LaunchBox Community Forums

Visual Pinball X + Bigbox ... a starters guide

ItchyRobot

I have a question regarding the vertical setup.    So in my vpin cab I have set big box to display on my playfield screen.  The issue is  bigbox won't display vertically on the screen with the orientation of the screen.      Any tips for getting that to display correctly?

ty

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2022 at 7:27 AM, Alumriel said:

FYI to anyone finding this thread - there is now an installer that does pretty much EVERYTHING for you (the "baller" installer):

https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=baller_installer

I don´t want to use Pinup Popper since in my usecase I will stick to single screen, landscape mode and want to simply import the bootup-files as games into Launchbox.

Does this baller installer create files ready to import into Launchbox to boot the tables right up?

4 hours ago, totoro said:

I don´t want to use Pinup Popper since in my usecase I will stick to single screen, landscape mode and want to simply import the bootup-files as games into Launchbox.

Does this baller installer create files ready to import into Launchbox to boot the tables right up?

Baller installer just gets VPX up an running with various all in one install sub components (e.g., DMDext, FlexDMD, VPinMAME).  VPinMAME is key item that needs to be installed whether you use all in one or do separately.  Pinup Popper is a component in the baller pack but you don't have to use it. 

As to LB, that is completely separate and has nothing to do with the baller installer.  Outside of LB you should make sure you have a working install of VPX whether you use the all in one or otherwise. 

Once that is done then for LB you have to do two things:

1. setup VPX as an "emulator"
  2.  import VPX extension tables into LB. 

There a variety of threads on #1 but briefly this is what looks like:

Screenshot2024-01-21134838.thumb.png.5ed33b9911e7055eb8b08f776aa399f1.png

Key is under the "Default Command Line Parameters you enter this (note: the primary key tells VPX to play table on main monitor, not needed for one screen but doesn't hurt either):

-primary -minimized -play

You will see some older threads using AHK and plugins to launch, that is no longer needed with the above. 

For #2:  you import games into LB having LB only look/import VPX extension files (the VPX tables).  An example for The Addams Family looks like below:

Screenshot2024-01-21135122.thumb.png.11d9f6f3bce99952ec7c14182bcd8f1d.png

Screenshot2024-01-21135517.thumb.png.f6aee9c70263abb886306884a06caeb7.png

Lastly, media for Future Pinball and Visual Pinball is not simple and requires a lot of manual care and feeding.  The LB database has some of the "real" pinball tables such as The Addams Family but overall you won't see a simple import into LB and search DB for media and all comes in with complete sets process.  Look in the download section for various sets. Also the more your tables stick to the "Back to the Future (Data East 1990).vpx" naming convention the more likely packs done by others will match more readily.  But overall there is no "standard" for pinball media (which Pinup Popper does help with). 

Edited by sundogak

Thanks! Can I leave those vpx-files zipped? In the huge pack I found everthing in subfolders is tagged with different Visual Pinball versions.

And another question, what about Future Pinball - would I miss some tables if I would skip that other software?

Edited by totoro

32 minutes ago, totoro said:

Thanks! Can I leave those vpx-files zipped? In the huge pack I found everthing in subfolders is tagged with different Visual Pinball versions.

And another question, what about Future Pinball - would I miss some tables if I would skip that other software?

No, you cannot leave them zipped.  Those zip files contain B2S files (back glass) and music in many cases along with media.  They also tend to have multiple versions in same zip (i.e. v1.01, 1.2).  VPX will not know what to do with files inside the zip.  VPX expects files to be in specific locations, particularly music. 

Stick with the folders that have "VPX" in title.  Skip the others such as VP1 through VP9 and ignore VPX lower version number tables by same author.   Most of the tables from VP9 and earlier have been redone in VPX at this point.  There is also no reason to have 5 different versions and it will just result in a lot of extra stuff to manage.

Future Pinball has advantages in some cases. Particularly now with BAM which patches some of the limitations of Future Pinball's ancient version (last updated in 2009).  I have both installed, but as for tables for most part they will all be in VPX if they are recreations.  Some original FP tables are not available in VPX (i.e., SlamT1LT's FP tables).  I would initially stick with VPX if starting off down the pinball path. 

