serious concerns with no justification for doing so.

15 minutes ago, zetec said:

This is atrocious. Blaming a specific antivirus instead of providing information about why it's being flagged as a false report is the kind of thing that makes security-conscious users like myself run for the hills.

The way this is being handled deserves more attention, because that response is completely inappropriate and dismisses serious concerns with no justification for doing so.

I agree! and at that its WINDOWS DEFENDER (the one they claim to use) thats flagging it as a virus. Blaming it on a antivirus thats embedded in windows 10 next? been hours and still no response im legit done with this mess.

Edited by joshchawks
  • Like 1