LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

2 minutes ago, RussellC said:

I am getting pretty high memory usage on lower end devices like the RP2+.  Is there any plans to optimize this for devices with 2gb or less of memory?

While i can't speak for Jason,but that's a pretty tall ask i feel. When you are throwing around multiple image types and possibly videos, while also having to actually run the underlying OS, then 2GB of RAM runs out real quick.

28 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

While i can't speak for Jason,but that's a pretty tall ask i feel. When you are throwing around multiple image types and possibly videos, while also having to actually run the underlying OS, then 2GB of RAM runs out real quick.

Ohh I hear ya. Just thought I’d ask. I’ve tried other launchers like reset collection that use 20% of the memory. Keep up the good work!

15 minutes ago, RussellC said:

Ohh I hear ya. Just thought I’d ask. I’ve tried other launchers like reset collection that use 20% of the memory. Keep up the good work!

Oh i'm not saying it cant be optimised, and as i said i'm in no way speaking for Jason here, just to the realities of running a OS and a image/database intensive program on such little RAM, there are of course going to be hard limits at some stage.

17 hours ago, commandernojj said:

Another consistent bug I'm noticing when doing a manual metadata search against the launchbox database, I have to run the search twice, the first time it always fails, second time it finds the game (unless it's just not there)

Can you clarify this? I haven't been able to reproduce it, but I have heard about it from a couple different people. I assume you're referring to Edit Metadata (on a game) > Search, correct? What does it do when it fails?

Generally, the memory usage is because of all of the large images we use for the various themes/views. We could probably get the memory usage down some by providing options for the cached images to be smaller. We're not actively targeting devices with as little as 2GB of RAM, though, admittedly. Those devices are definitely more lowend than we're shooting for. That said, we may offer more options for that kind of thing in the future, but it will probably be a bit.

LaunchBox for Android 1.2-beta-4 is out now with the following:

• Three themes are now included with the app: Alisia, BannerBox Lite, and The Grid

• Image downloads have now been limited to 2000 pixels wide and 2000 pixels tall, which will reduce media storage space requirements and increase performance and stability

• Fixed an issue where excessively large images (bigger than 4K) could crash the app on some devices

• Fixed an issue where the Sort Title field was not being used properly to sort the games in the games views

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Can you clarify this? I haven't been able to reproduce it, but I have heard about it from a couple different people. I assume you're referring to Edit Metadata (on a game) > Search, correct? What does it do when it fails?

Sure, I need to find out how to screen record off of the Odin as it would be easier to report things.

When you long press on a game that hasn't had a metadata match yet and hit edit metadata. Generally I'll first change the title to something that I believe the database will recognize, then I hit Launchbox Game Database under the search section and then hit search. It'll come up with a no results were found message, and if I back out of that screen and run that search a 2nd time if I have the title correct a match will come up instead of the no results message.

Edited by commandernojj
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Generally, the memory usage is because of all of the large images we use for the various themes/views. We could probably get the memory usage down some by providing options for the cached images to be smaller. We're not actively targeting devices with as little as 2GB of RAM, though, admittedly. Those devices are definitely more lowend than we're shooting for. That said, we may offer more options for that kind of thing in the future, but it will probably be a bit.

Thanks for the response. I figured this was the case. However, a lot of these standalone, cheap android based retro gaming devices are a bit lower end but really popular. Might be something to look at. I love the project! Installing the new beta now. Thank you. 

15 hours ago, commandernojj said:

Sure, I need to find out how to screen record off of the Odin as it would be easier to report things.

When you long press on a game that hasn't had a metadata match yet and hit edit metadata. Generally I'll first change the title to something that I believe the database will recognize, then I hit Launchbox Game Database under the search section and then hit search. It'll come up with a no results were found message, and if I back out of that screen and run that search a 2nd time if I have the title correct a match will come up instead of the no results message.

Sadly, I still can't seem to reproduce it with those steps. I'm guessing it's something specific to the Odin, or lower-end devices, or something like that. It's possible though that it was actually fixed in beta 4. Can you test to see if you can still reproduce it?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Sadly, I still can't seem to reproduce it with those steps. I'm guessing it's something specific to the Odin, or lower-end devices, or something like that. It's possible though that it was actually fixed in beta 4. Can you test to see if you can still reproduce it?

