LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

For each of my platforms, where I have my roms, I have media already scraped in those subfolders.  I would love for Launchbox to be able to access that media, particularly to play those videos -- is there a way to set a media (at least video) folder per platform in order for it to locate my videos rather than having to copy them all into Launchbox's media folder? 

Edited by galewind

16 hours ago, galewind said:

For each of my platforms, where I have my roms, I have media already scraped in those subfolders.  I would love for Launchbox to be able to access that media, particularly to play those videos -- is there a way to set a media (at least video) folder per platform in order for it to locate my videos rather than having to copy them all into Launchbox's media folder? 

44 minutes ago, slydog43 said:

+1, I want it for all the media.  I hate having to rescrape my systems just for my Android devices.

Currently you can do this via the Export to Android process on the desktop. We can add ways in the future to pick up new media, but there's currently no reason why you have to re-scrape everything if you have a collection already on the desktop.

• Thanks 1

Hi. What is the difference between "The Grid - Boxes Grid" and "The Grid - BoxGrid"? The latter behaves identically to the former, except that it doesn't display an "in game" screenshot. So the latter feels like a broken version of the former. Is it supposed to be like this? I wonde if this is some junk that carried over from an earlier beta in my phone. Thoughts? Tks!!!

1 minute ago, Gustavo Oliva said:

Hi. What is the difference between "The Grid - Boxes Grid" and "The Grid - BoxGrid"? The latter behaves identically to the former, except that it doesn't display an "in game" screenshot. So the latter feels like a broken version of the former. Is it supposed to be like this? I wonde if this is some junk that carried over from an earlier beta in my phone. Thoughts? Tks!!!

It sounds like you have an old version of it from an early beta. You should just delete the theme folder for The Grid while LaunchBox is closed and it will replace it when you start it back up.

• Thanks 1

When exporting MS-DOS to android, it only exports the executable, not the root folder for the game. How can I get it to export the root folder? I'd hate to have to manually update the xml to point at a manually copied folder, I have 255 games for DOS. Is this a feature? Thank you!

Hi Jason, I'm glad to see that the development of the Android app is progressing so well. Very good work. Please keep it up.

What I would want to have is that Launchbox recognizes when an external drive (OTG or SD card) is not attached/available and hides the games that are located on that drive. That would be handy for Android handhelds that have not enough space and where you don't want to have an USB stick permanently attached or want to change the SD card.

I for example have a jailbroken Switch with Android installed. The android partition has not enaugh space for all of my games so I am using a USB stick that is attached to the Switch dock. When I take of the console the drive is not available any more.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:17 AM, frayleaf said:

When exporting MS-DOS to android, it only exports the executable, not the root folder for the game. How can I get it to export the root folder? I'd hate to have to manually update the xml to point at a manually copied folder, I have 255 games for DOS. Is this a feature? Thank you!

Unfortunately LaunchBox for Android doesn't support DOS games as of yet. It's on my short list to implement.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:44 AM, deliyuerek85 said:

Hi Jason, I'm glad to see that the development of the Android app is progressing so well. Very good work. Please keep it up.

What I would want to have is that Launchbox recognizes when an external drive (OTG or SD card) is not attached/available and hides the games that are located on that drive. That would be handy for Android handhelds that have not enough space and where you don't want to have an USB stick permanently attached or want to change the SD card.

I for example have a jailbroken Switch with Android installed. The android partition has not enaugh space for all of my games so I am using a USB stick that is attached to the Switch dock. When I take of the console the drive is not available any more.

Thanks for the request. It'll probably be a while before we get to stuff like that, but noted.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately LaunchBox for Android doesn't support DOS games as of yet. It's on my short list to implement.

Thanks for the request. It'll probably be a while before we get to stuff like that, but noted.

Ok thanks. But I think I will have to wait a very long time for that to be implemented. Because even the windows version has still not that feature if I am correct.