Ok thanks. Now before I enter this rabbit hole: is it possible to set this up for one usecase for now on my Launchbox built and copy all VPX related stuff to a virtual pinball cabinet and switch from one screen display to 3 screen display?

I'd love to have everything ready for now, playing on the TV and somewhen with enough cash I'd like to invest in a full pinball cab and adress that one as well.

How long did you guys have to wait for the account activation mail to get signed in properly to VPforums?

I've been waiting for 12 hours now, admin-support didn't react either.

Edited by totoro

5 hours ago, totoro said:

How long did you guys have to wait for the account activation mail to get signed in properly to VPforums?

I've been waiting for 12 hours now, admin-support didn't react either.

It turned out VPforums-registration mailings do not work for some mail domains for whatever reason. Using a gmail-adress solved this.

On 1/23/2024 at 4:36 AM, totoro said:

Ok thanks. Now before I enter this rabbit hole: is it possible to set this up for one usecase for now on my Launchbox built and copy all VPX related stuff to a virtual pinball cabinet and switch from one screen display to 3 screen display?

I'd love to have everything ready for now, playing on the TV and somewhen with enough cash I'd like to invest in a full pinball cab and adress that one as well.

No, nothing that you will be able to slot directly in from a TV setup to a cab.  Monitor resolutions, DMD placement, back glass setup and positioning for cab will be different than one screen TV setup.  If you did a pre-cab setup with two screens so you have the back glass working you can adjust the resolutions specific to cab. But either way you will have work to do to manage.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I was wondering about 2 things while setting things up:

1. What about portability of all of this pinball software stuff?

I've installed everything into my Launchbox/Emulators directory but especially these additional DMD setups seem to write something into the windows registry.

I try to keep everything portable in my LB built.

Just changing the directory name from "Visual Pinball X" to "Visual Pinball" already broke everything and tables didn't run properly anymore.

2. Some games come with backglass files or media. I was wondering how your "tables" folder should look like?

I mean is it better to just keep the .vpx and backglass files in the tables directory or did you create subfolders for each one including extrafiles like ultradmds or whatelse not. I noticed things get pretty messy if I just unpack every table in that folder if I don't check for extra files. Not sure what to keep.

I think music files, if existing, are stored in the main directory, but some seemed to need subfolders whole others didn't. In the end most of the tables run but I'm a little lost whats the best folder structure to hold everything together nice and tidy.

Edited by totoro

1 hour ago, totoro said:

Unfortunately, not an option.  As you noted, the backglass server as well as VPX itself stores data in the Windows registry.

1 hour ago, totoro said:

2. Some games come with backglass files or media. I was wondering how your "tables" folder should look like?

That's a personal preference.  You can just put all tables (and their dependencies) in the Tables folder.  Personally, I think it's ugly.  And if it's not yet, it will once you start accumulating more tables. ;) 

I create subfolders in the Tables folder for each table.  Then for tables that are in a series or have different versions, I'll create sub-subfolders.

Example: Batman

image.png.f58a2ab92b0e72e7e2c964021e1b3e25.png

2 hours ago, totoro said:

Thanks. I was wondering about 2 things while setting things up:

I've installed everything into my Launchbox/Emulators directory but especially these additional DMD setups seem to write something into the windows registry.

I try to keep everything portable in my LB built.

Just changing the directory name from "Visual Pinball X" to "Visual Pinball" already broke everything and tables didn't run properly anymore.

I mean is it better to just keep the .vpx and backglass files in the tables directory or did you create subfolders for each one including extrafiles like ultradmds or whatelse not. I noticed things get pretty messy if I just unpack every table in that folder if I don't check for extra files. Not sure what to keep.

I think music files, if existing, are stored in the main directory, but some seemed to need subfolders whole others didn't. In the end most of the tables run but I'm a little lost whats the best folder structure to hold everything together nice and tidy.