Well I'm happy to say after updating to the newest version pushed out I can't replicate the problem any longer, it was probably related to one of the fixed bugs. I even went and cleared out one of my systems that has quite a few games that won't match automatically and went and manually matched them all, first try each time. Good stuff! Super happy with the performance.

• Like 1

Alright, LaunchBox for Android 1.2-beta-5 is out now with the following:

• Loading up emulators should be slightly less jarring now (Android's launching animations have been disabled when launching emulators)

• RetroArch will no longer require you to complete exit the game before launching a new game

• Added support for the following new platforms: Amstrad GX4000, Capcom Play System, Capcom Play System II, Capcom Play System III, Commodore Amiga CD32, Nintendo Famicom Disk System, Nintendo Satellaview, Philips CD-i, Sega Naomi, Sega Naomi 2

• Fixed an issue where backing out of the metadata search page with a controller was backing completely out to the filters view

• Several improvements to the three built-in themes

Thank you all for the testing and support. We're hoping that this will be the release candidate for the 1.2 official release, which should hopefully go out early next week. Please let me know if anyone runs into any issues with this beta.

Also, please note, some improvements have been made to the built-in themes since the previous betas, and so they are updated in this release. However, in order for folks to be able to upgrade them in the future, we do not automatically replace your existing theme files. So you may want to delete your Themes folder (or at least the three built-in themes folders) from your LaunchBox folder in order to receive these theme updates.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:45 AM, Luis Fontes said:

Im having some issues when creating playlists for CPS system..it closes the LaunchBox when importing games...i tried diffreent config but withour sucess

6 hours ago, RooKie123 said:

I can't get scanned any of cps systems stuck on searching games.

What do your ROMs look like for the CPS games? Are they MAME-style? I'm gonna go ahead with the Android 1.2 release, and we'll probably have to get this fixed for a later beta.

They are full romset for FBA if I scan this wirh the arcade system works but with the new capcom systems do not scan. I think the problem is in system config. The new system naomi works like charm. I didn't probe any else.

• Like 1

It's good to see that the Commodore Amiga CD32 platform has been added. It would also be lovely if we could have Commodore CDTV and possibly Commodore Amiga 1200 as I like to keep the AGA games separate.

Keep the great work.

• Like 1

Question @Jason Carr, is it intentional that entries with the word "The" as the first word in the title for them to be sorted in the T letter section? 

My super nintendo Library is sorting them this way, I'll have to check the other libraries later on tonight to see if I'm seeing the same.

Edited by commandernojj
  • Like 1

LaunchBox for Android 1.3-beta-1 is out now with the following:

• The AetherSX2 emulator for Sony Playstation 2 is now fully supported and will launch games! However, you will need to open up the emulator first and let it scan your PS2 ROMs folder in order for it to have access to your ROMs.

• Added a new option to the MAME imports to skip games that require a CHD file; this is ideal for mobile devices because the CHD files increase the ROM set space requirements from 66 gigs to roughly 500 gigs, and only around 120 games actually require a CHD, so it's usually better to omit the CHDs for mobile devices that run MAME

• Games are now sorted more similarly to how they are in the desktop apps, ignoring articles like "The", "A", and "An"

• M3U playlists are now used for games with multiple discs (to allow for easy disc switching) when launching RetroArch with the following cores: duckstation, swanstation, mednafen_psx_hw, mednafen_psx

• Fixed errors importing Capcom Play System, Capcom Play System II, and Capcom Play System III

Thank you all for the feedback and testing. :)

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

LaunchBox for Android 1.3-beta-2 is out now with the following:

• Added a new option to "Quit RetroArch on Losing Focus" to the platform emulator settings; this option will help to ensure that new games will be launched properly even if a previous game is still running in RetroArch. However, it will also prevent games from resuming when the screen is turned off, if this setting is turned on.

• Fixed a crash when trying to download missing media with no connection

• Fixed the issue with AetherSX2 not working for Android versions 10 and earlier (not sure how early of a version AetherSX2 supports though)

Let us know if you run into any issues. We may be putting out a bug fix/quality of life official release here soon.