6 minutes ago, deliyuerek85 said:

Ok thanks. But I think I will have to wait a very long time for that to be implemented. Because even the windows version has still not that feature if I am correct.

It makes a lot less sense on Windows than on Android, but the priority will depend on the number of people who request it. I do believe you're the first.

33 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Ok, that's good to hear, thank you! Please remember that if the executable is longer than 8 characters, the command to open the file needs to be in quotes or else dosbox will throw an error. Not sure the exact syntax, though.

On 7/4/2022 at 6:11 PM, Gustavo Oliva said:

Hey, first time posting here. Love Launchbox. Also happy to see that Dex support is back, since that's my main use case.

Feature suggestion: have a "favorites" button to toggle favorite games on/off. I have tons of games, but just a few favorites. So this avoids loading tons of box arts unnecessarily. Another implementation option would be to add "Favorites" to the list of filters.

Hi Jason. Any thoughts on this feature? I think this is very aligned with the work that you've been doing in the latest releases. Tks!

3 minutes ago, Gustavo Oliva said:

Hi Jason. Any thoughts on this feature? I think this is very aligned with the work that you've been doing in the latest releases. Tks!

This might make it in eventually, but unfortunately it's likely to be fairly far down the list at this point, as you're the first to request it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:52 PM, SumTxDude said:

Bought the full licence a couple months ago and LB Android has worked great for me so far!

Suggestion or request.. Would like to have the ability to list the systems on the main home page in the order I want as apposed to alphabetical. Like by release such as NES, SNES, N64, Ect.. then all Sony, then all Sega etc. 

Great App.. Thanks again.

Back to the top...

20 minutes ago, SumTxDude said:

Back to the top...

Do not bump suggestions posts. More to the point beta testing threads are not for making suggestions. They are for posting troubleshooting feedback on current betas so the devs can see what is/is not working.

If you wish to make a feature request the proper channel is to use the "Request a Feature" link located at the top of the forum under "Help & Support".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Do not bump suggestions posts. More to the point beta testing threads are not for making suggestions. They are for posting troubleshooting feedback on current betas so the devs can see what is/is not working.

If you wish to make a feature request the proper channel is to use the "Request a Feature" link located at the top of the forum under "Help & Support".

10-4 got is boss... Sorry for the interruption. Please, carry on with your important nerd talk. My bad.

Problem with "extracting files" on Nividia Shield tested with several roms (PSP, 3DS, Gamecube, etc). My roms are sitting on a network drive, and they are compressed in .zip or .7zip when checking the option "extract files" it is very slow and sometimes hang, this does not occur with another frontend, so something is bugging the "extract files" procedure. In order to reproduce have a compressed rom on a network drive, it just hangs or takes minutes to extract. Gamecube or 3Ds are usually the buggy ones, PSP works after several minutes of waiting....

Thanks,

P.S: Note the green bar is just frozen in the picture...

3ds.jpg

Edited by oyehia

On 7/18/2022 at 3:15 PM, Vader said:

@Jason Carr Still waiting on a search by letter feature, hopefully it will be implimented soon.  Also I don't see a way to clear games from the last played section. That would be helpful, so the list doesn't grow out of hand.

thanks

We are planning on tackling alpha-numeric navigation here soon. The Last Played section is limited to 100 games.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:28 AM, oyehia said:

Problem with "extracting files" on Nividia Shield tested with several roms (PSP, 3DS, Gamecube, etc). My roms are sitting on a network drive, and they are compressed in .zip or .7zip when checking the option "extract files" it is very slow and sometimes hang, this does not occur with another frontend, so something is bugging the "extract files" procedure. In order to reproduce have a compressed rom on a network drive, it just hangs or takes minutes to extract. Gamecube or 3Ds are usually the buggy ones, PSP works after several minutes of waiting....

Thanks,

P.S: Note the green bar is just frozen in the picture...

3ds.jpg

There is a known issue with extracting files that are too large. It is not recommended currently to use compressed disc image files that need extracted on startup. Small ROMs will work fine, but larger ones will not currently.