• Pinball for most part is not fully portable whether you are talking Future Pinball, VPX, or Zen Pinball FX.  You can make them "kinda" portable at least for FP and VPX.
  • VPX and VPinMAME all install things in Windows Registry.  VPX is getting better about saving things outside registry but still need to re-run installer (or Baller installer) on any new setup and you may need merge registry settings depending on how setup initially.  For example this key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame has DMD positioning information that VPX uses by default unless you setup  a DMDDevice.ini file in your Visual Pinball\VPinMAME directory. At that point uses the file vs registry. 
  • Make sure you setup things so consistent drive mapping for both tables and the executables.  I personally would never put anything in the Launchbox directory, especially pinball stuff. 
  • I map a "G" drive.  That has LB, emulators, and all ROMs/Tables to run things.  Moving to new computer is easier and keeps things organized. 
  • My "emulators" directory contains my pinball executable and setup files. 
  • image.png.88d04fd6a1c2149814e999dace32dbff.png
  • For Tables I install each in their own folder.  If you look at guides particularly at the pinball sites and even some very long term VPX folks, they will swear the world will stop revolving if you put tables in folders.  I have +1K tables in folders and all work fine both for FP and VPX.  Plus it is massively messy to do it the "right" way as all files such as back glass (B2S) and VPX tables get thrown in the root of the tables directly, it is insane to manage.  VPX looks first there for anything it needs in the folder where the table is located and if not three looks to where it normally expects the file as fallback  There are two exceptions to this: Music and Scripts.  Music has to go in the Music folder and not in sub table folder.  Music is still hard coded in the table code so unless you want to edit table code, placing where expected is quickest/easiest. Scripts are the other (vbs extension).  I have found MOST times any scripts specific to the table can go in the same folder as the table.  However, if a table author hard coded a path in their table then I have had a few tables gag if not in proper Scripts folder (usually ones I didn't keep anyway).  
  • My setup looks like this (and is one of myriad of ways to do it):
    • image.png.38ed4c02f886c0b153b0c78f85d12c31.pngimage.thumb.png.1d66c8f62594095020fafe0021b06f88.pngimage.thumb.png.0077760ec518ac2d165e5d19deb15adf.png
    • If you have back glasses then if you name a "res" file the same as the table VPX will look there first and use those settings before it uses the general settings.txt file. Similarly for the B2STableSettings.xml.  The "directb2s" file is the back glass and typically should be the name of the VPX table. 
    • It also helps immensely to put a note in directory (or in the file name for VPX table) as to the version of table.  Your future self will thank you.  I also put notes to indicate if using a color DMD or PUP Pack. Don't need that if have a few tables but it makes life easier for upkeep/version control.

Overall I would would go and install the baller installer if not up to speed on all this. Make sure to use the beta Nov 2023 version as there have been lots of updates to VPX, B2S, and DMD code.  Don't be thrown off on the "beta" term.   ballerinsallv2311 [PinUP Virtual Pinball System] (nailbuster.com).  Follow the guide here.  baller_installer [PinUP Virtual Pinball System] (nailbuster.com)

That will get you the key pieces of software all installed so things will work even for things you think you may not want right now (say PinupPopper, PinupPlayer, DOF).  Then suggest you setup 5 or 6 tables in folder format you want to use and see how things go both outside LB and then getting things imported.  Then it is wash and repeat after that.  When you get cab you will have to revisit the res and DMD positioning aspects, as well as alter your VPX windows (to 3 screens) and controller mappings but you will have the base tables setup. 

Edited by sundogak

Thanks for the writeup, this helps a lot.

I did it like you guys and created extra folders per table to keep things organized. The only part I did differently: I've kept the version of the table in the folder name while renaming the vpx-file "Launchbox-Database-friendly".

While the Baller Installer is a great option, I went the "hard route" as troubleshooting is far easier when you know how things are tied together.

I guess I would use it on a cab though.

While the whole software part is not portable... I guess if I run the baller installer on a new machine and copy the game-related folders (tables, roms, music, nvrams), it should at least boot up the table just like before, right?

My idea is to make sure every table is running without errors, copy this game related stuff to a fresh install on a cab somewhen and "only" walk through the tables one more time to correct screen postions.

Should this work or do I have to start from scratch?

4 hours ago, totoro said:

Thanks for the writeup, this helps a lot.

I did it like you guys and created extra folders per table to keep things organized. The only part I did differently: I've kept the version of the table in the folder name while renaming the vpx-file "Launchbox-Database-friendly".

While the Baller Installer is a great option, I went the "hard route" as troubleshooting is far easier when you know how things are tied together.

I guess I would use it on a cab though.

While the whole software part is not portable... I guess if I run the baller installer on a new machine and copy the game-related folders (tables, roms, music, nvrams), it should at least boot up the table just like before, right?

My idea is to make sure every table is running without errors, copy this game related stuff to a fresh install on a cab somewhen and "only" walk through the tables one more time to correct screen postions.

Should this work or do I have to start from scratch?

It will boot but screen placement, backglass and DMDs will all have to be adjusted going from 1 to 3 screens.  Plus, if you don't download and setup B2S files for 2nd screen back glass you will have to do that as well.  In the end it will take time to move to new setup and no real way around that going from 1 to 3 screens. If keeping to small set of tables then won't be big issue.

I also wouldn't bother renaming anything specific to make LB DB happy unless going to stick with less than 100 or so tables. The DB is of limited value as it is currently setup for pinball media and primarily for recreations. But beyond that you will run into LB DB limitations. Plus there are many media packs outside the LB DB both here in LB download section and at the pinball sites with clear logos, table snaps, videos, flyers, docklets, and other media.  Predominantly they will be in format of table name, developer and year.  LB will match any media that matches the "rom" name (or table name in this case).   

13 hours ago, sundogak said:

It will boot but screen placement, backglass and DMDs will all have to be adjusted going from 1 to 3 screens.  Plus, if you don't download and setup B2S files for 2nd screen back glass you will have to do that as well.  In the end it will take time to move to new setup and no real way around that going from 1 to 3 screens. If keeping to small set of tables then won't be big issue.

I also wouldn't bother renaming anything specific to make LB DB happy unless going to stick with less than 100 or so tables. The DB is of limited value as it is currently setup for pinball media and primarily for recreations. But beyond that you will run into LB DB limitations. Plus there are many media packs outside the LB DB both here in LB download section and at the pinball sites with clear logos, table snaps, videos, flyers, docklets, and other media.  Predominantly they will be in format of table name, developer and year.  LB will match any media that matches the "rom" name (or table name in this case).   

Thanks, I always download the backglass files as well to have everything ready for a 3-screen setup somewhen.

After watching some Future Pinball videos I must say some tables look quite good, so I guess I will add this later on as a second option for some tables.

I would like to import all table filetypes of both emulators in one run when everything is ready, to combine more than one table.

Is it possible to tell launchbox "if vpx-Filetype, run with vpx" and "if future pinball-filetype, run with future pinball"?

2 hours ago, totoro said:

Thanks, I always download the backglass files as well to have everything ready for a 3-screen setup somewhen.

After watching some Future Pinball videos I must say some tables look quite good, so I guess I will add this later on as a second option for some tables.

I would like to import all table filetypes of both emulators in one run when everything is ready, to combine more than one table.

Is it possible to tell launchbox "if vpx-Filetype, run with vpx" and "if future pinball-filetype, run with future pinball"?

FP and VPX are setup as completely separate emulators within LB.  You also don't mix files with FP and VPX so tables will be in their respective folders along with the VPX and FP executable. 

1 minute ago, sundogak said:

FP and VPX are setup as completely separate emulators within LB.  You also don't mix files with FP and VPX so tables will be in their respective folders along with the VPX and FP executable. 

Yeah, so how did you do it for your collection? Add an additional version for each table, choosing future pinball as emulator I guess?

Maybe there is a bulk edit method to it instead of doing one table at a time, thats what I was wondering.